$piro

Vintage turntable acquisition

Hey guys. I am looking at venturing into the analogue domain again and have stumbled across a jvc JL-A1 turntable for sale. Asking price is $430 from a reputable vintage hi-fi store for a product that has just been serviced and given the once over by a technician. I am considering buying this to match my jvc ja -s71 that i acquired from an SNA member recently and am very curious to see what the phone stage has to offer. Any thoughts on this ?

Im currently streaming via a bluesound node2i and am happy with it and my first attempt at vinyl was a used project essential II. It sounded ok but I decided to move it on because im not a big fan of black plastic looking TT's. 
So, with a budget of $600-700 ish i was thinking of acquiring the JL-A1 and spending a couple of hundred on a nice cartridge. My question is whether this would present as a solid starting point given that i am sticking my head down this rabbit hole for the second time. 
Over the brains trust !!

My recollection of the JVC JL-A1 is that it was an entry-level belt drive turntable.  Well-made, and very competent at what it was designed to do.  If serviced correctly it should run very well. 

However, as the JL-A1 is an entry-level quality I think there may be better quality vintage turntables at your price-point, esp. factoring in your budget for an upgraded cartridge.  As a turntable is a long-term investment, I would suggest buying a the best quality turntable you can afford.  It will make an average-quality cartridge sound good.  And you have already had experience buying a turntable and being dissatisfied with it. 

If you need to replace the cartridge, an AT3600L (and OEM cart, so it's v.cheap - $25 from China) will come close to the quality cart's costing hundreds.  Then in the future you can still upgrade the cart when you have more money.  And the AT can be used in a second headshell to play damaged records so you save your upgraded styli. 

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I will reconsider my investment in the jvc 

With some patience and luck you might find something on the SNA classifieds.  There was a Rega P3-24 recently that might have been a good option.  Was going for around $400? i think... and only needed a new stylus or cartridge. 

Otherwise see if the Melbourne peeps can suggest second hand shops you might be able to contact.

Cheers

2B

I'd strongly consider the Dual 701 that was advertised recently. You'd have a couple of hundred to put a decent cart on it and be very pleased with the result.

My feeling its more like a $250 TT with a cartridge and in good nick.

There is a Thorens 150 on eBay that should accept $400-450 if he really wants to sell.

I paid $125 for a JL-A1 a few years ago, was Ok gave it to my boss for $50 with a new OM10 fitted. His daughter wanted to get into the dark side.

How about Thorens TD160 / TD160mkii? 

Slowly upgrade the tonearm to SME3009 and you got a nice turntable! 

They are a lovely turntable. I nearly bought one a little while ago. I think i might hold off a little and increase my budget.