Hello everyone, been lurking for a while so I thought I'd make my presence known. Ready to spoil myself with a decent Amp ($1500 budget) and Bookshelf Speakers ($1000 budget). Any suggestions would be welcome!

Posted (edited)

What size room and music type?

Try these in your local audio shops and search for several recent similar post discussions in this and other posts

https://www.lenc.com.au/blogs/news/the-10-best-integrated-amplifiers

https://www.whathifi.com/au/best-buys/hi-fi/best-budget-hi-fi-speakers

Also, look at Aust made speakers like Ascension and Krix.

Used budget will get you increased 2-3 times value, speaker examples like Kef Ls50, Lenehan, VAF, Whatmough, Proac, B&W, Momitor Audio, Focal

Edited by Al.M

Welcome!

If I was starting now I’d give serious consideration to active speakers like Kef LS50w.

Do yourself a favour and keep an eye on the classifieds- always some nice things on offer.

On 29/07/2020 at 9:52 PM, Al.M said:

Used budget will get you increased 2-3 times value, speaker examples like Kef Ls50, Lenehan, VAF, Whatmough, Proac, B&W, Momitor Audio, Focal

plus compared to new you can always sell them on with less of a hit to the pocket, sometime no more than the running round to ship or pick-up 

On 30/07/2020 at 8:49 PM, Tim D said:

Welcome!

If I was starting now I’d give serious consideration to active speakers like Kef LS50w.

Do yourself a favour and keep an eye on the classifieds- always some nice things on offer.

After some research, I'm banking towards the Klipsch range of speakers and the Sansui AU-7500 or 8500. Any other recommendations for amps would also be appreciated!

On 30/07/2020 at 8:49 PM, Tim D said:

Welcome!

On 29/07/2020 at 9:52 PM, Al.M said:

What size room and music type?

Try these in your local audio shops and search for several recent similar post discussions in this and other posts

https://www.lenc.com.au/blogs/news/the-10-best-integrated-amplifiers

https://www.whathifi.com/au/best-buys/hi-fi/best-budget-hi-fi-speakers

Also, look at Aust made speakers like Ascension and Krix.

I'm looking at the Klipsch Klipsch KLR51MB R51M and perhaps the Sansui AU-7500 or 8500 if I'm lucky enough to find one in a good condition. Curious to know what you think. If you have any other suggestions on amps of similar or greater quality, I'm all ears!

14 hours ago, BentInvest said:

I'm looking at the Klipsch Klipsch KLR51MB R51M and perhaps the Sansui AU-7500 or 8500 if I'm lucky enough to find one in a good condition. Curious to know what you think. If you have any other suggestions on amps of similar or greater quality, I'm all ears!

Those amps are very old 1970s and unless you have a fetish for them there are lots more modern amps to consider with less maintenance issues and possibly better sound for the budget like various Musical Fidelity A3 and others, Roksan Kandy/Caspian, Naim NAC42 and NAP140 combo, Audiolab pre and power, Yamaha As1100 or 1000, Audi Analog Puccini, Copland etc. See regular poster Cafad reviews of amps on this forum.

For speakers there are also many better choices like Lenehan, Proac studio 100, Jamo Concert 8, Spendor and Kef Ls50, Whatmough 202 etc all with great reviews.

Howdy fellow Brisbanite. Lots of great bargains on the classifieds

Perhaps you could state what your source is etc? Alot of folks here could help with what you currently have and make suggestions on what type of pathway to take. I have been very fortunate to get some great advice here and equipment.

Hi again. Sorry but I haven’t been watching this thread.

I can’t comment on the speakers and amps you mentioned but I would take the advice of AIM and get something recent.

A good idea would be to drop by some pf the local hifi stores here and get some idea of what some combos can sound like.

Even some stores here like Caxton Audio have second hand and demo stuff.  You don’t have to spend a lot to get something that sounds nice.

On 06/09/2020 at 11:59 AM, Tarzan said:

Howdy fellow Brisbanite. Lots of great bargains on the classifieds

Perhaps you could state what your source is etc? Alot of folks here could help with what you currently have and make suggestions on what type of pathway to take. I have been very fortunate to get some great advice here and equipment.

I don't have an amp or speakers so I'm fresh in the market. I do have a friend who works for a hifi store and offered to sell a pair of Usher X-718 speakers. They're ugly but have read some great reviews! Curious to see what you think. 

http://www.audioreference.co.nz/review/usher-x-718-it%E2%80%99s-best-speaker-i%E2%80%99ve-ever-owned-or-reviewed

They seem good mate, maybe a good starting point?

On 12/09/2020 at 8:52 PM, Tarzan said:

Yea mate, thinking about pairing them with the Marantz PM-5005 or the 6006. 

Considering I'm getting the speakers for $600, I think they're a steal.

On 21/08/2020 at 12:34 AM, Al.M said:

Those amps are very old 1970s and unless you have a fetish for them there are lots more modern amps to consider with less maintenance issues and possibly better sound for the budget like various Musical Fidelity A3 and others, Roksan Kandy/Caspian, Naim NAC42 and NAP140 combo, Audiolab pre and power, Yamaha As1100 or 1000, Audi Analog Puccini, Copland etc. See regular poster Cafad reviews of amps on this forum.

For speakers there are also many better choices like Lenehan, Proac studio 100, Jamo Concert 8, Spendor and Kef Ls50, Whatmough 202 etc all with great reviews.

Although those Sansuis look sexy, they're hard to come by. I've done more research and been able to source the Usher X-718 speakers and thinking about pairing them with the Marantz PM-5005 or PM-6006. Curious to know what you think of this pairing.

6 hours ago, BentInvest said:

Although those Sansuis look sexy, they're hard to come by. I've done more research and been able to source the Usher X-718 speakers and thinking about pairing them with the Marantz PM-5005 or PM-6006. Curious to know what you think of this pairing.

Havnt heard any of those. On paper the Usher which is a $4k rrp speaker looks good. The Marantz amps are budget and appear good if you can get them used for half of rrp, Otherwise to use your $1500 amp budget there are many other stellar used amps that for $1k+ were once $2-3k and under 10years old would be way better.

If you deciding on the Ushers you need to find find an amp to drive it properly for its measurements here to 4-5 ohms https://www.stereophile.com/content/usher-audio-technology-be-718-loudspeaker-measurements.

Edited by Al.M

Those Klipsch bookshelf speakers (Klipsch KLR51MB R51M) are good for the money. Aprox. $550 new (from Videopro for example) 

Would pair well with a vintage low watt amp, as those Klipsch are very efficient/sensitive. And sound great.

I have them paired with an old reconditioned Pioneer i recently picked up.

Together didnt cost me a fortune at all

20200923_170617.thumb.jpg.257134f619377ecb833d5723e33ab2ed.jpg

20200923_170547.thumb.jpg.530889d98158b4e3beba73f7627bc38c.jpg

Hi @BentInvest,

welcome to the forum👍

I can't add to your query, but I'm another Brisbane based SNAer

cheers

Mike

On 23/09/2020 at 5:08 PM, Cideburns said:

Those Klipsch bookshelf speakers (Klipsch KLR51MB R51M) are good for the money. Aprox. $550 new (from Videopro for example) 

Would pair well with a vintage low watt amp, as those Klipsch are very efficient/sensitive. And sound great.

I have them paired with an old reconditioned Pioneer i recently picked up.

Together didnt cost me a fortune at all

20200923_170617.thumb.jpg.257134f619377ecb833d5723e33ab2ed.jpg

20200923_170547.thumb.jpg.530889d98158b4e3beba73f7627bc38c.jpg

That's a beautiful set you got there. I was initially sold on the Klipschs but decided on the Usher x-718s that my friend is selling. They retailed for over 1k and I'm buying them for $600.

I wish there were more vintage amps being sold so I could snag a good one but they're usually hard to come by.

p.s. That pioneer looks gorgeous!

Another Brisbanite. I'd suggest taking a visit to Mike Lenehans workshop on the Gold Coast with respect to the bookshelf speakers.  Start with the most revealing speaker you can afford and work your way back towards the source from there. Lenehan Audio speakers will improve as the rest of your system improves  ;)

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)