Subsonique

Buying AVR's from overseas advice ...

Does anyone have any experiences of buying / using an AVR that they bought overseas. 

I'm considering getting a Denon 6500h from the UK as it's about 1/2 the price of buying one

out here. 

Apart from the obvious warranty issues, anything else to watch for? 

Thanks 

I still use a Denon AVR-4810 from Singapore (circa 2010). No issues have required warranty / repair.  

You may want to enquire about how you can access any future firmware upgrades as they may be region blocked or at least ask the seller to make sure it is on the latest firmware before shipping. As the 6500h has been available for a while you should be fine after that.

Units from the UK will be fine (220 -240V) for our power supply.

Past warranty, you cannot get it repaired because local distributor will not provide spare parts. 

I have taken a different approach and purchased other brands that did not have the Oz premium.

i wouldnt encourage to grey private import something like avr - if looking for bargain look 2nd hand or demo run out ... or even back catalog... you mostly probably find you dont need latest greatest and previous model likely do all ever need ! 

with updates its possible can brick the thing..rare ...but happens

also these things are more and increasingly complex... so much is cutting edge ... means more chance flaky... play up need attention

eg denon marantz wont get supported locally... you wont even get parts for it supplied by local importer...why should they ? 

and for good reason ... resale is gmoigmn to be carp....and i know some folks dont declare ....but its a reality...

cost of shipping and time taken to get back is crazy too and especially in these covid times and likely to carry on, shipping anything back forth especially heavy bulky like avr is not great thing to be doing.... let alone sending off someplace to get fixed !  

think about what happens if item received is even DOA ... can happen.... things can be DOA .. 

and also have no consumer rights ...and what about after sales....

Risk/value proposition - as others have noted the downsides, I'll try to add 'value'.

• Arrange for a test of the unit, if possible, update the firmware over there, retest, then carefully repacked and sealed, de-risk DOA
  • Insurance for shipping, if that can be arranged
  • GST on import - factor this cost, you may also end up having to go to customs to retrieve it
  • Delivery time - if you can wait and wait and wait
  • Buy an AU plug to replace the UK - another expense

I bought in Singapore and arranged a friend to test and fly in with it, so duties free.

Which sort of begs the question, yet again. Why do some brands have such exorbitant premiums here in Australia?

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Past warranty, you cannot get it repaired because local distributor will not provide spare parts

Do you have experience of this Snoopy?

In my case I used my Denon overseas for years before returning to Australia. I would be disappointed not to get any paid for support from local importers if required - they should properly support the brand. 

2 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

In my case I used my Denon overseas for years before returning to Australia. I would be disappointed not to get any paid for support from local importers if required - they should properly support the brand. 

yes there have been enough instances of this over years ....their obligation ends with items they imported. even brands like canon with worldwide warranties publicly have stated they wont support overseas bought ...legaly there is nothing  binding them either... if you want overseas traveller program with canon they have that...but thats it ...

28 minutes ago, Cichlabxr said:

Which sort of begs the question, yet again. Why do some brands have such exorbitant premiums here in Australia?

cost of doing business... out little tiny market....

people compare to us ...think of their volumes and volume pricing their importer gets ...vs pitiful amount we sell here 

ask self what folk get paid here vs pittance work for in the us... they dont even get 4 weeks annual leave there vs 2 weeks all get and such...

we also have a retailer structure... many countries like us completely miss... hence loose out on opportunity to have a retailer you can go demo with and such. can't have your cake and eat it too...

anyways been done death many many times now on forums ...

17 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

Maybe you can show that you were overseas for a while?  But as @betty boop said, there is no obligation to support a product purchased overseas. Very few brands have global support.

And unless an item is very expensive, it is often cheaper to buy a replacement than getting repaired, especially in Australia.

people compare to us ...think of their volumes and volume pricing their importer gets ...vs pitiful amount we sell here 

ask self what folk get paid here vs pittance work for in the us... they dont even get 4 weeks annual leave there vs 2 weeks all get and such...

Yes that makes a lot of sense. The other downside in a small market, it is quite easy to monopolise certain brands.

9 hours ago, betty boop said:

i wouldnt encourage to grey private import something like avr - if looking for bargain look 2nd hand or demo run out ... or even back catalog... you mostly probably find you dont need latest greatest and previous model likely do all ever need ! 

with updates its possible can brick the thing..rare ...but happens

also these things are more and increasingly complex... so much is cutting edge ... means more chance flaky... play up need attention

eg denon marantz wont get supported locally... you wont even get parts for it supplied by local importer...why should they ? 

and for good reason ... resale is gmoigmn to be carp....and i know some folks dont declare ....but its a reality...

cost of shipping and time taken to get back is crazy too and especially in these covid times and likely to carry on, shipping anything back forth especially heavy bulky like avr is not great thing to be doing.... let alone sending off someplace to get fixed !  

think about what happens if item received is even DOA ... can happen.... things can be DOA .. 

and also have no consumer rights ...and what about after sales....

Thanks for the feedback .. 

9 hours ago, WasM said:

Risk/value proposition - as others have noted the downsides, I'll try to add 'value'.

• Arrange for a test of the unit, if possible, update the firmware over there, retest, then carefully repacked and sealed, de-risk DOA
  • Insurance for shipping, if that can be arranged
  • GST on import - factor this cost, you may also end up having to go to customs to retrieve it
  • Delivery time - if you can wait and wait and wait
  • Buy an AU plug to replace the UK - another expense

I bought in Singapore and arranged a friend to test and fly in with it, so duties free.

Great advice for helping to mitigate the risk. Thanks