Right now there seems to be a wealth of opportunities in the realm of tube audio here on SNA. Lots of top quality gear at excellent prices.

Or am I  biased, having just gone further down the tube path?

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't help myself. I have tallied my stock and have averaged 10 valve purchases per day since 10 October 2008 to feed the valve rolling compulsive condition I have.   Some of the best deal

I am a "veteran" and I don't "tube roll". It erodes my listening time. I prefer to listen to the music not the hifi. We veterans don't have enough years left to waste.

It's always a good time for tubes.

6 minutes ago, wen said:

once sidetracked it becomes the main road

Very, very good point. When enthusiastic music lovers become entranced by the sheer magic of tubular sound, there really is no turning back. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Bisguittin said:

Very, very good point. When enthusiastic music lovers become entranced by the sheer magic of tubular sound, there really is no turning back. 

May the glow be with you .......💡💡

• Like 3

I'm enjoying my new Weston a lot.

Thanks folks for sharing of enthusiasm. Any Sydneysiders here?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mendes said:

May the glow be with you .......💡💡

I rather like the tubes hidden away inside a component where possible.  I enjoyed the glow when I first started and now I just see possibilities for my baby daughter to burn her fingers.  Sound quality is all that matters  ;)

On another note,  just put 0.01uf Cornell Dubillier silver mica bypass caps across the 0.22uf Miflex KPCU-1 tube coupling caps in my Wavebourn Edelweiss-3 power amp.... Just burning in today  ;)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 2

I got quite stressed about my decision to go ATC active, actually losing sleep during the process.

Then the Supratek popped up in the Classifieds and, upon arrival and installation, immediately set my mind (and soul) at ease. The addition of some vintage valve goodness in the last couple of days has added to my bliss and all anxieties have been completely alleviated.

Go the Glow!

• Like 5

Tube rolling is rather expensive tho... keen to know from veterans here on where is a good place to shop for tubes. I received delivery of a Willsenton R8 and quite interested to experiment in the future but the prices are putting me off. Or is this just the name of the game? 

19 minutes ago, 2Dculture said:

Tube rolling is rather expensive tho... keen to know from veterans here on where is a good place to shop for tubes. I received delivery of a Willsenton R8 and quite interested to experiment in the future but the prices are putting me off. Or is this just the name of the game? 

I gave up on rolling fancy tubes and stick to matched graded new ones. The tube store and tube depot are good places for me.

https://www.thetubestore.com/

https://www.tubedepot.com/

• Like 3

my venture into tubes had a strong consideration for on going cost of tubes, hence my purchase of an Elekit TU-8200R integrated amp , 8wpc in UL,two output tubes and two pre tubes,  have bought a spare set of standard JJ brand tubes, have been enjoying the sound from day one. I succumbed to buying a matched pair of Gold Lion EEC82 gold pin tubes, had them in for about 20hrs , put back the original JJ's, to me these sounded so much better, the Gold Lion just sit in the cupboard, there is so much info on the net about tube rolling it makes you head spin

20191019_221939.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I can't help myself. I have tallied my stock and have averaged 10 valve purchases per day since 10 October 2008 to feed the valve rolling compulsive condition I have.

Some of the best deals to be found are the local finds where the seller says their pop passed away and I don't know the value of each valve, and the BIN price is extremely attractive. Then I drool when I open up all those blue and red Radiotron and blue and yellow Miniwatt boxes from yesteryear and find treasured possessions sourced from all over the world that arrived into AU by ship in the past.

Now how addicted am I to valve rolling is really bad. I have had to replace valve sockets frequently because of this compulsive addiction I have to try every single valve under the sun. I go to bed thinking WTF why didn't I try the Brimar 12BH7 in the AU7 position because the in circuit grid voltage is biased to a more negative value or what if I combine the airy sound of the Munich toob with the Long Island NY toob to get the best sound out of the input stage of the MU pair in cascode arrangement.

I often wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the pure pleasure of valve rolling some lady's crafted weaving of fine wiring loom in a gassed envelope of sonic bliss.

Boys and girls I need therapy really bad as I am a self obsessed valveaholic.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I can't help myself. I have tallied my stock and have averaged 10 valve purchases per day since 10 October 2008 to feed the valve rolling compulsive condition I have.

Some of the best deals to be found are the local finds where the seller says their pop passed away and I don't know the value of each valve, and the BIN price is extremely attractive. Then I drool when I open up all those blue and red Radiotron and blue and yellow Miniwatt boxes from yesteryear and find treasured possessions sourced from all over the world that arrived into AU by ship in the past.

Now how addicted am I to valve rolling is really bad. I have had to replace valve sockets frequently because of this compulsive addiction I have to try every single valve under the sun. I go to bed thinking WTF why didn't I try the Brimar 12BH7 in the AU7 position because the in circuit grid voltage is biased to a more negative value or what if I combine the airy sound of the Munich toob with the Long Island NY toob to get the best sound out of the input stage of the MU pair in cascode arrangement.

I often wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the pure pleasure of valve rolling some lady's crafted weaving of fine wiring loom in a gassed envelope of sonic bliss.

You must have started where I left off!

Although, mine was more accumulating than rolling.

I started when really, no one wanted them and you picked up bags of them 'untested' for a few dollars.

Then the prices starting going up and I got too busy with work and whatnot and it seems I've handed the baton to you!

At the time, I justified it as my 'superanuation fund' ........................and it has increased in value!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I feel compelled to say at this juncture for the benefit of fellow members who may not know, Kirk (xlr8or), has been willing to freely share his VAST knowledge of valves with me (and I suspect many others) in my stumbling naive journey through this esoteric minefield. When I recently decided to upgrade the tube compliment of a newly acquired vintage Trevor Lee's device, Kirk not only had recommendations based on my musical preferences, but personally invested his own time scouring the world for possible tubular candidates. The results have been spectacular! His ready support and encouragement to me, are emblematic of what this site is all about - genuine enthusiasts who are excited to share the magic of their own considerable passion. Kirk is a National Treasure!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I gave up on rolling fancy tubes and stick to matched graded new ones. The tube store and tube depot are good places for me.

https://www.thetubestore.com/

https://www.tubedepot.com/

I am a "veteran" and I don't "tube roll".

It erodes my listening time.

I prefer to listen to the music not the hifi.

We veterans don't have enough years left to waste.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Colin Rutter said:

Same, and I listen to my system thousands of hours each year which means I should replace valves more than most, and yet ironically, I do so less than most.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, wen said:

my venture into tubes had a strong consideration for on going cost of tubes, hence my purchase of an Elekit TU-8200R integrated amp , 8wpc in UL,two output tubes and two pre tubes,  have bought a spare set of standard JJ brand tubes, have been enjoying the sound from day one. I succumbed to buying a matched pair of Gold Lion EEC82 gold pin tubes, had them in for about 20hrs , put back the original JJ's, to me these sounded so much better, the Gold Lion just sit in the cupboard, there is so much info on the net about tube rolling it makes you head spin

20191019_221939.jpg

A chap I regularly talk to overseas has one of these. Says its a great sounding little unit. He's cap upgraded and tube rolled his. I can't remember which caps.... Was either Miflex KPCU-1 or Audyn True Copper Max..... My memory leans towards it having been the Miflex....

My father had some great sound equipment, including esoteric speakers, valve amps and a serious record collection (plus top of the line record player).

In his last few years he was one of the first, in the mid 80s, to embrace CDs and SS amps to go with his last speakers (Quad ESLPro- 63s).    He liked the convenience of the CDS, and didn't mind the sound either ( and he had an "educated" ear).  The "revival" of valves and records, which took place mostly after he passed away in the early 90s, would have have fascinated him.

I have only ever had SS pre/amps etc, but for what will be my last system, was considering going down the valves road .....until reading about xlr8or's "obsession".   (and some of the rest of you guys are just as impressively into it).

Agree with Leon (Bisguittin).  Kirk (xlr8or) definitely qualifies as a national treasure if he has been even half the help to others that Leon has mentioned.

His spending on valves must have rivalled the national debt of some small countries - "averaged 10 valves per day since 10 October 2008"!   Yikes.

My maths is only ordinary, but that is ......more than 43,000 tubes.  One tube purchased per day, over that period of time, around 4300, would scare the #8@> out of me (and my bank account).

Brilliant to see that there are people out there with such a love for something, but I may have to re-think the valve "road"......can see how easily it could become an obsession, even at my advanced age.

Seriously though, thank heavens for the distraction and pleasure to be found on the StereoNet forums at the present times.

Best wishes to all of you, especially those living in/close to any "hotspots", whether in Australia or overseas,

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi @parrasaw love an obsession and reading about others part, total and obscure obsessions... :) ... cheers to all those oldies out there/on here that have an obsession with valves! :) 

"Totally Tubular"

(Rocky Mountain International Audio Fest, 2014)

Panelists:

Ron Gold (Founder & President of Gold Sound), Charles Kirmuss (Radio Pioneer), and Kevin Dea (PrimaLuna).

Program:

1. INTRODUCTION

2. CLASSIC 1950s & 60s Tube Designs and Amplifier Construction Techniques

3. Why “Tube’s Sound Better”

4. Improvements in Modern Tube Amps

5. Frequency response: solid state and CD versus tube and LP’s: myths revealed

6. Tube CD players & DACs

7. Compatible Speakers & associated equipment

8. Demonstration of old & new tube amps

9. Conclusion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great post audiofeline!     I have watched a bit, and will watch the rest later.

Knowledge, enthusiasm.  Got the lot.

Thanks for putting it up.

My final amp choice will depend on final speaker choice and matching the amps etc to that, but the valves are definitely still in the mix.

Paul.

• Like 1

Dear fellow enthusiasts, do you find that very few people respond positively to your interest? 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Brilliant mate 👊

1 hour ago, dr_carl said:

Dear fellow enthusiasts, do you find that very few people respond positively to your interest? 

You're right. I never realised that.......?!??   It's only others in this forum.........?!?!

I'm a little surprised/bemused by the people who ask me what I  did during the break (I'm a teacher). Upon my telling them I bought a tube amp I get a pause, an "oh yes" and further conversation seems rather one sided...me. showing pics gets total bewilderment - They have never seen anything like that before and do not understand it.

At least my partner likes anything made of glass, and does like the sound, and did not interrogate me over the purchase, which was never goingto be a stealth job..oh no.

And you folks are enlightened,  too, in the way of tubes.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dr_carl said:

Only outside of the forums.... You know....  Real life 

Edited by MattyW
14 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

You may well say 'Veteran'...................I say OC!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

Is "OC" rude?

Of course it is!................and only meant in fun!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

Perhaps its time to say goodbye to Stereonet.

I don't like rude.

Rodney...........don't be so coy........