• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished the Perth Running Festival half. Very happy with the time but struggling to walk at the moment. Hopefully can pull up ok for next weekend.

Me too !  

My body is broken. 😞  

Hi guys, I've been getting back into running since July after a few years off. I'm running in the 10Km event in the Melbourne Marathon next week, obviously not looking for a PB (long way off that) but am looking forward to it. Have a left hip area issue at the moment but hopefully it won't cause be too much grief on the day.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Hi guys, I've been getting back into running since July after a few years off. I'm running in the 10Km event in the Melbourne Marathon next week, obviously not looking for a PB (long way off that) but am looking forward to it. Have a left hip area issue at the moment but hopefully it won't cause be too much grief on the day.

Enjoy :)

Just finished the Perth Running Festival half. Very happy with the time but struggling to walk at the moment. Hopefully can pull up ok for next weekend.

886E6691-E02A-40D1-9393-65339F5D08B1.thumb.png.f7c91b02f4f8f8c4cea05612b6ace738.png

• Like 5

Trevor

was it a warm day? Warmer than you had been training in? That would do it.

Last year (Melbourne 2018) was horrid with a hot north wind.

Benje

6 minutes ago, Benje said:

Trevor

was it a warm day? Warmer than you had been training in? That would do it.

Last year (Melbourne 2018) was horrid with a hot north wind.

Benje

It was a combination of things I reckon...

main one was that I ran a 50k trail run only three weeks earlier.

But also, the 3:30 pacers I was following went out too fast. They were doing 3:20 pace. I knew it, I knew that I should hang back but I didn’t. 

My own fault. 

Mind you, looking back at this thread, I still beat my time from eight years ago so I’m pretty chuffed about that. 

• Like 2

On 13/10/2019 at 4:25 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I blew up big time. 

First half was around 1:44 and then the wheels fell off. 

Did I say I was in pain?

I feel your pain mate. Was in pain the whole way. Up until the 12km mark I was averaging 4.50min/km so was pretty happy, then hit a wall and it was tough going to the finish. 
The missus daughter got 2.06 for her first half. She was stoked, the most she had ran before was 11km.

That is sub 6 minute kilometres Pops - a great barrier to beat first up.

Tell her that a Kenyan female ran Chicago on Sunday in 2:14:04 - for the full marathon! That will bring her back to earth  :)

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Been a bit quiet on the running front for me. I got a facet joint injury in December which literally had me on my back for two weeks. Agonising nerve pain down the front of my leg. 

Anyway, gradually building the miles back up over the past 3 months and I’m back at a decent distance for my long runs now. 

Trouble is I have to get out at sparrow’s (5:30am this morning) to avoid the crowds on the bike path. 

Here’s today’s trot 

3C39FDA2-E049-401B-AC60-41CD1BE8731B.thumb.jpeg.10bd14cd168b3b1f693351de89dc84ae.jpeg

• Like 1

I did 14 km this morning along the Torrens River Trail SSZ.  And 13.5 km on Wednesday.

Plus some hills last week and some grandstands this week.

I am mixing some bike rides with running - none of it is quick but the fitness is returning and the waist line disappearing.

A day running, Two days on the bike, repeat, then a day of for golf.

Doesn't seem to be as bad for injuries as previous routines I have done which had more running involved.

I am a lot slower than you - I aspire to do that in about 6:25 pace for 21.1 km in about 6 weeks time - social run, not organised of course.

Benje

• Like 3

Only did my first run back from the Melbourne half yesterday. Had plantar issues and just been lazy. Was booked in for a few runs but unfortunately all canned at the moment. I struggle with motivation if I don’t have any runs booked in.

2718B476-A169-4962-95D4-EA49516B5319.jpeg.d7538547fa9763cff138eaa857ae256a.jpeg

• Like 2

Pops

if you have plantar fasciitis issues, keep a frozen water bottle in the freezer.

Roll your feet on the frozen bottle first thing in the morning, and after a run.

It will help, as long as the condition hasn't become chronic.

Obviously, manage your distance, make sure your shoes aren't stuffed and make sure they suit your foot.

As you no doubt know from painful experience, you can't run with chronic PF, nor will it improve from a mild state with too much running.

6 hours ago, Benje said:

Pops

if you have plantar fasciitis issues, keep a frozen water bottle in the freezer.

Roll your feet on the frozen bottle first thing in the morning, and after a run.

It will help, as long as the condition hasn't become chronic.

Obviously, manage your distance, make sure your shoes aren't stuffed and make sure they suit your foot.

As you no doubt know from painful experience, you can't run with chronic PF, nor will it improve from a mild state with too much running.

Cheers mate.

The ice bottle didn’t really help a great deal. Been working with the physio doing strength training and stretching. As have some carbon fibre insoles for my shoes and work boots. Been helping but I have been lazy, time to pull my finger out.

Change running shoes every 6-700 kms, using Saucony at the moment, very nice I like them.

The PF is certainly a pain in the bum.

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Cheers mate.

The ice bottle didn’t really help a great deal. Been working with the physio doing strength training and stretching. As have some carbon fibre insoles for my shoes and work boots. Been helping but I have been lazy, time to pull my finger out.

Change running shoes every 6-700 kms, using Saucony at the moment, very nice I like them.

The PF is certainly a pain in the bum.

I had a plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago. Tried everything from that silly sock thing (passion killer that is :) ), to stretching to ice bottles. Nothing worked.

My doctor suggested trying shockwave therapy - basically they hit your heel with an air piston over and over again. It's really sore and they doctor who did it warned me that it only works about 30% of the time (not sure of the exact figure but it was low) and they don't even understand why it works.

Anyway, I went in for three treatments and was fine after that. So maybe it's worth a shot.

In any event, it will go away even if you do nothing. 

Good luck, it's bloody annoying and painful

Hmmmmmm🤔

Sounds crazy, never heard of it before but will have a look into it. 
Id be keen if it worked. Maybe worth a shot for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are crazy running those kind of distances ! Hats off 😛

I'm only running 5 kms (in around 24 minutes at the moment). I would like to go below 22 min for 5 km in 1 month or so

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mvqq said:

You guys are crazy running those kind of distances ! Hats off 😛

I'm only running 5 kms (in around 24 minutes at the moment). I would like to go below 22 min for 5 km in 1 month or so

Thats pretty quick… 

I'm no expert, but I reckon if you want to improve your 5k time you should be doing a combination of shorter interval work with some longer runs.

So I'd look at say two sprint/interval sessions a week and one long run (probably no more than an hour and make sure you go slow enough that you can talk - the long run isn't meant to be fast)

My best 5k time in the last 10 years is just a touch over 22 min and I'd love to get below 20 min but I reckon at my age, that's pretty ambitious :)

Edited by sir sanders zingmore
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advices Sir Sanders! Do you think running on stairs could also help ?