Your Favourite vintage Turntable and, please, some details

11 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

I have a 4002 and I agree they are not the greatest TT but they look good

Maybe the stepup amp that is in built is.the problem?

They are reasonably easy to rebuild which surprised me with all the auto stuff

They sell for at least $1000 which I think is way too much for the SQ you get.

I have a white 4002 in mint cond. and have been offered $3200 for that one including the owners manual I still have. The other expensive one is the 4 ch. 6000 Lateral, just sold that one to a collector

19 hours ago, mjs said:

This is a stock image, I haven't got one of the original unit, but I had a Beogram 4000 in the late 70's for a year or so. It was a beautiful piece of engineering. Not sure it was the greatest sounding turntable, but it was a joy to watch (and listen to)

beogram4000.jpg

I have a Beogram 4000 and a 4002. The 4000 is a much rarer unit and much better engineered.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Analog Revenge said:

I have a white 4002 in mint cond. and have been offered $3200 for that one including the owners manual I still have. The other expensive one is the 4 ch. 6000 Lateral, just sold that one to a collector

As a collection item sure $3K plus is fine they are a design icon and as a totally auto player they have no equal.

My 4002 is so mint it has no finger marks on the buttons

I doubt that it has played 100 records 

The first owner blew a power supply fuse just after he bought it and put it away he didnt know it was a fuse.

They had put the wrong fuse in when it was made.

The 6000 is very similar but is slightly down engineered

The 4002 can be retro fitted with the cd4 decoder if your into 4 channel

From memory the 6000 has the tone arm and the other arm reversed. It uses a different linear sensing system

It would be good to hear one without the onboard stepup just to see if they could be improved

Edited by Colin Rutter
Spelling mistake

13 minutes ago, Telecine said:

I have a Beogram 4000 and a 4002. The 4000 is a much rarer unit and much better engineered.

The 4000 is not better engineered it isjust different in that they found cost savings in production.

It uses the same fundamentals in both TT.

5 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

The 4000 is not better engineered it isjust different in that they found cost savings in production.

It uses the same fundamentals in both TT.

There are considerable differences in the quality of the two. For example, a considerable difference in platter weight which affects the sound. Yes, they found savings by changing the design but at the cost of performance.

On 16/07/2020 at 4:34 PM, wen said:

wife's vintage Rotel RP830 with SMM/E cartridge, originally bought from Encel in Bridge Rd Richmond early 80's, still fully functioning with the rest of her Rotel gear and Interdyn speakers

15948810943211925536458.jpg

1594881187757789071357.jpg

I remember when the RA820BX came out.

We sold heaps of them.

Great amps,turntables and tuners at the time and still good:thumb:

My apologies the 6000 is the cd4 version of the 4002 not a different model

No one would suggest any of the B&O TTs are top performers.

As a design icon they are legendary as hifi they are ordinary.

I have 8 vintage TTs I use regularly and whilst the B&O is pleasant enough it is not "high end" by any definition. IMHO.

1 hour ago, Colin Rutter said:

I have 8 vintage TTs I use regularly and whilst the B&O is pleasant enough it is not "high end" by any definition. IMHO.

I agree regarding the performance characteristics versus design. The 4000 is still the only turntable in the MOMA.

I have a number of vintage turntables that are better performers but none look better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin Rutter said:

All Good I also just sold a 1200 Beogram and am in the process of servicing a 1000 Beogram. I personally find these turntables pleasant to listen to and do agree they are not the top of the tree. But for functionality and e statics they are on their own.

Overall I enjoy the older 1960-1980 turn tables and have a few like Rotel, Sanyo (CEC), Phillips, Thorens and my favs Elac and JH!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Analog Revenge said:

All Good I also just sold a 1200 Beogram and am in the process of servicing a 1000 Beogram. I personally find these turntables pleasant to listen to and do agree they are not the top of the tree. But for functionality and e statics they are on their own.

Overall I enjoy the older 1960-1980 turn tables and have a few like Rotel, Sanyo (CEC), Phillips, Thorens and my favs Elac and JH!

IMG_20200722_123844327.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wimbo said:

I remember when the RA820BX came out.

We sold heaps of them.

Great amps,turntables and tuners at the time and still good:thumb:

The older Rotel branded Turntables were very good as inside.

They are the same as Micro Seiki, Sansui and Sanyo to name a few/

All these Brands were owned by Fuyi (CEC corporation)

Sanyo turntable.jpg

Edited by Analog Revenge
spelling
  • Like 1

My man cave has got a Dual 1237A that I recycled from an old Grundig RPC 3000. Its a fully automatic unit that sounds great to my ears. Ive put it in an old radiogram that sets it off.

My other TT in the lounge is a Denon DP1200. These things are rock solid units that will last several lifetimes.

I love old things, and while they may not be the best, they do satisfy these dulling ears and bring a smile whenever I use them.

20200722_141534.jpg

20200722_141554.jpg

20200722_141456.jpg

20200722_141651.jpg

Edited by glenm64
OCD made me reorder photos
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Another older turntable disc jockey tool of trade.

Amazing how good these can be when set up correctly and a half decent cartridge is installed correctly.

With the Potts and the slider the exact speed can be set. 

And by setting up the tonearm with the correct tolerances. It becomes a decent table for very little outlay.

IMG_20200722_173042371.jpg

• Like 2

On 21/07/2020 at 5:24 PM, mjs said:

This is a stock image, I haven't got one of the original unit, but I had a Beogram 4000 in the late 70's for a year or so. It was a beautiful piece of engineering. Not sure it was the greatest sounding turntable, but it was a joy to watch (and listen to)

beogram4000.jpg

Mind you, back in the day, I lost count of the number of turntables I put together for friends, generally JH or Silcron belt drives in a custom plinth and perspex cover, with some sort of arm and cartridge, including the JH arm

Edited by mjs
  • Like 1

I do have a JH TT with the Fluid Tone arm that I acquired fitted on the. First edition wooden base JH.

Just recently mounted it on the much later JH which is much more substantial.

It produces a high-quality sound with its original cartridge and from my observation original stylus.

IMG_20200717_132629208.jpg

• Like 1

Here it is still on the first edition JH turntable.

It sounded fine but now on the second edition it realy is a better combination.

I will preserve the original one and try to get an other JH arm for it to keep it going.

So little early Aussie Turntables still survive , so it is to be preserved 

JH unipivot arm on first edition JH    TT.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Analog Revenge said:

Another older turntable disc jockey tool of trade.

Amazing how good these can be when set up correctly and a half decent cartridge is installed correctly.

With the Potts and the slider the exact speed can be set. 

And by setting up the tonearm with the correct tolerances. It becomes a decent table for very little outlay.

IMG_20200722_173042371.jpg

This much maligned BST 116 is now being sold as a Audio Technica! Internally it is exactly the same and even the plastic bits ate just so similar in design and execution!

I worked on both and it is just strange that BST 116 is frowned upon and Audio Technica is seen as fine!

Never mind, If you are in a position to grab one of these for a song, consider having a go at it and you might be surprised!

Just for the (Christmas lights) alone it is a blast to see it in action!

This what I like about Turntables, They are in terms Musical instruments like Guitars and violins!

17 hours ago, Analog Revenge said:

Here it is still on the first edition JH turntable.

It sounded fine but now on the second edition it realy is a better combination.

I will preserve the original one and try to get an other JH arm for it to keep it going.

So little early Aussie Turntables still survive , so it is to be preserved 

JH unipivot arm on first edition JH    TT.jpg

I found the JHs and to a lesser extent the Silcrons were too prone to feedback because of the light weight platter and no isolation from the base/plinth.

The pin bearing was not a good fit on the half a dozen I put together back in the 60s.

It had way to much clearance (slop).

I found the silicon damped unipivot would take to long to stabilise after it was moved.

But they produced music which is what they were for.

If only it had been beefed up a bit like a connisseur BDx

43 minutes ago, sjay said:

124 MK2 with SME 3009 is my fav by far. It just sounds right and I love the clutch on it.

Very nice! 

Here is my 124 mk2 with SME 3012.

IMG20200724080821.thumb.jpg.84bd68e0a5467220f914f2a188f9de96.jpg

I agree there is something very right about how these sound... 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, mkaramazov said:

Great to see the vintage linear tracking decks in this thread! While we are on the topic... 

My old Harman Kardon ST7:

post-107035-0-94697100-1432444680_thumb.jpg.49fee0c2b411ba4cdf082bc5c985dae3.jpg

And my current Yamaha PX3, playing in context with some classic gear:

st2.thumb.JPG.05843c54c96d916d3a73f15474dc76f3.jpeg.b1004cca042add53d50aa00273cbf694.jpeg

I rebuilt a couple of the Rabco HK TTs about 20 years ago and gave one to a then young fellow.

It still is tracking beautifully (they have to be perfectly level) and his children are enjoying vinyl.

Good memories

Easily the best performing table I have ever run is this vintage Victor TT-Y5 semi auto servo arm table. Dead stable speed, and the best tracking I've ever experienced even beating out my Fidelity Research FR-14 tonearm. It's currently away for a recap and getting RCA connectors installed in place of the stock cable.

20200519_205240.thumb.jpg.fed2bec97b9cd56c7a165cbe4890204b.jpg

Aesthetically not in the best shape but it's performance is easily the best I've experienced. Pictured here with Tchaikovsky  :)

• Like 1