GruntPuppy

Rega Planar 2 Subplatters - what have you tried?

Everything I've read so far about the Planar 2 suggests that the best first upgrade is to put a better sub-platter in.  If you've had any experience with doing this, I'd really like to know which subplatters you've used, and what your experience of the results was like - currently I'm leaning towards the Tango Spinner subplatters, but I'd like to benefit from other people's experiences where possible.

I have used the Groovetracer Reference sub-platters with a number of Rega decks. They are superb.

43 minutes ago, Telecine said:

I have used the Groovetracer Reference sub-platters with a number of Rega decks. They are superb.

Damn.  I was hoping NOT to hear this, they are bloody expensive!   I do appreciate the feedback though.  

1 minute ago, GruntPuppy said:

Damn.  I was hoping NOT to hear this, they are bloody expensive!   I do appreciate the feedback though.  

Yes, it is often the way. I have heard that the Tango Spinner ones are very good too. Either would be a marked improvement over the standard offering.

8 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Yes, it is often the way. I have heard that the Tango Spinner ones are very good too. Either would be a marked improvement over the standard offering.

Yep, the Tango Spinner ones are also firmly on my radar.  There's also a Uk company machining them out of Delrin, but I have my doubts as to the comparative accuracy of manufacture that can be achieved by machine a piece of flexible plastic as opposed to aluminium.   I do hope that someone can give me a first hand experience of the Tango Spinner subplatter,  which is a fair bit cheaper, if for no other reason than that I wanted to spend a little more on the arm upgrade - I fear that I will not be able to resist Audio Origami's RB250 modifications... 

1 minute ago, GruntPuppy said:

Yep, the Tango Spinner ones are also firmly on my radar.  There's also a Uk company machining them out of Delrin, but I have my doubts as to the comparative accuracy of manufacture that can be achieved by machine a piece of flexible plastic as opposed to aluminium.   I do hope that someone can give me a first hand experience of the Tango Spinner subplatter,  which is a fair bit cheaper, if for no other reason than that I wanted to spend a little more on the arm upgrade - I fear that I will not be able to resist Audio Origami's RB250 modifications... 

A lot of people have purchased the Tango Spinner products and are very happy with them. I am sure that you would be too.

J7 from Audio Origami is the man for tonearm upgrades, you will be happy with the result.

I put a Groovetracer reference subplatter and delrin platter on my RP1 and it made a big difference in "tightening" the sound up. 

Posted (edited)

Well, hopefully my sub-platter search is over.  

I'm going to give Fidelity Designs a try - this is their reference sub-platter - looks nicely machined,  aluminium with a delrin centre boss, ball-bearing grade stainless steel spindle, and a silicone locator ring.  I'm still thinking about the bearing seat upgrade, but this is getting ordered tomorrow morning, as is an Iceni  Audio 2-part platter, I just need to speak to Patrick about one last bit of customisation on this.

Ref_sub_3.jpg

[edit]  It's not as pretty as some of the other candidates, but since I'm not going for a transparent acrylic platter, I'm not worried.  If I go for a transparent plinth it's still not going to be all that visible.    It is, hopefully, a cost-effective upgrade, and bang-per-buck makes sense to me with what has been an extremely cheap purchase - £85 plus post for a Planar 2?  That'll do nicely :)

If I start feeling inferior about it, I'll stick some heat-shrink on the spindle, stick it in a drill and polish it myself.

Edited by GruntPuppy

Posted (edited)

Well sod it.

I couldn't help myself, I've just started the ball rolling on the Fidelity Audio  reference sub platter and bearing upgrade kit.  Looks like superb value for money considering what's in it for £102, let's see how it goes.   

I figure if I'm going to be looking at something for a few years, I may as well be looking at something good.   And it'll give me a push to sell on some of the hoard of stuff that I've got here to free up funds and make some space!

Edited by GruntPuppy

On 23/07/2020 at 6:27 PM, GruntPuppy said:

Well sod it.

I couldn't help myself, I've just started the ball rolling on the Fidelity Audio  reference sub platter and bearing upgrade kit.  Looks like superb value for money considering what's in it for £102, let's see how it goes.   

I figure if I'm going to be looking at something for a few years, I may as well be looking at something good.   And it'll give me a push to sell on some of the hoard of stuff that I've got here to free up funds and make some space!

Has it arrived yet, and have you tried it out?

Yes and no...

It's arrived, and I've tried the platter with teh standard bearing in place - there's a definite increase in stability, and a decrease in noise floor.  I haven't tried out the bearing upgrade yet because I'm thinking about an upgraded plinth, and I'm not a fan of fitting and removing fixed parts unless I absolutely have to.  That said, I did oil up the bearing and fit the platter to give it a spin in the hand, and it is beautifully smooth.  

As a summary - although not the prettiest subplatter, it's brushed steel rather than polished it is superbly designed and engineered, and I can thoroughly recommend it.  The combination of a precision machined outer sub-platter, a delrin hub, stainless steel spindle and a silicone locator ring are superb - it's not going to be visible unless you've got a transparent platter, and even then it can hold its' head up.  The price of the reference sub-platter and bearing upgrade (and the finish and engineering on this is superb too) is cheaper than a lot of people are charging for a sub-platter alone.  I swapped a few emails with Ben Lamb, who I think is the owner and he's a good bloke to have dealings with.  He does a delrin platter for £49 that's an absolute steal.

It's a different story with the Iceni Audio platter - which arrived, looked superb - until I noticed the top face, rather than being clean polished acrylic as pictured on his website and ebay, came with "Iceni Audio ltd" machined on it - twice.  And there was lipping from the machining on part of the platter too - not what was expected, so that was returned at his cost.  I went a bit strait-jacket over that one...  I wouldn't have minded the engraving if it had been done nicely, but it just looked bloody awful.   Half-inch high letters going round in two semi-circles, in a font that didn't even match his company logo.  

I've ordered a similarly styled item from Cherry Audio, so we shall see what that looks like when it turns up.   This time it's a one-piece platter with 6 underslung weights. and has a recess machined in for record labels.  I asked questions to make sure there'd be no silly surprises as well.