ARCAM CDS50 SACD PLAYER

I bought one of these beauties yesterday they retail for 1600 He is selling demo units for 900

One of the highest spec sacd players out there complete with balanced output as well. Except for the tiniest mark on the case the condition was unbelievable. The player sounds great easily the best sounding CD player Ive owned

IMG_20200716_102421.jpg

• Like 5

Does this unit manage streaming from Spotify/Tidal?  Anyone used the software?  I’m looking at getting a Bluesound Vault 2i, but this unit looks interesting.  

My highest priority is ease of use for family, followed by sound.  I’m eyeballing the vault as I want to (eventually) burn all my CDs, but no an absolute at this stage....

3 hours ago, Tylerhk said:

How does it handle the digital output for SACD? Will it downstream and output as DSD? Thanks!

Most certainly not as that would be against sacd copy protection. Usually you either get pcm at the digital output or this is shut off altogether when playing sacds. 

It also doesn't support playback of dsd files directly so most likely it converts the sacd data to pcm before going through its internal dac when playing sacds. 

Edited by Stedes
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stedes said:

Most certainly not as that would be against sacd copy protection. Usually you either get pcm at the digital output or this is shut off altogether when playing sacds. 

It also doesn't support playback of dsd files directly so most likely it converts the sacd data to pcm before going through its internal dac when playing sacds. 

converts to pcm then outputs via digital, the output is 24 bit its not downsampled just converted. it doesn't effect sound quality at all. the internal docs sound great. its better than no sacd digital output at all, which is the case with nearly all players. I have mine outputting to my external dac via optical. Couldn't be happier with its sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grorr76 said:

converts to pcm then outputs via digital, the output is 24 bit its not downsampled just converted. it doesn't effect sound quality at all. the internal docs sound great. its better than no sacd digital output at all, which is the case with nearly all players. I have mine outputting to my external dac via optical. Couldn't be happier with its sound.

Are you sure?  I thought it converted SACD DSD to PCM for analogue output but, as required by the SACD rules, does not output SACD via digital outputs.

27 minutes ago, scobb said:

Are you sure?  I thought it converted SACD DSD to PCM for analogue output but, as required by the SACD rules, does not output SACD via digital outputs.

I think he means it converts to a PCM digital output.

8 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I think he means it converts to a PCM digital output.

But is shouldn't do that either!  I am not aware of any (HDMIless) player that outputs the SACD layer via digital out in DSD or PCM.  Only the CD layer.

17 minutes ago, scobb said:

But is shouldn't do that either!  I am not aware of any (HDMIless) player that outputs the SACD layer via digital out in DSD or PCM.  Only the CD layer.

definitely outputs hires pcm from the sacd layer. ive tested that myself via the optical output

Edited by grorr76
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

definitely outputs hires pcm from the sacd layer. ive tested that myself via the optical output

This then is the first player I know of to totally disregard the SACD rules!  I suppose they thought that no one cares anymore so no one will sue them.  I'm still very surprised given it's Arcam who usually play by the rules.  What rez does it show on your dac 24/88.2 or 24/96, not that it matters I'm just intrigued?

Edited by scobb

10 minutes ago, scobb said:

This then is the first player I know of to totally disregard the SACD rules!  I suppose they thought that no one cares anymore so no one will sue them.  I'm still very surprised given it's Arcam which is usually play by the rules.  What rez does it show on your dac 24/88.2 or 24/96, not that it matters I'm just intrigued?

so I can confirm output via digital is 24bit 88khz

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Could be upsampling the CD layer!

no it clearly says sacd layer as its playing . in the settings to do this you have to select "no downsampling" default layer sacd.  there is absolutely no upsampling as a normal rebook cd comes out 16 44.1 and is clearly marked cd .. its because of this feature I bought it. its almost non existent elsewhere, but it is what it is. For that im very thankful

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grorr76 said:

no it clearly says sacd layer as its playing . in the settings to do this you have to select "no downsampling" default layer sacd.  there is absolutely no upsampling as a normal rebook cd comes out 16 44.1 and is clearly marked cd .. its because of this feature I bought it. its almost non existent elsewhere, but it is what it is. For that im very thankful

Really appreciate your sharing as user. Do you have any single layer SACD? If yes, can you do me a favour to see whether the digital output is working when playing the disc. Like the other posters above, I am still amazed that Arcam bypass Sony’s rules to allow digital output even it is in PCM. If the digital output works, I am buying it. Using it as a SACD transport already worth it.

1 minute ago, Tylerhk said:

Really appreciate your sharing as user. Do you have any single layer SACD? If yes, can you do me a favour to see whether the digital output is working when playing the disc. Like the other posters above, I am still amazed that Arcam bypass Sony’s rules to allow digital output even it is in PCM. If the digital output works, I am buying it. Using it as a SACD transport already worth it.

not sure there is anything akin to a sacd only disc. If there is I don't have one. Again I reiterate. The player clearly says on the screen when its playing a cd or sacd. When playing the SACD it outputs 24 bit 88khz. It isn't available as default you have to set the player to not downsample from the disc. That may be how Arcam are getting around it

There certainly is single layer SACD only discs, I have quite a few.

I would also like to know if it works with a SACD only disc as if it does I will be buying one.

Ken

1 minute ago, Ken said:

I would also like to know if it works with a SACD only disc as if it does I will be buying one.

Ken

sorry all mine are hybrids

18 minutes ago, Ken said:

Ken

One must assume it does!  It's really quite a unique player given the news.  Just a shame it doesn't output DSD and then I might have had an interest!

13 minutes ago, scobb said:

One must assume it does!  It's really quite a unique player given the news.  Just a shame it doesn't output DSD and then I might have had an interest!

I was about to say that I think the PS Audio disc player outputs DSD to the Direct Stream DAC, but it seems that they have retired the player. Probably, I suppose, a new disc spinner waiting in the wings, though there might be a couple on clearance, if not now, soonish. Or, see what pops up in the Classifieds/E-Bay.

46 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

sorry all mine are hybrids

Thank you so much for your input already. I am just concerned that Arcam is outputting the cd layer instead of the Sacd one (but the bit rate is 22/88 seems encouraging). 

the ps audio player can only output Sacd steam to its own brand DAC and not other players due to the Sony copyright rules. So if Arcam can do digital output to any DAC even only in PCM format, it is a breakthrough that I will be buying one.

2 minutes ago, Tylerhk said:

Thank you so much for your input already. I am just concerned that Arcam is outputting the cd layer instead of the Sacd one (but the bit rate is 22/88 seems encouraging). 

the ps audio player can only output Sacd steam to its own brand DAC and not other players due to the Sony copyright rules. So if Arcam can do digital output to any DAC even only in PCM format, it is a breakthrough that I will be buying one.

When your playing sacd it’s clearly labeled saCd when yr playing a CD it says CD so you have no worries there. 

Edited by grorr76