I have $4500 that I need to spend on a sub.

My current system is LS50W's. That's it :)

Requirements, there can only be 1 sub (any size should fit).

I could not get wife approval for 2. Dang!

Use case will be for music & HT.

Room size is 8m x 5.3m

Considerations, I live in a Duet, so a neighbour is right next door, so won't have the sub on full blast ever. So we need to limit SPL a bit.

I'm pretty new in the AV world, so am asking a bit of guidance please.

Healthy budget but If you double it you can have my Wilson Audio  Watchdog 2 sub with controller and Audio Research monoblock amp. 😝

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 1

REL t7i is very popular pairing to the LS50W.

Your budget allows you to get two.

Which is always recommended as your room is actually quiet large.

Single sub will not be enough, and also will likely have mode issues.

Based on your room dimension the standing wave will be at the 50hz, which will be quiet obvious to your ears.

But if you must go single.

SVS-3000 is always a popular choice.

Made very well, and sealed design is best if you want both music and theatre.

• Like 1

Second hand JL Audio f112 / f113 would be a really good option.

If it is more Music than theatre a Brand new a Rel S812 or JL Audio e112 would be good options. They would also do Cinema quite well.

If the  priority is cinema over music I would go with the SVS sb16.

• Like 1

I’ve tried quite a few different subs with the LS50W in different rooms.

From my experience, assuming you use your LS50W for music I would suggest go with REL.  

$4500 is a very healthy budget, and you could easily pick up the incredible S/812.  If you don’t want to spend your whole budget, then the T/9i can be had for circa $2k and is an awesome sub for the money.

• Like 1

Can only be 1 sub within that budget? Can't be 2 smaller subs within the same budget?

If its two then 2x SVS SB-2000 Pro, because of the inbuilt DSP.

If its only 1 sub only then I would recommend SVS SB-3000, partly because of the inbuilt DSP.

If you would rather not buy SVS then I would encourage you to still look at subs with DSP built in, or look at something like MiniDSP SHD Studio between the source and LS50W+Sub. I mention this as I am under the impression that the LS50W sub out is limited to 40Hz as lowest frequency as per:

"Sub-Out Low-Pass Frequency

This setting allows you to set the frequencies sent to your external subwoofer via the sub-out connection. The range is 40 Hz to 250 Hz and the default setting is 80 Hz. Experiment with you speakers, subwoofer and room to find the best low-pass filter setting for your taste."

But check the newest version of the manual.

Edited by gwurb

There is no shelf filter on the sub out on the LS50W.  40 hz is simply the lowest available low pass filter frequency setting.  I can’t imagine a scenario where you would want to crossover at lower than 40hz though...

4 minutes ago, POV said:

There is no shelf filter on the sub out on the LS50W.  40 hz is simply the lowest available low pass filter frequency setting.  I can’t imagine a scenario where you would want to crossover at lower than 40hz though...

Thanks for that clarification. The text seems a bit confusing.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tamtu
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Fairlight, 2094 State: NSW Payment Method: Cash on pickup, Paypal, EFT Reason for selling: Wife thinks it's too big Further information:
      Selling a ELAC SUB3010 subwoofer with Bluetooth and built in room correction. Sounds great and great value subwoofer! The room correction is ingenious, only using your phone's microphone to calibrate.

Bought from Apollo HiFi in Sydney last spring, receipts available.

My wife thinks it's too big for the living room physically, and it's actually too big for the study

Since it's a couple of months old it's in great condition, there's a tiny dink on the top right corner.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
    • By neilz2170
      Item Condition: Used excellent condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: sydney State: NSW Payment Method: Cash Reason for selling: Baby Further information:

Due to baby, can only support one of my subs so selling the other.
      May have very slight blemish due to its high gloss finish.
      Can play small amount of music at low volume but other then that to show guarantee its fully operational.

Warranty till February 2023.

Do not have the original packaging. Have additional 3M power cable included with it.

Will help with moving and may transport at a reasonable distance within Sydney for FREE.
      If possible trolley is required and 2 men minimum.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
    • By **ZEP**
      Item Condition: Great Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Highett State: VIC Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: No Longer Required Further information:
      My Precious Subwoofer is up for sale! If you think all subs are the same, think again....I learned that lesson with compromising on a cheap alternative years ago. No sub sounds quite like a REL.....

This very musical sub has never failed to deliver....it’s extremely tuneable and had underpinned my low end for years, but alas it’s time to go! Full size speakers are coming!! Low level and High Level Inputs, I'll even include the High Level Lead in the sale.

No smoking , pet free home!! 

Item can be shipped but it will be as freight with a freight courier! Please send me a message with your postcode for a quote. 

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By hiphile
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Oakleigh South State: VIC Payment Method: EFT Reason for selling: Downsizing Further information:
       Sonos Sub Gen 2 in white - immaculate condition. Purchased late 2018.

Note: rubber fig plant not included in sale

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
    • By TimSkye
      Item Condition: Mint Condition (2 months used) Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Cronulla State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT (OSKO PAY) or Cash Reason for selling: moving house, everything must go! Further information:  I'll keep them plugged in so you have a quick listen.  (Stands sold seperately if you want them too)

Photos: