I recently acquired a pair of Axis Black Box 1 floor standers.  I have never seen this model before. I'm curious to know if anyone has any information on them or have ever owned a pair. I can't find anything online but I gather they are at least 20 years old.  They are very decent sounding speakers with phenomenal bass extension..

Axis Black Box 1 (2).jpg

Axis Black Box 1 (5).jpg

Axis Black Box 1 (6).jpg

19 hours ago, earlcole said:

I recently acquired a pair of Axis Black Box 1 floor standers.  I have never seen this model before. I'm curious to know if anyone has any information on them or have ever owned a pair. I can't find anything online but I gather they are at least 20 years old.  They are very decent sounding speakers with phenomenal bass extension..

Axis Black Box 1 (2).jpg

Axis Black Box 1 (5).jpg

Axis Black Box 1 (6).jpg

Look good and if you didn’t pay too much a possible bargain. There may be some advantage in a Xover upgrade but on the other hand they may have a quality Xover anyhow. 

• Like 1

John Reilly (AXIS owner) might have some info to share on these. Flick him an email - johnreilly at axisvoicebox dot com.

John knows his stuff and is very helpful.

There's a matching centre speaker for sale on ebay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AXIS-Black-Box-3-Centre-Speaker-Designed-Engineered-in-Australia-/153661707406

The tweeters are Tonegen - not sure about the woofers.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

John Reilly (AXIS owner) might have some info to share on these. Flick him an email - johnreilly at axisvoicebox dot com.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AXIS-Black-Box-3-Centre-Speaker-Designed-Engineered-in-Australia-/153661707406

Thanks Pete. I saw that centre on ebay.  I'll message John.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

The email bounced so I visited the website of the email URL. There was a different email address but that also bounced. I rang the phone number for Audio Marketing Pty. Ltd.  (the stated distributors) and spoke to a chap who said Axis was no more. He gave me the number of someone who would know how to contact John and worked with him on a couple of Axis designs. I rang him. He didn't remember the Black Box speakers but asked me to send some pics and said he would get in contact with John to find out more about what I have. I will post the response.

• 2 months later...
On 29/07/2020 at 12:55 PM, earlcole said:

The email bounced so I visited the website of the email URL. There was a different email address but that also bounced. I rang the phone number for Audio Marketing Pty. Ltd.  (the stated distributors) and spoke to a chap who said Axis was no more. He gave me the number of someone who would know how to contact John and worked with him on a couple of Axis designs. I rang him. He didn't remember the Black Box speakers but asked me to send some pics and said he would get in contact with John to find out more about what I have. I will post the response.

Hi, Axis speakers are still alive and kicking in the form of Axis Voicebox. You can reach John through the website 

https://axisvoicebox.com/contact/

• 2 months later...

@earlcole I managed to grab a pair of Black Box 3 speakers this week!

The crossovers use poly caps and air core inductors throughout which is a good thing. 

The drivers are good quality - Tonegen for the tweeter and I’m not sure about the woofer yet. 

The easiest way to improve the performance of these speakers is to address the cabinets - they are quite resonant and don’t pass the ‘knuckle-rap’ test vs more accomplished designs. 

The cheap and easy way for the Black Box 3 was a roll of double-sided butyl rubber adhesive/sealing tape from Bunnings for $20 or so. This allowed me to add 3-4mm of butyl rubber on the internal walls of the enclosure, along with the resonant plastic binding post plate. 

Comparing a treated enclosure to the untreated enclosure elicited a marked difference - the treated enclosure sounded much more solid, and weighed 700g more than beforehand. 

After treating both enclosure and reassembling, listening revealed a cleaner sound overall, and particularly through the mids and bass. The treble also seems a little more focused - maybe due to lower cabinet vibrations? 

There’s also a mob on eBay selling 25 x large butyl adhesive pads for $25 delivered which I reckon would do a great job on larger floorstanders like the Black Box 1.  

• Like 1

Brad was doing the Axis Voicebox through Len Wallis Audio.

Looks like it's fallen through the cracks though from what I can see. Ohh well.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

They look similar to the Axis LS38 which used to compete very well against Richter and Orpheus (and Sonique) back when my shop made a point of stocking Australian products.

• Like 1