Advice sought on av audio set up

Hi,

I am totally new to the arcane world of Projectors and A/V. Just bought myself an Epson 9400 projector (excellent) and on the advice of the shop people a panasonic UHD 400 player. I have a great stereo audio set up and the idea was to get digital audio via toslink to my DAC and play the sound through my existing stereo system which is excellent. I didnt want to worry about soundbars, A/V receivers etc. Problem solved? No. In the Panasonic manual it says it exports PCM stereo via toslink. However, none of my DACS  (Benchmark DAC) "hear" anything from the player - they just dont detect the signal despite the fact that I believe I have the right settings and have checked those.  I THINK that this is because they must receive Linear uncompressed PCM and that the PCM being output from the player is some sort of strange undisclosed compressed version?

Anyway, assuming that I cant connect my panasonic to my excellent stereo system what are the viable alternatives? Is there such a thing as a really good soundbar that wont break the bank?

I would appreciate assistance as it seems that the world of A/V and stereo sound systems are not supposed to connect with each other!

Cheers

It is likely you have the wrong setting in the Panasonic player.  I assume you are playing a movie.  

In settings, you need to go to Sound section, in Digital Audio Output, set Dolby Audio and DTS to PCM (not Bitstream).  Also set Downmix to stereo (not surround).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarbethRob said:

Ok, I have all the settings as suggested. 

The DAC is still saying Non PCM.

But thanks for your help. Is anyone else running the panasonic into a DAC with any success?

I have a Panasonic UB9000 (a higher end model) and it does play via optical to my DAC (just tested it). My menu structure may be slightly different, but the setup of all Panasonic are essentially the same.

Please recheck that in Sound/DigitalOutput,  Dolby Audio: PCM,  DTS/DTS-Audio: PCM,  Mpeg Audio: PCM, BD-Video Secondary Audio: Off

Optical/Coax Down Sampling: Up to 96 Khx

Downmix: Stereo

Please try several movies.

If that does not work, go to System and enable Default settings which will set the player back to factory settings, and redo the Sound/Digital Output.

p/s All BD players default to HDMI for playback to an AVR.  You have to change the settings to play on a stereo system.

Hi

Thanks so much. It is all good now and I am getting excellent sound out of Toslink. My mistake was not setting all the Dolby settings to output PCM. I am delighted. Really appreciate your help snoopy8.

Rob

• Like 1