do I need an amp? Beginner question

Hi guys, 
I'm looking for some advices. I've got an Audio-Technica LP120X. It is connected to the speakers which means I'm using the preamp built-in. 
Now I wanna go one step further and improve the sound quality. I'm looking for an affordable preamp and think Cambridge Audio CP1 is a good start. 
My question is about the amplifier. Do I need it? I have Edifier R1000T4 speakers. So I'm not sure if an amplifier is really needed when active speakers are used. 
So basically I want this -> turntable -> preamp -> (active) speakers . No amplifier in the middle. 

I'm not too familiar with this kind of thinks, i'm a beginner.

Thanks all!

Your Turntable has a phono / line switch, on the rear of the TT,  so if you turn it to "phono" and used a phono preamp, you would not need a Amplifier with your active speakers.

From your manual

3. Pre-amplifier selector switch If using an amplifier with a PHONO input jack, set this switch to the PHONO position. If connecting to the AUX jack of an amplifier, set this switch to the LINE position.

You don't need an amp with those speakers they have one built in.
Until you want more power then you will want an amp and bigger speakers

8 hours ago, josedimarco said:

Hi guys, 
I'm looking for some advices. I've got an Audio-Technica LP120X. It is connected to the speakers which means I'm using the preamp built-in. 
Now I wanna go one step further and improve the sound quality. I'm looking for an affordable preamp and think Cambridge Audio CP1 is a good start. 
My question is about the amplifier. Do I need it? I have Edifier R1000T4 speakers. So I'm not sure if an amplifier is really needed when active speakers are used. 
So basically I want this -> turntable -> preamp -> (active) speakers . No amplifier in the middle. 

I'm not too familiar with this kind of thinks, i'm a beginner.

Thanks all!

Amplifier is built into the speakers. You already have it.

Hi,

I would be saving up for a better pair of powered speakers, by either going up the Edifier Range, if you like their sound, to say the S1000DB for around $500, or If you wish to go even further, something like the Klipsch R-41PM Powered Speakers for about $1000.

JJ

• Like 1

I'll agree with what @Janjuc said above. I think with your current setup you're unlikely to reap any benefits from getting an external phono stage like the CA.

You have a solid TT. The weak link in your system at the moment is your speakers. if I were you I'd keep using it as is, and save up. There's a lot of upgrade paths to go with.

For example:

1. Better active speakers - apart from what's already been suggested consider Adam or Genelec monitors if you have a desktop setup (i.e. sit very close to the speakers). Advantages of this setup is simplicity and less cabling but you'll be limited to one source and to add wny more sources you will need to buy a preamp.

2. Change to passive speakers and an integrated amplifier. There's a lot of options here and something for every budget. Advantages of this is that you now have option for more sources to play with and most integrated amps also have phono stages built in so you won't need an external phono stage initially at least.

Currently you do not need an amp. Your speakers are active which means that they have amps inside them. 

1 hour ago, Stedes said:

I'll agree with what @Janjuc said above. I think with your current setup you're unlikely to reap any benefits from getting an external phono stage like the CA.

You have a solid TT. The weak link in your system at the moment is your speakers. if I were you I'd keep using it as is, and save up. There's a lot of upgrade paths to go with.

For example:

1. Better active speakers - apart from what's already been suggested consider Adam or Genelec monitors if you have a desktop setup (i.e. sit very close to the speakers). Advantages of this setup is simplicity and less cabling but you'll be limited to one source and to add wny more sources you will need to buy a preamp.

2. Change to passive speakers and an integrated amplifier. There's a lot of options here and something for every budget. Advantages of this is that you now have option for more sources to play with and most integrated amps also have phono stages built in so you won't need an external phono stage initially at least.

Currently you do not need an amp. Your speakers are active which means that they have amps inside them. 

thanks. Do you think Edifier R1280t is a good and affordable option?

1 hour ago, josedimarco said:

I doubt many here rate Edifier much at all yet they get good reviews on the net.
I bought a pair for that reason to put on my computer. $150 or a $1000? What's better value for money? Yes I'd prefer Australian made. But it's not always economical.
I played my AT-LP 120XUSB through them for a few days and found them to be pretty good.
But then I'm not an audiophile

2 hours ago, josedimarco said:

That depends on how much better you want your system to sound, the Edifier R1280t seem to be a small step diagonally, not sideways or forwards, just a little extra power. You seem to be stuck on the Edifier brand so ask yourself:

1. How much do I have to spend.

2. How much of an improvement do I want

3. Will I be satisfied with these speakers in a few months time and want something better, as resale of the Edifiers speakers will be a big loss, if you can sell them.

Go and try to listen to as many powered speakers as you can within your price budget, as reading reviews does not apply to how you hear things, only how the reviewer hears things.

• Like 1