speaker select switch

Hi everyone 

I have recently moved into a new place which has some in built Jensen ceiling speakers which aren't too bad when I am background listening (eg cooking etc).

I would like to be able to switch between these and my Dynaudio Special 40s through a 2 channel integrated (only one set of speaker terminals).

Can anyone recommend a device that would do this well?

Cheers

David

There are many, many box-like devices that will fulfil this function on eBay. Some as you can imagine are going to be better quality than others, and all have the potential to impact sound quality. In the past, I have used QED products for this purpose with no problem. They were solidly constructed using high quality parts. Although I cannot testify to the specifics of their 2020 products, I believe that QED is still reasonably well regarded.

It is possible to spend $25 or $500+ on implementing this.

Edited by Bisguittin
Added info
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neweskimo said:

Hi everyone 

I have recently moved into a new place which has some in built Jensen ceiling speakers which aren't too bad when I am background listening (eg cooking etc).

I would like to be able to switch between these and my Dynaudio Special 40s through a 2 channel integrated (only one set of speaker terminals).

Can anyone recommend a device that would do this well?

Cheers

David

2 hours ago, MIKE.D79 said:

I've use this before but may be a previous model.

Didn't have any issue to speak of and seemed well constructed.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7220mk3.htm

Have used the MKII also for years and with no issue at all.  Great handy unit, no power required, small foot print.

Lets you have x2 amps and x2 speakers sets set up which you can alternate to.

I have mine as a x2 amp to x1 set of speakers which allows me to choose between my IA and my AVR

Use to be able to find them locally but cant seem to find them at the moment, but you can order from Home HiFi  in the UK and it works out about $40 more than I paid a few years back

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2020 at 12:10 PM, neweskimo said:

Hi David.

How many Jensens are there in total and is there a specific reason you wanted to take them back to the main Amp eg. you sometimes want music to flow through multiple zones simultaneously or maybe you want to listen to an LP through the Jensens but not the Dynaudios when cooking etc.?

I was just thinking why not get a little Class-D SMSL Amp or similar purely to power the Jensen built-ins then just stream whatever you want via Bluetooth or feed it a line level from the pre-outs on the main Amp.  Just another option and could be done for around about the same cost as a speaker switch box with fancy terminals!  Adds a lot of flexibility but of course at the cost of complexity though.

As Buisgittin said above, this could be achieved for as little as about $20 via a switch box off eBay.  They're just simple switches in a plastic box with terminals on the rear panel so not much can go wrong with them... even a cheapie would do the trick however a 'nicer' one with better terminals may suit the rest of your system better :)

Edited by SteveAndBelle
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SteveAndBelle said:

Hi David.

How many Jensens are there in total and is there a specific reason you wanted to take them back to the main Amp eg. you sometimes want music to flow through multiple zones simultaneously or maybe you want to listen to an LP through the Jensens but not the Dynaudios when cooking etc.?

I was just thinking why not get a little Class-D SMSL Amp or similar purely to power the Jensen built-ins then just stream whatever you want via Bluetooth or feed it a line level from the pre-outs on the main Amp.  Just another option and could be done for around about the same cost as a speaker switch box with fancy terminals!  Adds a lot of flexibility but of course at the cost of complexity though.

As Buisgittin said above, this could be achieved for as little as about $20 via a switch box off eBay.  They're just simple switches in a plastic box with terminals on the rear panel so not much can go wrong with them... even a cheapie would do the trick however a 'nicer' one with better terminals may suit the rest of your system better :)

Hi Steve, 

Just the two in a slanting ceiling in a very large open plan kitchen/lounge space (with super high ceilings). Whilst the Jensens don't have the sonic capabilities of the Dynaudios by a long shot, for background listening they have their benefits due to their location in the room in terms of how they fill the room and volume. They also sound nice coming out of the Simaudio dac/amp components (with  bluetooth to the dac), so I would hesitate to take them out of that signal and power through a seperate amp? Which is why I leaned towards the switch idea to get the best of both worlds.

Appreciate all the suggestions everyone. Super helpful!

David

• Like 1

Hi David, I know you are keen on connecting through the same amp.  But I was surprised by this little device for powering my small outdoor speakers.  Connected to a raspberry pi, it streams my music collection from a nas, and does Spotify and Tidal too.  Streamer, DAC and amp all in one, and sound is decent for the speakers they are on.  It's great for nights when friends are over and we pass the phone around and play whatever comes to mind.

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-amp2/