spaceritual

Degritter owners here?

For the past 5+ years I've been using a home made vacuum based RCM. Took a small coffee table, platter & bearing from a busted turntable, VPI 16 to 16.5 upgrade kit, shop vac and some hose to connect them. It's served me well, but takes up more space than it deserves and it isn't exactly a neat & tidy (or quiet) unit. Besides this, it's fairly laborious to use what with the platter being hand-turned so I'm looking for an upgrade.

Having been cleaning records one way or another for 15~ years now I've gotta say, the idea of a unit that lets me: plonk in a record, push a couple of buttons, then return X minutes later to a freshly cleaned (and dry) record has a lot of appeal to me. Especially given the mileage I'm anticipating with my purchase.

I'm sold enough on the cleaning ability of the Degritter (despite having not auditioned one) but I'm curious about the drying action and just what kind of finish records are left with. How does the fan-drying compare to vacuum drying?

There should be no issue with the fan drying. I have a KLAudio and depending on the weather, anywhere from 3-5 mins (adjustable) works. I’m pretty sure Degritter is the same.

Posted (edited)

Use a spinner box. Max 3-4 [edit] minutes [edit] for completely dried records

While spinning, you can apply different water to the surface of the record to condition its sound to your taste.

Alternatively, use an old fan. mount the record onto the spindle, apply a screw cap and spin away.

Best do this in the bath room or garden.

Edited by jeromelang

10 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

Use a spinner box. Max 3-4 seconds for completely dried records

While spinning, you can apply different water to the surface of the record to condition its sound to your taste.

I'd use Lime & Coconut water on Nilsson Schmilsson.

On 20/07/2020 at 11:07 PM, Hydrology said:

There should be no issue with the fan drying. I have a KLAudio and depending on the weather, anywhere from 3-5 mins (adjustable) works. I’m pretty sure Degritter is the same.

Yeah I figured it would work pretty similarly, I'm more curious about how nicely it dries (i.e. does it leave obvious droplet residue etc)

Is there much difference in performance with soft vs hard water or do the filters in fully-auto cavitation units handle this?

On 21/07/2020 at 2:43 PM, jeromelang said:

Use a spinner box. Max 3-4 [edit] minutes [edit] for completely dried records

Alternatively, use an old fan. mount the record onto the spindle, apply a screw cap and spin away.

Best do this in the bath room or garden.

At a pinch, I have used a DataVac in the past for some crude kitchen-sink/detergent record cleaning. Worked reasonably well but it did seem to leave some slight residue despite rather thorough rinsing and what I believed to be fairly soft water.

But hey what do you mean by spinner box, like a spin clean type thing?

Fan drying is great, no residue. 

I have an Audio Desk which is brilliant. It's the original model and on the odd record may not dry the record complete. 

When this happens I use an anti-static hair dryer on cold to finish the job. 

Makes me think that it could be good dying option for those without a drying option on their cleaning machine (like the Kirmuss. 

Could be a win-win, buy your partner a high quality hair dryer and 'borrow' it occasionally 😁

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, spaceritual said:

But hey what do you mean by spinner box, like a spin clean type thing?

Its a box with a motor in the centre. The record is placed over the motor and spun at high speed to expel moisture from its surfaces. 3-4 minutes for record to dry completely. 

Screenshot-20200724-160841-Facebook.jpg

What I usually do is spray water on the record surfaces as it is being spun at high speed. Cleaning effectiveness is nearly as good as cavitation cleaning in my experience. I do not hear any improvement in cleanliness with ultrasonic cleaning. The ELP is ultra fussy as you know. The advantage is that with this spinner box I can use different type of water (or combination) to tailor the resultant sound to my preference. 

Buyers can order with acyclic cover to prevent moisture spilling.

Screenshot-20200724-160732-Facebook.jpg

Edited by jeromelang