Sharing my 1st impressions with Sonas Faber

Hi Everyone!

Recently acquired Sonas Faber's entry level range - the Sonetto V floorstanders. Paired with a Marantz PM14S1SE I am loving the combination - especially the balance and tonality. It feels like a good match for the types of music I listen to (Reggae & Rock). The speakers have decent lower bass performance and feel perfectly balanced across its frequency range. They do alright without the need for subwoofers. I do have a dual sub setup at home for HT - so I have also got them connected to the stereo amp, which is a bonus.

So far quite happy with the setup. Most times I don't turn the subs on in stereo - and I can enjoy music for hours without fatigue. Loving it.

Wondering if there are others in the group who have experiences with this, or a similar, setup?

Would love to hear your thoughts, ideas and recommendations as I build.

New to the forum, and keen to learn and share along the way :)

Best regards
Ravin

• Like 7

Hi Ravin, 

Always good to hear that you're enjoying your setup. I have a sonus faber setup. I have a pair of pre-loved Sonus Faber Concertos on my desk (old dining table that we no longer use for meals), with a Cambridge Audio CXA81 amp, Willsenton R8 tube amp, REL T7i sub and Bluesound 2i. 

I'm very happy and enjoy listening to the music. I like the Sonus Faber characteristic, like you said, no fatigue. Its intimate and musical and handles what I like to listen to very well. When I work, its nearfield listening. When I want to relax, I just roll back the chair for about a metre or so, and the listening experience changes. The sub is there and its turned on 1/4 of the time. When I work, the sub is off.

The old Concertos also need some periodic external maintenance which I like to do. 

Hi 2DCulture

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can identify with some of what you’re saying. Especially the near field listening while working - it creates beautiful ambience. In the evenings I sit about 2.5 meters away from the Sonetto V’s - recline and relax. I find myself not watching much TV these days :)

My set up comprises of  Marantz SR6014 AVR, Sonetto V, Sonetto Centre II, JL Audio Fathom F112v2’s - which gets me by for HT, and the Marantz PM14S1SE for 2ch music - which is my favourite bit :)

Your system sounds beautiful - and the Concertos are very sweet sounding from what I’ve heard abt them - would love to hear them one day!

Hope I can share more of my journey here ...

take care

On 29/07/2020 at 3:22 PM, Ravin said:

Recently acquired Sonas Faber's entry level range - the Sonetto V floorstanders. Paired with a Marantz PM14S1SE

Hi Ravin

I have to correct you regarding entry level.

I have a pair of Chamelon T floor standers which qualify more as entry level.

I am finding the T's to be awesome especially with a lot of power behind them and have no lust urging me to replace them anytime soon.

I was listening to some Stones, love you live recently and it sounded like Charley was in the room banging away.

Happy listening.

2 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

I have a pair of Chamelon T floor standers which qualify more as entry level.

Then my concertos are the grand daddy of entry level.. ahahahaha! I read somewhere the concerto range was the model to make the sonus faber range more accessible to main stream folks. Doesn't say entry level more than that. They tried to cut some corners to lower the price but the end result was sonically very good. People still praise the concertinos. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ravin said:

Hi 2DCulture

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can identify with some of what you’re saying. Especially the near field listening while working - it creates beautiful ambience. In the evenings I sit about 2.5 meters away from the Sonetto V’s - recline and relax. I find myself not watching much TV these days :)

My set up comprises of  Marantz SR6014 AVR, Sonetto V, Sonetto Centre II, JL Audio Fathom F112v2’s - which gets me by for HT, and the Marantz PM14S1SE for 2ch music - which is my favourite bit :)

Your system sounds beautiful - and the Concertos are very sweet sounding from what I’ve heard abt them - would love to hear them one day!

Hope I can share more of my journey here ...

take care

Aww.. sounds like you're really enjoying yourself. That's wonderful to hear ? 

Do keep sharing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2Dculture said:

Then my concertos are the grand daddy of entry level.. ahahahaha!

There's always someone that has to challenge for the entry level.

Seems they are all putting out good sound with many happy listeners.

I am one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hazzzy said:

I have to correct you regarding entry level.

Oops - goes to show how much of a newbie I am :) And I agree - I am one very happy listener of the SF speaker .....

1 hour ago, 2Dculture said:

Aww.. sounds like you're really enjoying yourself. That's wonderful to hear ? 

Do keep sharing.

Thanks mate! Loving it - totally :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I too have Chameleon T floor standers. As Hazzzy said, they are entry level but have Sonus Faber DNA into it and sounds great.

I use Marantz SR6003 in stereo mode, Preamp out taken and connected to tube amp. Marantz's front speaker out connected to woofer of Sonus and tube amp speaker out connected to Mids and highs (Bi-amping using two amplifiers).

The good thing about Sonus is that they have 3rd order crossover for woofers (tweeters too) and midrange is almost Full Range driver. This avoids crossing over woofer signals as speaker's cross over does it all.

The benefit of above configuration is that I get the solid base response of Solid State amplifier and melodious mids and highs of tube amplifier without braking banks.

With this configuration you don't have to use expensive tube amp (which are better in lower frequency performance than cheap tube amps) and get the benefit of both worlds.

Ordered Willsenton R8 with EL34 to get benefit of EL34 sound with solid base performance.

Edited by Atmaj
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Atmaj said:

Ordered Willsenton R8 with EL34 to get benefit of EL34 sound with solid base performance.

Hope you like it. I've been very happy with mine. Would be interested how you go with the EL34 tubes. I'm running the KT88s.

I don't know what got into me but I subsequently ordered the preamp upgrades and they were good too. The setup matches really well with the SFs in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, 2Dculture said:

Hope you like it. I've been very happy with mine. Would be interested how you go with the EL34 tubes. I'm running the KT88s.

I don't know what got into me but I subsequently ordered the preamp upgrades and they were good too. The setup matches really well with the SFs in my opinion. 

Good to know that you are happy with Willsenton R8. I ordered EL34 as I already have Yaqin MC-100B (mods done with Cap and pre-amp tubes) which runs on KT88. And yes, tube rolling in pre-amp is also on board.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2020 at 3:22 PM, Ravin said:

Recently acquired Sonas Faber's entry level range - the Sonetto V floorstanders. Paired with a Marantz PM14S1SE I am loving the combination -

On 30/07/2020 at 8:27 PM, Ravin said:

Especially the near field listening while working - it creates beautiful ambience.

Hi Ravin,

Welcome to the SF family ! I recently purchased a pair of old Concertino's to do up a small listening room for my old man.. I was blown away by the musical nature of the speaker and impressed by the bass range running off a Marantz PM500. 

Best listening was near field as well, without much toe-in. 

I do notice the lack of 'air' in recordings though, while they are super sweet, they are perhaps not the most revealing speaker. 

Hey mate - congrats on setting up your dad’s listening area.

I find the tonality of SF quite pleasant. I auditioned a number of other popular brands before acquiring these. 

Not sure if it varies too much between models, and I have my floor standing Sonneto Vs being driven by marantz pm14 and it sounds quite musical - and as you say “sweet”. They’re on almost all day and I love the enveloping touch and tonality - I cant get enough. I just wanna listen more :)

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, mm.pulp said:

Hahahaha, enjoy it while it lasts! In a few days you'll be reassessing cables or power, surely ! ? 

hahaha - signs are showing. I am watching the "classifieds" section like a hawk - I don't know what I am looking for right now, but my inner voice tells me there will be a good deal, and I would need that product all of a sudden :)

Edited by Ravin
  • Haha 1

Hi Ravin, congrats on the SF’s. I’m not sure if you bought them new, if so my experience with the Olympica iii’s is that they just get better, more relaxed and open the more hours you get on them. You’ve described them well, it’s hard to stop listening!

22 minutes ago, Godot said:

Hi Ravin, congrats on the SF’s. I’m not sure if you bought them new, if so my experience with the Olympica iii’s is that they just get better, more relaxed and open the more hours you get on them. You’ve described them well, it’s hard to stop listening!

Thanks for the message. Yes I bought them new. The Olympica III’s must be magical :) 

I am looking forward to the music getting better as I put on the hours. 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2020 at 1:39 PM, mm.pulp said:

Hi Ravin,

Welcome to the SF family ! I recently purchased a pair of old Concertino's to do up a small listening room for my old man.. I was blown away by the musical nature of the speaker and impressed by the bass range running off a Marantz PM500. 

Best listening was near field as well, without much toe-in. 

I do notice the lack of 'air' in recordings though, while they are super sweet, they are perhaps not the most revealing speaker. 

Sorry folks to join thread late in the piece .... I’ve been busy of late...

Good on you @Ravinfor seeking out  the joys of SF speakers.  I had Concertinos for a year or so as mains  ( now in a 2nd system, but I may part with them soon ),  but I was lucky to pickeup some Cremona Auditors with original stands several years ago and have been very happy. ?

no need to reiterate what others have said about the sound.  I’m a fan.  But here’s a recent learning re: ‘air’ in the sound.

This has probably been one of the slight frustrations with them up until a week ago.  I’ve tried various interconnects with varying degrees of success over time  but no stand outs.  But then I tried some test interconnects from Garry Cawsey  that were much more transparent than what I would normally consider.   OMG the slight muddiness and dark tonality lightened up, and there was much more focus and air .....   Open, airy but still with drive, musicality and huge soundstage.  I wasn’t expecting that all - my jaw was on the floor.

So my suggestion is that if you love the SF sound experiment widely if you can with different interconnects ( source, dac, pre, power ). Beg or borrow them from mates and find out what works .... and then watch the classifieds or lash out for some new ones that work. 

I do love SF speakers, but i can find them boxed-in at times, veiled and a little claustrophobic perhaps depending upon my mood..  But if you find the right combo of cables and they can really let go and you will hear some magic.  

Oh, and they do seem to like some grunt behind them and don’t seem to like being under-powered 

happy testing !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lumholtzii said:

Oh, and they do seem to like some grunt behind them and don’t seem to like being under-powered 

Thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.

I currently run the stereo setup with the Marantz PM14S1 (pubished 140 watts + 140 watts into 4 ohms). Would that be under powered, you reckon? If so, how would I beef up the power in this case?

I've got comon feedback that SF's like a bit of juice :) 

Cheers

With my limited experience, I noticed the entry level speakers are less fussed on power but the higher end ones need that little bit more kick. 140w to me is more than enough unless you're really pushing the speakers. But could be how loud you like your music.

That said, I think most speakers respond better to better quality amps but coz of the SF sound and the colouration, the pairing is more important? 

On the air part, I think the speakers plays a part. The higher you go in the range, the music starts to change, I think the components like cables will help narrow the gap but after some time, you might hit a wall. I got a pair of pre-loved concertos and a pair of pre-loved guarneris. They are just different. Imaging, soundstage, transparency, air, etc. Pianos sound better on the concerto, strings sound better on the guarneri.  Building the older SFs is like a black art.. can't get enough of them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, 2Dculture said:

With my limited experience, I noticed the entry level speakers are less fussed on power but the higher end ones need that little bit more kick. 140w to me is more than enough unless you're really pushing the speakers. But could be how loud you like your music.

That said, I think most speakers respond better to better quality amps but coz of the SF sound and the colouration, the pairing is more important? 

On the air part, I think the speakers plays a part. The higher you go in the range, the music starts to change, I think the components like cables will help narrow the gap but after some time, you might hit a wall. I got a pair of pre-loved concertos and a pair of pre-loved guarneris. They are just different. Imaging, soundstage, transparency, air, etc. Pianos sound better on the concerto, strings sound better on the guarneri.  Building the older SFs is like a black art.. can't get enough of them. 

The Sonetto’s don’t sound bad with the Marantz - I like the pairing and I don’t listen loud at all.  I love the overall balance the speaker is able to maintain with music.

I had paired the speakers with the Musical Fidelity M6i as well, and it created a slightly different sound - I prefer the warmer marantz pairing as it complements the SF tonality a tad better  (my amateur ears).

20 minutes ago, gypr1961 said:

I've got olympica iii, the 55w lavardin itx I've got drives them better than a lot of other higher wattage amps I've tried. amps 

Gotcha! I prefer detail over outright loudness - well until the day the kids transition to teenage years and have parties :)