Batty

What upgrade from PHO-8?

I am having a bout of upgraditis and it is dragging me towards the Vincent PHO-8 Phonon pre. In itself there is nothing wrong with it, I like it,  just - well you know.

So my question is what can I upgrade (change) to for around $1500? new or nearly new are both on the table. 

The rest of the system consists of Townshend Rock II, RB250 with Van den Hul DDT-II cart, amp is Copland CSA29 or DIY pre/power, the pre is Elekit 8500. Speakers are Lenehan LK1 or Castle Howard S1.

I also have a couple of MM carts too, so that must be taken into account, I do however have a SUT with 1:10 ratio and a Boozehound Labs FET Pre Pre headamp.

G'day Steve, how you doin'.

I'm stil liking my Pho8, but if I was to upgrade and if I could afford it the 2 box HEED phono (Quassar ? ) would be my choice.

I tried @Capone  's HEED in my system once and it is the best brief listen I've heard with my set-up. Black Sabbath BASS as deep and tight as you could hope for with clear crisp upper notes..

Unfortunately I think the HEEDs are hard to find now.

9 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

perhaps the GK1 pre?

http://aksaonline.com/products/products.html

andyr here on SNA assembles  them on behalf of AKSA I believe

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/profile/104099-andyr/

he's worth a PM

regards Ian

Andy has contacted me.

35 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

perhaps the GK1 pre?

http://aksaonline.com/products/products.html

andyr here on SNA assembles  them on behalf of AKSA I believe

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/profile/104099-andyr/

he's worth a PM

regards Ian

Thanks, Ian but unfortunately, Hugh's GK-1 preamp (and its successor, the GK-2) ... are no more.  :(

However, they only ever had (if you selected that option) a very average phono stage section.

What I do assemble is Hugh's "Paris" head amp.

29 minutes ago, Batty said:

Andy has contacted me.

Indeed I did.  :)  To see if an MM Muse was of interest (given Steve has a SUT and a Boozehound head amp).

Andy

19 hours ago, Grumpy said:

G'day Steve, how you doin'.

I'm stil liking my Pho8, but if I was to upgrade and if I could afford it the 2 box HEED phono (Quassar ? ) would be my choice.

I tried @Capone  's HEED in my system once and it is the best brief listen I've heard with my set-up. Black Sabbath BASS as deep and tight as you could hope for with clear crisp upper notes..

Unfortunately I think the HEEDs are hard to find now.

@Batty

You can borrow my Heeds if you want to give them a go?

My TT is offline for another couple of months so not being used 👍

3 hours ago, Capone said:

@Batty

Hope Steve takes you up on your kind offer; would love to hear his thoughts of the HEED.

5 hours ago, Capone said:

@Batty

Sounds like a cool idea. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

The best value phono I've run in that price range is the Valab LCR-1 Mk2...... There's a Kitsune tuned edition of the Mk3 available. Likewise I think @andyr has a fantastic phono stage available which would be very hard to beat. Those would be my choices in that price range anyway. I know to better the Valab you pretty much have to triple the price.

Edited by MattyW

Thanks to Capone I now have the Heed hooked up, will have a good listen.

On 08/01/2020 at 11:26 AM, Batty said:

Thanks to Capone I now have the Heed hooked up, will have a good listen.

C'mon Steve, how's it sounding ?

It's very nice.

On 31/07/2020 at 3:40 PM, MattyW said:

The best value phono I've run in that price range is the Valab LCR-1 Mk2...... There's a Kitsune tuned edition of the Mk3 available. Likewise I think @andyr has a fantastic phono stage available which would be very hard to beat. Those would be my choices in that price range anyway. I know to better the Valab you pretty much have to triple the price.

+ for Valab....will trump most phonostgaes under 1500.

Cheapest LCR technoloy you can buy...

Graham Slee Accession or Reflex M would be my recommendation. I have the Pho-8 still and swap it in for MC use but use the GS products for MM.  I've both of them and I like hte Reflex M alot but the Accession just edges it out.

There is a loaner program you can utilise, check with @cheekyboy he is best to talk to re the program and how to go about it.  There are a number of Graham Sleee users here.

This was in the classifeds today, its close to half price. Cant go wrong with this IMHO..

Edited by 08Boss302

Two other options are:

Golden Age Audio Reference Phono (Lovetube/Duc's Phono) and Bakoon EQA-11R

They are better than most under 1500.00 category. 

And I don't think there is a valve phono stage that is closer to Duc's phono at that price category....

With Bakoon cartridge loading is thing in the past.

33 minutes ago, pulinap said:

Two other options are:

C'mon, P - I would suggest Duc's phono stage is highly unlikely to be available.  Everyone I know who has one ... ain't selling!  :)

Andy

34 minutes ago, pulinap said:

Two other options are:

They are better than most under 1500.00 category. 

And I don't think there is a valve phono stage that is closer to Duc's phono at that price category....

With Bakoon cartridge loading is thing in the past.

I’m not sure suggesting an unobtainium rare unit is useful?  I’ve been keeping an eye out for one for ages, but remember these are no longer made (rip Duk) and he only made a few in the first place.....

+1 for Valab LCR1.  

Don’t discount something from Lehmann - the Black Cube SE for example.  I’ve found it to be excellent for well under your budget (although haven’t compared to your unit....

Also get in touch with Jon from OAD in Melbourne - I. Yet to hear his phono stage but I’m told it’s great.  May be out of budget though....

Happy hunting!

On 04/08/2020 at 10:14 AM, andyr said:

C'mon, P - I would suggest Duc's phono stage is highly unlikely to be available.  Everyone I know who has one ... ain't selling!  :)

Andy

I sold mine....haha and so did Pete......you just need to be patient..... ;)

Edited by pulinap

On 04/08/2020 at 10:18 AM, Mat-with-one-t said:

I’m not sure suggesting an unobtainium rare unit is useful?  I’ve been keeping an eye out for one for ages, but remember these are no longer made (rip Duk) and he only made a few in the first place.....

+1 for Valab LCR1.  

Don’t discount something from Lehmann - the Black Cube SE for example.  I’ve found it to be excellent for well under your budget (although haven’t compared to your unit....

Also get in touch with Jon from OAD in Melbourne - I. Yet to hear his phono stage but I’m told it’s great.  May be out of budget though....

Happy hunting!

Wouldn't have suggested if they are unobtainium....there are better phonostages than Duc's and when people upgrade they have sold them here on SNA plenty times....

Just put an ad on WTB section...you never know....;)

Edited by pulinap