jack_b

Help with Dialling in a Denon DL-103

Posted (edited)

So I've recently purchased a Denon DL-103 which I'm using with my Jelco SA750D. 

I understand they perform best on an arm with a bit of mass. I'm using the heavier counterweight that comes with the Jelco (which seems to be recommended). 

The issue is that with it, there's no longer enough mass to balance the headshell. To get around this I've added some bluetack and a dollar coin.

(and of course re-adjusted the tracking force to 2.5g). 

My question is though, I'm not sure exactly how much weight is the optimum amount to add to the headshell for best performance and avoid any issues with resonance. 

Will it cause issues adding too much weight to the headshell?

I also wanted to get an idea of how hefty my next headshell purchase should be. 

I was trying to use the calculator here, https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php 

- Denon dl103 weighs 8.5g

- headshell weighs 13.5g, 

- bluetak & coin 11g

I have this as a reference: 
effective_mass_jelco_tonearms_WM.thumb.jpg.14c16907083d3c2df3a4f41e4e2eabcd.jpg 

Edited by jack_b

If you are adding weight to the headshell because your counterbalance weight is too heavy, I would get a lighter counterbalance weight.  A heavy counterbalance weight is good if you are balancing a heavy cart/headshell, and to get the counterbalance closer to the pivot.  But more does not always mean better.  You shouldn't need extra weight on your headshell (unless you are wanting it for DJ scratching, but I wouldn't use a DL-103 for that!). 

3 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

If you are adding weight to the headshell because your counterbalance weight is too heavy, I would get a lighter counterbalance weight.  A heavy counterbalance weight is good if you are balancing a heavy cart/headshell, and to get the counterbalance closer to the pivot.  But more does not always mean better.  You shouldn't need extra weight on your headshell (unless you are wanting it for DJ scratching, but I wouldn't use a DL-103 for that!). 

Ah ok thanks. I'll use the standard counterweight then. I just always read people commenting they sound better with more weight. 

31 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

My thought exactly. Try it with the lighter counterweight and let your ears be the judge. You can also try tracking it slightly lighter towards 2gr which may work in some arms from my experience. Contrary to popular misconceptions, there are no Hi-Fi Police so you should feel safe to experiment a little.

2 hours ago, Igotmearecord said:

... there are no Hi-Fi Police so you should feel safe to experiment a little.

Weeeoooh weeeoooh, weeeoooh weeeooooh    <siren sound

Put down the counterweight and step away from the tonearm.

Put your hands behind your headshell and get down on floor.

You're under arrest for crimes against tracking weight and anti-skate.

1 minute ago, pwstereo said:

Weeeoooh weeeoooh, weeeoooh weeeooooh    <siren sound

Put down the counterweight and step away from the tonearm.

Put your hands behind your headshell and get down on floor.

You're under arrest for crimes against tracking weight and anti-skate.

roflmaocopter