SUPEROX

YAMAHA CX5200 VS MARANTZ 7705 VS ANTHEM AVM60 sound comparison ?

Hello Guys,

I am a normally Hi-fi (2 channel) person and at this stage, due to the corona virus, we have been watching a lot of netflix and wanting to upgrade my 2 channel system and add on a movie theater sound system.

Yamaha - my brother owned yamaha processor years ago (10 years ago) and I found them to be "shrilly" with lots of these DSP that it pretty useless.  My question is has this CX 5200 achieved an improvement worthy of the competitor from Anthem AVM60 and Marantz 7705 ?  If I want to listen to 2 channel music through Yamaha, will it kill my ears...  :)

Marantz - I owned Marantz SR7000 receiver before...  (that shows my age) and loved it for being "sweet sounding".  How has the sound of the 7705 change now ?  I read from review that this unit is very sensitive to HF noise...  do you guys have any problem with noise ?

Anthem AVM60 - This unit seems to be the queen of home theater specially its ARC room correction, was there any major issue with software upgrade that I should worry ?  How does Anthem 2 channel sound compare to Marantz vs Yamaha...

I would really appreciate peoples experience....  Part of this will be funded from my job keeper fund...so need to spend wisely.. :) 

Thank you!!

Posted (edited)

Be aware that most surround Pre/Pro's will NOT be at their best when used as a stereo Pre amp.

If you are seriously into stereo then a dedicated Stereo Pre or even a DAC/PRE would provide better stereo SQ than any of the Pre/Pro's you mention.

I run my active ATC's with an Integra DHC 80.3 Pre/Pro which I am very happy with for HT.........

but for stereo my ATC CA MK2 Pre destroys it.

( I see YOU have active ATC 's too so bear this in mind!!!!)........maybe you need both too....

OTOH.......If you like the idea of using DSP for stereo and prefer a "one box solution" then my recommendation would be the Anthem AVM60 as I have heard good things about the latest iteration of ARC.

I assume you are planning to acquire more power amps for the centre and surround channels down the track?

Anyway........just my opinion FWIW as I haven't heard any of your contenders!!!!!!............LOL🙂 

Edited by JohnL

Hi John,

Yeah.. ATC active eat preamp for lunch indeed!  I have managed to tamed it using Supratek Chardonnay preamp and I am happy but I am really curious doing those ATMOS with ceiling speakers.  For my center speaker, I am using active speaker from ATC as well then will probably flog the rest using my old PIONEER SCLX85 RECEIVER as power amp using the 9 channel input it has.

thanks and looking forward to other opinion.  Preamp for me I believe is the key to good sound... (or in this instance.. AV processor/preamp)

How are you planing to incorporate the Pre in the system, I don't believe your YBA Pre has HT bypass ? None os them will be anything like as good for 2ch, but if you can do HT bypass than all good

11 hours ago, SUPEROX said:

Marantz - I owned Marantz SR7000 receiver before...  (that shows my age) and loved it for being "sweet sounding".  How has the sound of the 7705 change now ?  I read from review that this unit is very sensitive to HF noise...  do you guys have any problem with noise ?

Anthem AVM60 - This unit seems to be the queen of home theater specially its ARC room correction, was there any major issue with software upgrade that I should worry ?  How does Anthem 2 channel sound compare to Marantz vs Yamaha...

i do believe all these will be good... there are some differences in eq and measurement systems ... marantz and denon audyssey is simplest easiest to use. the arc is antiquated in use by comparison... yamaha i am not sure does bass sub bass best justice... but its small fry.. i wouldnt limit choice of unit on this factor alone.

there is some difference in sound - sonics..

the marantz have always been bug free fault free vs most...no surprises....

there is a 7705 in the used for sales...

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, betty boop said:

the arc is antiquated in use by comparison... 

Mmmm,  arc (Anthem Room Correction) is antiquated???  Both ARC Genesis i.e. V3 and Dirac Live are among the best room correction software and easy to use. If you are referring of the need to enter speaker distances for ARC, Anthem believe that it is more accurate. 

12 hours ago, SUPEROX said:

The AVM60 is reasonable for 2 channel music because of better analog circuitry and ARC.  But, get a dedicated stereo integrated or prepro if music focused

36 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

How are you planing to incorporate the Pre in the system, I don't believe your YBA Pre has HT bypass ? 

There is a workaround without HT bypass. Note the volume on the pre when calibrating the HT setup and reuse it. Not as convenient as HT bypass but it works.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

13 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Mmmm,  arc (Anthem Room Correction) is antiquated???  Both ARC Genesis i.e. V3 and Dirac Live are among the best room correction software and easy to use. If you are referring of the need to enter speaker distances for ARC, Anthem believe that it is more accurate. 

havent "used" audyssey then for setup and EQ ... yes arc and way go about is very 1999 :D tape measures and spl meter... but as i also said 

42 minutes ago, betty boop said:

but its small fry.. i wouldnt limit choice of unit on this factor alone.

15 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The AVM60 is reasonable for 2 channel music because of better analog circuitry and ARC.  But, get a dedicated stereo integrated or prepro if music focused

op is using suratek Chardonnay I believe came with ht bypass...

hello...  yeah... I need to ask Supratek about HT bypass...  Anyway, I decided to purchase Shane's AV7705 here on Stereonet....  lets see how it works...