DIY isolation platform

Rgaze911

This is a custom isolation platform I made as a copy of the original Cyrus isoplat, 43 x 32.5 CM and similar thickness.

I tried to get another original isoplat but the prices they go for are ridiculous given it is just a bit of MDF with a grey textured finish.

So I ordered some similar-sized sorbothane feet and acquired a hardwood oak panel, which was enough to make two panels.

I cut the timber to fit and sanded the sides smooth and also slightly sanded the edges to make a bevelled edge,

I then coated the top side with satin polyurethane and left to dry.

Today (after a good two weeks of drying time) I fitted the yellow 2" diameter feet I got off ebay,

Here is the unit that is under the Chord Qutest DAC and Cyrus Stream Xa. I have no idea yet if this impacts the sound in any positive way, but I am reasonably happy with the outcome.

20200722_213837_resized.jpg

20200722_213048_resized.jpg

20200722_213818_resized.jpg

20200722_213825_resized.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Over the years I’ve made quite a few. I have a range of either marble or granite with thick silicon Or felt feet. The granite ones are extremely heavy. Dropped one on my two not so long ago and took the nail off.  

• Like 1

Nice work. Looks great and Im sure it will function as intended. I use the ikea chopping board method with some whites anti vibration pads -  but I like the idea of a nice DIY in your preferred timber and spec also. 

• Like 1

The Whites Anti-Vibration Pads from Bunnings are a favourite of mine. I used some 100x100 pads to make some speaker cable risers (photos later). Not sure they made a difference but kept me off the streets. The price charged for cable risers is a worry. Nice work by the previous SNA people on their Isolation platforms.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 075Congo said:

The Whites Anti-Vibration Pads from Bunnings are a favourite of mine. I used some 100x100 pads to make some speaker cable risers (photos later). Not sure they made a difference but kept me off the streets. The price charged for cable risers is a worry. Nice work by the previous SNA people on their Isolation platforms.

Cheers

Must look up the Bunnings pads. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Must look up the Bunnings pads. 

You can get a roll of the 4mm a metre by 10cm for like 7 bucks. Pretty low barrier of entry to try. I didn’t like the difference it made under my speakers but under the amp they seem to give a bit of a lift.

They definitely helped make the dishwasher a bit quieter, though FWIW :D 

• Like 1

The issue for me is the cost of the yellow sorborthane feet. For a set of 4 from eBay they are around 45 bucks. That make each panel quite costly to make.

The issue is whether the sorbothane does a better job than the low cost Bunnings version. From the Bunnings stuff you could easily cut 2 inch circles that would look reasonably OEM. 

With a few spare panels a range options could be tested.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rgaze911 said:

The issue is whether the sorbothane does a better job than the low cost Bunnings version.

I would expect that it does, given the weight of the equipment put on top. Sorbothane is among the most efficient materials for turning vibration energy into heat, if it’s loaded right. Squished about half-way between relaxed and fully flat seems to be about right (I wish I could dig up some facts about this in a hurry).

Any elastic damping material, including the Whites pads, needs to be loaded appropriately to be effective. The Whites pads are very firm and need a lot of loading to start deforming elastically. I would consider them only under the feet of a large, fully packed equipment rack, or under very heavy speakers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rgaze911 said:

The issue for me is the cost of the yellow sorborthane feet. For a set of 4 from eBay they are around 45 bucks. That make each panel quite costly to make.

The issue is whether the sorbothane does a better job than the low cost Bunnings version. From the Bunnings stuff you could easily cut 2 inch circles that would look reasonably OEM. 

With a few spare panels a range options could be tested.

Try springs and select a spring that compresses by a decent amount with the weight on it. IMO anything like rubber, sorbothane etc doesn't do the sound any favours where springs don't seem to have any negative effect.

Oh, and they are cheap!

Edited by Gryffles
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

Try springs

1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

Oh, and they are cheap!

G'day Ben.

Would you have any suggestions or product links for springs you have used?

I assume they should be matched with the weight they will support too?

Thanks.

Ant.

5 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G'day Ben.

Would you have any suggestions or product links for springs you have used?

I assume they should be matched with the weight they will support too?

Thanks.

Ant.

My rack has spring isolation built in now so I don't use them any longer. I just got on Ebay and search compression spring and ask some questions. It's not an exact science and remember that you can add more springs for weight.

Or you could just buy some of these which I have used. You can remove individual springs from these to suit. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4pcs-HIFI-audio-Stand-Feet-spike-Audiophile-shock-spikes-spring-damping-pad/202684324794?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D227683%26meid%3Df1ec7d27487446f2a7859ed447f1768e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D254604180278%26itm%3D202684324794%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV2BBEV2b%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another attempt at isolation but this time using left-over bits of oak panel to make some speaker isolation plinths. Currently I have these sitting on some felt pads just to test them out. I've got some 4 x 4 bits of 25m square sorbothane that will replace the felt on order.

The M8 Audio Rocket 4.1s are sitting as bookshelf speakers on the Ikea cabinet I use to house my hifi gear. Yes, not exactly audiophile grade but the unit is pretty versatile and suits my objective of hiding the stereo away from my young children.

I haven't done a before and after comparison with/without the plinths but I was sure I could tell some sort of difference even with what is only a relatively minor change. A better test will be when the sorbothane arrives.

I will make another one for the Sub OneTen that sits on the wooden floor as that might offer some benefit too.

20200727_194538_resized.jpg

20200727_194523_resized.jpg

20200727_194529_resized.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 11:29 PM, Rgaze911 said:

Sorbothane seems to be quite different to those composite rubber pads.

From Wikipedia:

"The material combines some of the properties of rubber, silicone, and other elastic polymers. It is considered to be a good vibration damping material, an acoustic insulator, and highly durable. An unusually high amount of the energy from an object dropped onto Sorbothane is absorbed. The feel and damping qualities of Sorbothane have been likened to those of meat.

Sorbothane is a visco-elastic material, meaning that it exhibits properties of both liquids (viscous solutions) and solids (elastic materials), with a relaxation time of two seconds. Because visco-elastic behavior is desirable in shock and vibration applications, many materials claim to be viscoelastic; however, many of these materials have only trace viscoelastic properties.

Similar materials include polynorbornene, Noene, and Astro-sorb."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Now you started something! Shall we merge this thread with the BBQ one?

I'm using thick cut eye fillet pads under my speakers ?

The sound is a perfect after a one week burn-in, but the smell is hard to live with ?

If I had a wife, I think the acceptance factor would be zero ?

11 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Yeah, maybe that’s an idea better suited to the bathroom system, where the floor can be hosed down once in a while...

Way ahead of you, ham steaks are perfect under the active bookshelf speakers that comprise my bathroom system.

Edited by pwstereo
grammar
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rgaze911 said:

OK guys so I ended up going nuts and making lots of these :)

The plinths are made from oak with hand-chamfered edges and a satin finish, and sit on sorbothane feet.

20200731_103042_resized.jpg

20200731_163739_resized.jpg

20200731_163752_resized.jpg

20200731_103012_resized.jpg

20200731_103018_resized.jpg

20200731_103027_resized.jpg

20200731_103031_resized.jpg

20200731_103037_resized.jpg

This does look very nice. Great job. Those speakers and sub also look fab, DIY?

6 hours ago, Rgaze911 said:

OK guys so I ended up going nuts and making lots of these :)

The plinths are made from oak with hand-chamfered edges and a satin finish, and sit on sorbothane feet.

So how do they perform?

What impact on sound do they make overall?

Try similar approach with bamboo if you can – might be an interesting comparison to oak which I have used in the past..