WTB: Mutec MC-1.2

lenticularis

Item:
Price Range: $250-350
Item Condition: Used
Extra Info:

This is a discontinued item in Mutec's range, however it does SPDIF to USB conversion which is what I'm after.

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

20200725_224419.jpg

Edited by lenticularis

By the way, you will see this device only has a USB B connector. That means it doesn't have USB out in the way that would interface to a DAC (either.) I don't believe there's such a thing as a USB B male to USB B male converter unfortunately.

34 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

By the way, you will see this device only has a USB B connector. That means it doesn't have USB out in the way that would interface to a DAC (either.) I don't believe there's such a thing as a USB B male to USB B male converter unfortunately.

"1 x USB2.0 interface, bi-directional usable"

And the connection looks common like seen on printers.

Or am I misunderstanding your point being made?

MC-12_FB0017.jpg.32b8537fd1f72a088c3cc49032ac04f9.jpg

3 minutes ago, muon* said:

"1 x USB2.0 interface, bi-directional usable"

And the connection looks common like seen on printers.

Or am I misunderstanding your point being made?

Yes you are misunderstanding. You can't have a "printer end" at both ends of the USB cable, meaning you can't use USB out on this device to plug in to a DAC. You can only use USB out on this device as a USB input (recording) device on a PC.

Edited by Ittaku

I think I've seen this discussed elsewhere. That interface allows you to input spdif via usb into your computer, (which is a usb host), rather than a dac.

I haven't looked at the specs or documentation, though 

7 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Yes you are misunderstanding. You can't have a "printer end" at both ends of the USB cable, meaning you can't use USB out on this device to plug in to a DAC. You can only use USB out on this device as a USB input (recording) device on a PC.

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation :thumb:

Edited by muon*

5 minutes ago, muon* said:

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation :thumb:

I should have read the manual first before commenting, I think you have.

No, I just almost made a similar mistake on a different device, which is why I know :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

No, I just almost made a similar mistake on a different device, which is why I know :P

Although this on their web page makes me think otherwise.

"Overall the MUTEC MC-1.2 is a big upgrade to my USB dac and well worth the investment. If you are considering upgrading your dac via a bridge the MC-1.2 should be right at the top of your buy list." - Keith Bevan, Digital Audio Directions

Manual
MC-1.2 Applications
*Interconnection of computers and professional or consumer digital audio devices
*Bi-directional signal exchange between computers and digital audio devices
*Improvement of USB audio streams Isolation of USB audio streams to digital audio devices

OR, do you mean you can't connect to both a computer and a DAC via USB at the same time? That would make sense.

2 minutes ago, muon* said:

"Overall the MUTEC MC-1.2 is a big upgrade to my USB dac and well worth the investment. If you are considering upgrading your dac via a bridge the MC-1.2 should be right at the top of your buy list." - Keith Bevan, Digital Audio Directions

Manual
MC-1.2 Applications
*Interconnection of computers and professional or consumer digital audio devices
*Improvement of USB audio streams Isolation of USB audio streams to digital audio devices

OR, do you mean you can't connect to both a computer and a DAC via USB at the same time? That would make sense.

You can connect PC USB -> Mutec -> SPDIF on DAC

You can connect DAC/PC SPDIF -> Mutec -> USB on PC

You can't connect DAC/PC SPDIF -> Mutec -> USB on DAC

Does that make it clearer?

Edited by Ittaku

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

You can connect PC USB -> Mutec -> SPDIF on DAC

You can connect DAC/PC SPDIF -> Mutec -> USB on PC

You can't connect DAC/PC SPDIF -> Mutec -> USB on DAC

Does that make it clearer?

Yes

Pity they don't make it clearer in their site!

Guess it is a no go for someone with a USB only DAC then

1 minute ago, muon* said:

Guess it is a no go for someone with a USB only DAC then

Unfortunately not, and that's what lenticularis is after it for. You could put a raspberry pi after this and then use it to capture and then send it USB out again but that's very convoluted and not exactly a trivial task for most people. I've done it but it's messy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, muon* said:

Manual
MC-1.2 Applications

I wonder...

Is it a physical cable form-factor issue, or a USB protocol issue?

I too was noting the advertising blurb from the quote on the Mutec-1.2 advert.

I have a USB Type-A to Type-B adapter, so I do have the ability to fashion a Type-B cable at each end, if form-factor is the limitation. It's a pretty expensive error to make if the assumption proves wrong of course.

31 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

I have a USB Type-A to Type-B adapter, so I do have the ability to fashion a Type-B cable at each end, if form-factor is the limitation. It's a pretty expensive error to make if the assumption proves wrong of course.

This is something I cannot answer. About the only safe part, I guess, is that power can only be pushed down the type A connector so if you do B to B you shouldn't blow anything up (hopefully).

• Haha 1