Dave1547

Vintage audio newbie

Hi all, new member looking forward to discussing speaker and set up possibilities for a new to me 1970s stereo receiver. I've been looking forward to getting into this for a long time now! Can't wait to hear this thing! Thanks Dave

Welcome from Melbourne, hope you enjoy your self on the s/net. Jap 

Same here Dave! Very exited.

Thanks guys. Got the unit and Im stoked with how it performs and sounds! Still experimenting but very happy! Now to get some big speakers that let it sing free 😁

20200814_112140.jpg

20200814_112148.jpg

Posted (edited)

There's a bit of a write up of what appears to be the same receiver under the banner of Project/One on page 81 of this magazine from 1978

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1978-04.pdf

Also, there seems to be a popular theory that they were made by Pioneer, but this guy's post on another forum disputes the theory

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/project-one-mark-ivb-what-is-this.231590/#post-9209616

And welcome to the forum 🙂

Edited by bob_m_54

Thanks heaps Bob and for the welcome dudes!

Yeah I had come across that reading material in my research before grabbing this one - had drawn the relation between the two units - and guys who have the Project One seem to like them so took the punt and I really like this one also. 

Same concept as the Project One as far as made in Japan on their behalf, this one being Callenge I can ascertain was made for Challenge HiFi in Adelaide back in the day.

Looks and sound output ticks the boxes for me and couldn't afford to start with Pioneer or the likes just yet. On the hunt for some big speakers now! Thinking Realistic Mach Ones or something but thats another story ive covered in the wanted to buy section of this great forum! Otherwise suggestions welcome 😁

Certainly  got its fair share of vu meters

Great looking unit and mint condition, not knowing anything about it I'd take a punt also 

Well done 

Yeah everything works great, its big, hefty, well built and laid out, quality internal components and 75WPC. Im a sucker for warm backlighting and VU meters haha 😁 

Any options anyone can suggest other than what Ive already mentioned for suitable big period correct floor speakers? It needs it! im using and bottoming out a set of old 70s AWAs presently and want to keep with vintage and within reasonable price (not multiple 1000s but decent). Hence my mach one thoughts

Posted (edited)

There are a few quality vintage speakers that fly under the radar here, but fetch good money in their place of origin 

Celestion Ditton 44's or 25's - 15" bass 

Acoustic Research AR11 - the AR3a are the business but command a bit of money, I have some large bookshelf the 2ax's that sound great that you can get quite cheap for the sound they produce

Early 70's B&W the DM series are good buying 

Some of the Altec Lansing's look good for the money, I've only heard the Valencia's - massive sound 

unfortunately all the really good vintage speakers are a hot ticket at the mo like Amps and fetch big money. 

My Pick are the 44's if you can find them I have a pair I'm about to restore........... one day 

Edited by Powerglide

17 hours ago, david j said:

Certainly  got its fair share of vu meters

Yep, two of them, as you'd expect for a stereo amp ;-). but it also has a signal level meter and a tuning dip meter, for the tuner ;-)

Yeah i like the 44s powerglide, in fact I like a number of those models. Thanks for the very good suggestions, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any of those coming up. With regards to the B & W DMs, did you have particular models in mind? Not like 220s hey ( I think theyre 80s arent they and you said early 70s)

Yeah like the 220 but their predecessor DM14 purely for looks though, don't think B&W did or have done any big singles woofers? not may duds in their stable. 

Klispsch Heresy could be an option also 

Welcome Dave and that is a beautiful looking Receiver you have there. Vintage Hi-Fi is rewarding for those that are patient.

Thanks guys for your input and recommendations! Im hooked and this has become a long term interest fast 😁👍!

right stuff wrong state

I've mentioned that Audio magazine archive in other forums before. It's an absolute gold mine of info!

1000's of equipment reviews, DIY articles and much much more!

Published between 1947 - 2000. I was an eager buyer of this excellent magazine from the late 70's through to the 90's

The annual equipment directory published in the Oct issue from 1980 has more specs on equipment than you can poke a stick at!!

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Audio-Magazine.htm

< Audio Engineering magazine began publishing in May, 1947 with a new focus from its predecessor, "Radio". 
The title changed to "Audio" in February, 1954, with a graphic redesign. The first 7 years focused on technology and engineering, while the later issues highlighted consumer electronics and music.
"Audio" published reviews of audio products and audio technology as well as featuring informational articles on topics such as acoustics, psychoacoustics and recording.
Audio was a direct successor to "Radio" magazine, started in the 20's.
Audio's final appearance was the combined February/March issue in 2000, making it the longest running audio magazine ever.
For a further history of Audio, see the Wikipedia article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_(magazine)

regards Ian