Posted (edited)

Hi. In the past I wasn't a great fan of headphones but lately I've been listening to them more than usual. I've been enjoying it enough to think about the dreaded upgrade path. I'm wondering what upgrade options are out there to improve my HP listening and as a bonus if possible gain an improvement to my speaker listening?

Current gear is Emotiva DC-1 used as a preamp/dac into nc400 mono blocks and as a HP amp. I alternate between the the DC-1 dac and a PS Audio DL3 into the analogue inputs of the DC-1. Headphones are Hifiman HE400i and speakers are Kef Reference 3.2 from 2001. I also have an Audio Note preamp which I alternate with the DC-1. (probably seems odd to some)

Do I upgrade the headphones or do I buy a new headphone amp and/or dac? Or even a multi function device like the Keces E40 or Cayin HA-1A?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have. Would ideally like to spend under $1000.

Edited by legselevens

Headphones and a headphone amp. Leave your DAC/Preamps etc for now.

What sound signature do you like? You lean towards nuetral/bright or like a laid back warmer, or bass head?

Can get a decent Headphone and Headphone Amp for $1000 that'll be an impressive step up.

Posted (edited)

I want to try the Senn HD650 again but many years ago I heard it at A2A and it sounded a bit congested and kind of muffled compared to the HE400 (not 400i). I'm wondering how it would compare now given I'm appreciating HP's more. Maybe it's worth a second listen.

Another thing is the Emotiva DC-1 HP amp is my first HP amp and is meant to be well regarded so I wonder what options there are that would be a true upgrade rather than side step. I'd also considered SP200 and Atom amps.

There's a Violectric hpa v100 for sale atm. Thoughts on this?

Edited by legselevens
Additional info

Soundwise I like detail and clarity without being lean. I've not heard a ESS sabre dac that has interested me yet if that helps.

1 hour ago, legselevens said:

Soundwise I like detail and clarity without being lean. I've not heard a ESS sabre dac that has interested me yet if that helps.

In the lower end gear, focus more on headphone and amp, most the solid cheap DACs are pretty good and similar.

Maybe a Sundara as the headphone. Keeping with Planar.

And then Amp the SP200 is a great choice if you can get one used. $300-350. Awesome value. Violectric also good, it'll be warmer than the SMSL, then again most things are haha. Jotunheim too

Thanks Bengineer. Schiit products, I had a Bifrost uber in 2013 but sold it on. It was good but I preferred the PS audio dl3. Horses for courses of causes. The Violectric v100 sold before I got to it so the search continues.

8 hours ago, legselevens said:

I think that's the shop/seller name.

Before you buy an SP200, if you're able to commit to running a balanced headphone (may require investing in an aftermarket cable) the Geshelli Labs Erish is a much better amp than the SP200 for similar $$. You can feed it a single ended signal using adapters, but you would need a proper 4-pin XLR cable for the headphones.

SP200 is a good amp, but it's held back by a bit of a crappy volume pot.

THX 789 with warranty on sale in these forums now...

Basically a SP200 but better built. 

Also THX 789 has 3 gain stages, not 2 on the SP200.

I felt the SP200 needed 3, especially with the flimsy volume pot 

Thanks for the replies all. I'm still interested in the sp200 and now the Geshelli. And of course further suggestions.

I bought an SP200 and it's very good. It livens up my he400i headphones. I'm still considering either a new dac or headphones but will enjoy the music in the meantime. Cheers for all the replies.

HE400i are good headphones. If you like detail and clarity then you are in the right field. I would have suggested one of the focal deals when they were on but they are no more.

If you want to try a DAC then have a look at Topping E30. Good DAC for the money.

On 01/08/2020 at 4:21 PM, legselevens said:

I bought an SP200 and it's very good. It livens up my he400i headphones. I'm still considering either a new dac or headphones but will enjoy the music in the meantime. Cheers for all the replies.

Headphones first. Biggest difference for the money.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BobbieBeat
      Item Condition: Used - as new Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Malvern State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal (fees on buyer), Cash on pick up, Direct transfer Reason for selling: Upgrade Further information:
      Hi, model needs no introduction - plenty of reviews online and it’s fantastic. Unit is as new and have all accessories and original packaging. It’s only a couple of months old, purchased from Minidisc. I’m selling as I’ve decided to move to a full desktop set-up. Happy to post whatever method you like (at buyers cost) or do local pick-up.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By logicaldisconnect
      Item Condition: Excellent (9.5/10) Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Sydney State: New South Wales Payment Method: Paypal or cash on pickup Reason for selling: Headphone setup not getting much use now I'm mostly working from home. Further information:

This is a great little amp. It's powerful, smooth and enjoyable to listen to. I've been using it with ZMF Vérité Open and Bifrost 2 and it has kept up admirably. This has been one of my favourite headphone combos.

See impressions at, eg, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-asgard-3-impressions-thread.914012/, https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-with-continuity-output-stage.8228/

Excellent condition. Has been used for 200 hours at most. Comes with all original packaging and receipt. If you purchase with the Bifrost 2 (also pictured and for sale), I will throw in the Schiit Pyst RCA cables I purchased with them. Current price to buy locally is $530 (and not too much cheaper to buy from Schiit when you add shipping).

Photos:

• By illmatic
      Item: Schiit Jotunheim
      Price Range: 550-1000
      Item Condition: New or Used

Extra Info:
      Willing to pay extra for a black one
      Also willing to pay extra if it has the DAC module on it.
      I am located in Melbourne and will pay for shipping costs as well

• By leqt1969
      Item Condition: Used but in immaculate condition. Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: SE suburb State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal (3% surcharge), EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Simplify headphone set up Further information:

All 3 items are in immaculate condition and are rarely used (this is my second headphone set up).

Headphone amp comes with 2 set of tubes.

Plenty of information and good reviews on the internet. 

Headphones and music player come with original boxes and accessories. Headphone amp doesn’t have box.

Price includes postage (flat rate) Australia wide.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved  

• By MAXXX
      Item Condition: Used, excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Kardinya State: Western Australia Payment Method: Bank transfer, PayPal as friend, cash... Reason for selling: NLR, hardly used Further information: Used in my second system as preamplifier...now using CA streamer as preamp/DAC so this one is NLR.
      A head amp which is different because you can match  different impedances of headphones. The Head One runs a pair of 6S45P triodes with 1.8dB of negative feedback on the outputs while one EZ80(81) becomes the indirectly heated rectifier.
      Two inputs switched via rear-mounted switch and 2 pre-outs for bi-amping or subwoofing* turn this into a  small preamp as well.
      The Head Oneincludes a spare new JJ Electronic EZ81 rectifier valve.
      Comes in original box and wooden  crate for safe transport.
      If required, local buyers can check tubes strength with my tube tester.
      Price is firm.   Current RRP price is 2099 Euros. (over AU$3000)

https://www.trafomaticaudio.com/products/experience-head-one/

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/trafomatic3/headone_2.html

Specifications
      Tubes: 2x 6S45P , 1x EZ80(81)
      Power supply: 230VAC
      Consumption: 30VA
      Output impedance: 30 -100 – 300ohms
      Maximum output power: 300mW
      THD at 100mW/1kHz: 3 %
      Additional outputs: line out i sub out
      Inputs: CD , AUX
      Input sensitivity: 1Veff
      Input resistance: 47Kohm
      Output line voltage:
      THD 1% – 3.2V
      THD 2% – 6.4V
      THD 2.8% – 9V
      Frequency bandwidth:
      headphone and line out 20Hz(-3dB) – 57KHz(-3dB)
      Subwoofer out 20Hz(-3db) – 18KHz(-3dB) S/N: 71dB
      Minimum load resistance on “LINE and “SUB”:
      – 2k ohm both outputs simultaneously;
      – 1k ohm single output.
      Gain on “LINE” output: 18dB

Photos:

PLEASE READ