Custom Perspex screens and other kidsafe measures

Reaching out to the collective wisdom for anyone who knows where I can get custom Perspex screens as a barrier?

Also any idea how much?

I’ve locked up as much equipment as I can in cupboards but the big 350w amp will overheat in an enclosed space. And its cooling fins are sharp enough to pose a hazard to little ones.

Also conversely the cones on my floorstander speakers will be in continuous danger from little ones.

Any other ideas with the impending arrival of a baby?? (Please don’t say sell my hifi system!!!!)

Edited by obitankenobi

I bought a large timber playpen to keep my baby/kid in, and away from the hifi.

It didn’t work, as he screamed every time he was put in the playpen!

I rearranged the playpen walls to surround the stereo, and that has worked perfectly.  The timber dowel playpen walls don’t affect the sound at all, unlike Perspex would, and can be easily moved if required.

• Like 6

One option that works for me is to use fibreglass fly screen as grille cloth.

The amp can still go in an enclosed space, but use something like a “silent” computer fan for gentle forced ventilation. Some fans these days can be extremely quiet (for all intents and purposes inaudible) when run at somewhat less than their rated speed.

SS

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2020 at 10:58 PM, Sub Sonic said:

One option that works for me is to use fibreglass fly screen as grille cloth.

The amp can still go in an enclosed space, but use something like a “silent” computer fan for gentle forced ventilation. Some fans these days can be extremely quiet (for all intents and purposes inaudible) when run at somewhat less than their rated speed.

SS

+1

A good mate (now with a 27yo) had cabinet for hifi that had doors (slats backing a door frame). He removed he slats and put a high grade flywire on it - worked flawlessly.

I can look after the equipment for you until the baby/children have grown up. This way you don’t have to sell the equipment, and you need not worry about the expense of child proofing it all.

if you want, I can set up a webcam and you can look at it anytime you want too.

How does that sound?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

you could get something made by https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/joannemcng this guy, he will do anything made to order, i would suggest a pen surrounding the equipment as suggested above or secondly a custom cover  from joannmcng but i would definitely add some holes in the design for some fans or you will cook the gear. as for a perspex barrier ..personally i would stay away as you would be dropping a huge reflective surface in your room  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

you could get something made by https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/joannemcng this guy, he will do anything made to order, i would suggest a pen surrounding the equipment as suggested above or secondly a custom cover  from joannmcng but i would definitely add some holes in the design for some fans or you will cook the gear. as for a perspex barrier ..personally i would stay away as you would be dropping a huge reflective surface in your room  

I have used this guy as well and can highly recommend him.

• Like 1