Koestu Black on the sidelines.

Somewhere in the back of a drawer with sundry other odds and ends is a little sandlewood box containing a Koetsu Black cartridge dating from about 2000. It once was part of my Goldmund Studietto/Souther SLA3 front end. After a few years faithful service, it was dispatched to Garrott Bros for retipping and possibly a new boron cantilever (some years ago - dim memory). I do recall it sounded excellent upon its return, but sadly one day I woke to find the stylus had completely disappeared from the cantilever. I wasn't very happy. After an extensive inquest, the balance of probability lay somewhere in the domain of my kids. I suppose you live and learn. Youthful high spirits? I am interested in your views. Is this thing worthy of repair/ restoration?(I respect the argument that it's no longer technically a Koetsu, post Garrott). If so, what might be some of my available options? Clearly cost/benefit analysis comes heavily into this. Currently my Dynavector DV20X2L is singing splendidly, but as we know, that won't last forever.

The "old" Garrott diamonds and cantilevers were superior to the original Koestu and Supex oems.

So as not to cause contention, IMHO.

That chap in the US I think his name is Joseph does good work and is easy to communicate with.

I found the "new" Garrotts the opposite.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input folks. Definitely food for thought. At its best, I found that the Koetsu was a truly magical device with great presence. realism and separation. A case of once heard, never truly forgotten. I know it cost me a fair amount 20 years ago, so heaven knows what its cost would be now. I guess it ought to be in service rather than in a box.

• Like 1

Just as an addendum to this - Are Garrotts the only people here in Australia who have the ability to do this stuff? Holland, the US, Germany, Britain, Outer Mongolia etc do present significantly added logistical challenges - more so than ever in our current 2020 harem-scarem world.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

Just as an addendum to this - Are Garrotts the only people here in Australia who have the ability to do this stuff? Holland, the US, Germany, Britain, Outer Mongolia etc do present significantly added logistical challenges - more so than ever in our current 2020 harem-scarem world.

I have some tips ie just the diamonds coming supposed to be sent out on August 7th (estimate) so arrival is probably 2-3 weeks after that. I have 50 tips coming 25 for boron cantilevers and 25 for other, all will be microridge which IMO is the best cut there is. I have some boron cantilevers with MR stylus, but not sure if you need a cantilever transplant or just a tip?

Chris

Why wouldn't you look into getting it rebuilt as a proper Koetsu?  One of the most legendary and sought after cartridge brands?   Its handled by Nirvana Sound out of Australia and you can bring it back to life. 

Worst case scenario if it is unaffordable or unable to be fixed by them then they can give you options on what to do with it?

LPG

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lansche plasma guy said:

Why wouldn't you look into getting it rebuilt as a proper Koetsu?  One of the most legendary and sought after cartridge brands?   Its handled by Nirvana Sound out of Australia and you can bring it back to life. 

Worst case scenario if it is unaffordable or unable to be fixed by them then they can give you options on what to do with it?

LPG

Yep. Certainly looking at all the options.

5 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

Yep. Certainly looking at all the options.

The original Koetsu is their own cut (unlikely actually but what blurb says). MR will be different and it is a better cut for sure, that said it wont be the same if that is what you want. Also the Koetsu have a bushing round the stylus tip. If I was going to take it on I would want pictures first is possible as I need to see that this arrangement is as it is a bit odd sounding.

Chris

I have had the coils rewound by them, Garrots had no way of doing any of the work and I found the services they offered very limited, were  as Doininic actually makes a complete cartridge in house and can do any repairs, My Benz had failed and went back to Benz and failed again, all out of warranty..

20 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

The "old" Garrott diamonds and cantilevers were superior to the original Koestu and Supex oems.

So as not to cause contention, IMHO.

That chap in the US I think his name is Joseph does good work and is easy to communicate with.

I found the "new" Garrotts the opposite.

That has been my experience also. Joseph's work gives better results than the current Garrott Bros for either similar or less money.  I no longer use anyone else.

3 hours ago, vwo60 said:

I have had the coils rewound by them, Garrots had no way of doing any of the work and I found the services they offered very limited, were  as Doininic actually makes a complete cartridge in house and can do any repairs, My Benz had failed and went back to Benz and failed again, all out of warranty..

I can rewind a coil.

Chris