Best amplifier for B W 805D3

Hi all...

I'm looking for advice on the best integrated or pre/power for my recently acquired 805D3s.  I later intend to add a powered sub.

My source is an Oppo 205.

So far I've researched NAD (M32, 33), Hegel 190, Parasound Halo, Naim Nova, Arcam, Rotel RA1592, Cambridge Edge A, Benchmark AHBS and at a stretch Class Audio or Pass Labs INT25,

Advice also sought on matching interconnects, speaker cable...

I listen to female vocalists and also louder pop, rock music....

If you're a dealer you may also assist...

Thanks Chris....

IMG_20200708_200452.jpg.01b7727c1378798af0825dc63affacbd.jpg

Musical Fidelity M5si would be a great pairing and going further up to the price level of the CA,  a Luxman 507 would be far better.

You will certainly receive many recommendations here and everybody will have different ideas, but the essential thing is to audition whatever you can (within reason ) and never buy something based on reviews alone if you have not heard it with your speakers.

Given some of the prices of what you have explored you could also go for the Line Magnetic LM 805, which is just superb in every way.

https://line-magnetic.com.au/portfolio-item/lm-805ia/

Edited by rantan

Knowing budget always helps. Stereophile shows these have an impedance which is best served by running off 4ohm taps though, if you're going valve, even if the manufacturer advertises them as 8 ohm nominal.

These with the KT150 option would be an excellent match:

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/cyber-880i

I use an Elektra Pnyx pre and Elektra Reference HD power combination with my 805d3 and its a good match.

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=elektra

I have also used a 45 watt Weston Topaz with KT120 valves - it was a ok but these speakers really only come in to their own with power. My Topaz only has 8 ohm taps so i don't know if 4 ohm taps would have helped.  I'd love to give a big valve amp a go as per Cyber suggestion above.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 1

I've heard one of the previous models of the 805 with an oppo as the source.  The first amp was a Modwright and that was very unpleasant to listen to (admittedly the room was bright, all tiles and glass) to the point where I had to grit my teeth and set my jaw just to stay in the room.  A Luxman 507 was a definite improvement but still too bright in my opinion.  I'd recommend a 550 or 590 over a 507 if going with a Luxman.

The bigger analogue Classe amps might be a good match but I suspect the Sigma range will be a bit on the bright side too, or at least the 2200i, I'm assuming the pre/pwr models have a similar sound.  Same for the Halo I would think.  I could be wrong of course, I'm going with my gut here.

You should target something warm or smooth, to counter the natural detail and brightness of the 800 series (or at least, I would, your preferences may vary of course) maybe a Naim or Exposure model.  You've mentioned the Rotel 1592, I believe that is meant to be a warmer sounding amp too.  I can't really comment on the others.

I see a Perreaux Audiant 80i on ebay at the moment at a reasonable discount, if you like female vocals then that definitely warrants consideration (it is short on bass but if you are planning on adding a sub anyway then that won't be an issue).

• Like 1

This is the brightness he's talking about, courtesy of Stereophile. The green is the output from the tweeter:

317BW805fig03.jpg

If you're a DSP speaker/room correction subscriber (as I am) you can easily tame it, and then your choice of amplifier expands considerably as you won't need to use an amp with a rolled off top end, but best to stick to an amp that is easily able to drive a 4 ohm load.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fishkill62 said:

Hi all...

I'm looking for advice on the best integrated or pre/power for my recently acquired 805D3s.

You need to try few amps with your favorite music to establish your personal taste. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fishkill62 said:

Hi all...

I'm looking for advice on the best integrated or pre/power for my recently acquired 805D3s.  I later intend to add a powered sub.

My source is an Oppo 205.

So far I've researched NAD (M32, 33), Hegel 190, Parasound Halo, Naim Nova, Arcam, Rotel RA1592, Cambridge Edge A, Benchmark AHBS and at a stretch Class Audio or Pass Labs INT25,

Advice also sought on matching interconnects, speaker cable...

I listen to female vocalists and also louder pop, rock music....

If you're a dealer you may also assist...

Thanks Chris....

IMG_20200708_200452.jpg.01b7727c1378798af0825dc63affacbd.jpg

Something to be aware of is the 205 is a tad harsh as a source. 

While well regarded, I have one and haven't used it as a source for music or movie fronts since getting one of Clay's DACs from Gieseler Audio. I'm using the Oppo 205 coax output to the DAC. 

The improvement to music was apparent to me in under 10 seconds. Music just flows and increase in clarity with loss of harshness, and sound stage better. Downstream I have an early Metaxas Soliloquy and Lenehan ML2+Rs. 205 is fatiguing to listen to by comparison. 

For HT I use the analogue outs to drive back surrounds and don't currently have any need for a sub or centre speaker. 

Edited by DrSK

BTW, for anyone considering the 805s, their stand is worth spending on. However if it's too expensive, the Dreadnoughts are great too and the Atacama HMS series stands are a minimum for good support..

Biwiring isn't a big deal but I would suggest the QED XT40 as a starting point. Cheers

• Like 2

The vitus you enquired on the for sale section would the best option in my opinion however if the  b&w sound as harsh as my previous focal 1028 be i would change the speakers as they make the biggest difference. The vitus is on the worm side according to some .To me it sounds completely neutral.My vitus doesn't have the dac board,so I'm using a denafrips Ares 2 and I'm extremely happy with my combination with Harbeth monitor 30.1

19 hours ago, 7502dan said:

The vitus you enquired on the for sale section would the best option in my opinion however if the  b&w sound as harsh as my previous focal 1028 be i would change the speakers as they make the biggest difference. The vitus is on the worm side according to some .To me it sounds completely neutral.My vitus doesn't have the dac board,so I'm using a denafrips Ares 2 and I'm extremely happy with my combination with Harbeth monitor 30.1

Maybe 1028 be were sometimes too much, that's why they replaced them with Kanta. Anyway I would prefer Kanta or Sopra over Harbeth, just my personal taste.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2020 at 5:09 PM, Irek said:

Maybe 1028 be were sometimes too much, that's why they replaced them with Kanta. Anyway I would prefer Kanta or Sopra over Harbeth, just my personal taste.  

It is personal preference,however my focals had exactly the same sound signature as the focal miniutopia,i recognised the sameness in 10 seconds .Believe me i tried to make the 1028 work(to my taste)that's why i bought the vitus,thinking there was something wrong with my Devialet amp.I doubt that focal changed radically between series, wich harbeth you're comparing to?

Have you listened to all the DAC filter offerings of your Oppo 205?

Look under Settings, you might actually prefer one filter over the others.

So not just pre/power amp/interconnects...

Musical Fidelity amps of 2-300W are good match for these speakers.

11 hours ago, solar-g said:

Have you listened to all the DAC filter offerings of your Oppo 205?

Look under Settings, you might actually prefer one filter over the others.

So not just pre/power amp/interconnects...

Musical Fidelity amps of 2-300W are good match for these speakers.

Thanks, can you confirm the 205 can be used as a pre Amp......I have heard this before when paired with Electra power amps.  Are there any other power amps that can be paired?  Thanks....

57 minutes ago, fishkill62 said:

Thanks, can you confirm the 205 can be used as a pre Amp......I have heard this before when paired with Electra power amps.  Are there any other power amps that can be paired?  Thanks....

I have a OPPO 205 ... 

For speakers this type I’d use OPPO as source and either integrated or pre pwr option

Certainly consider Elektra, also main, electrocompaniet, musical fidelity m6si-m6pre-pwr,m6500i or mx8i or nuvista would be really nice ... also worth considering some other   options ... that may not be obvious ... I heard a great pairing of 802d with audio reeearch ... I found a great match with my focal 1007be and unison research s6 valve amp...

if in melb Sydney be retailers help you check out these options not sure other states

some brands eg rotel wish made a michi integrated otherwise have tried their pre power to upper integrated ? Classe seem still lost in woods but have made nice integrated pity I think. Delta series been lost along way

some brands eg Cyrus parasound anthem I wouldn’t think a good match but maybe worth exploring ...