Analog Revenge

Your Favourite vintage Turntable and, please, some details

We all like the new Turntables that are recently been coming onto the market albeit at a considerable price point in most cases.

We all enjoy the resurgence of the mechanical instrument called the record player / Turntable

So for some of us who have enjoyed the roaring 1970ish and early 19naughties  and...

The people who were but a sparke in the eyes. 

Please do post some pictures of your these classics you had, have and still enjoying.

If possible some information regarding the subjects.

I start it off .....

Photo 1; Elac Miracord 610

Photo 2; Transcription Fluid turntable, Tone arm and accessories

In many a view these were the major step forward in the design and engineering of the turntable as a musical reproduction instrument of the master file embedded in vinyls medium

Photo 3; Sanyo TP700SA  One of the more mechanical complex engineered Turntable.

Has options from full manual to full auto and same side auto repeat. 

Elac 610.jpg

2 of the first prototypes David Gammon made!.jpg

Sanyo turntable.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here is my contribution.

The Technics SP10mk2 and EPA100 currently sporting a Stanton 881s, the SP10 on the right has a Technics EPC205mk2. All 1970-80's vintage, and still amazing performers.

P_20200629_142503.jpg

Edited by Warren Jones

Heres one of my old Turntables. Circa 1984.

Ariston RD40 with Linn LVX plus and Glanz GMC10EX Cartridge.

85.jpg.79e445350a43d5c183cd08bee0e44f43.jpg.ed1c71abdd457f5a7da796eadc305c78.jpg

Interesting speakers, Missions by any chance?

I am sure you are going to get replies about some lovely high-end tables, but let me praise a mid-market design that has stood the test of the years.  Garrard has used the basic mechanism behind this one in many many of it's models.  The one pictured below is an AT6.   

They even used in in their budget slimline tables.  The arms varied, but the basic changer mechanism remained them same.  This is a good thing, because it is a design that I can nearly always guarantee to be able to get working with a minimum of cleanup and relube.   Often even the idler wheels are still serviceable.      The arms can even work with magnetic cartridges.  The one below has an AT91B cart in it.  The AT6 arm even had a detachable headshell and counterbalance weight for VTF (as opposed to the spring mechanism used in cheaper ones)  Some models come with the "laboratory" motor.

They are a fine reliable mechanism.

at6.jpg.3e8d22f0cc73714a0f29024e2d770fa1.jpg

Yes Sir

I have one of a similar producer who let other companies rebadged them

And just like the Elac pictured above always going to play.

Even some of my friends who do have serious HiFi gear like the sound that comes from the wheeldriven Elac.

IMG_20200715_131201254.jpg

Posted (edited)

A couple of my TTs

IMG20200625164000.jpg

IMG20200625164017.jpgThorens TD150 Syrinx Arm Amber (Grado) Cartridge

Orpueus Silex Lusre 150D tonearm

Shure V15 IV catridge

Edited by Colin Rutter
More stuff

Posted (edited)

Idler drive:

Garrard 401, Fidelity Research 64s and EMT 997 banana arm.  One of the best TT and IMHO very few modern belt drive come close.

love to see some pics of commonwealth, better still if anyone using Neumann?

18C42758-35C2-4D66-B159-2242F56B1EB2.jpeg.48d1bbc2ea12bce74e7b22be2bf0769c.jpeg

Edited by denimhunter

The Source (Odyssey) . 

Wonderful bespoke 1980's turntable from Scotland, it outperformed the LP12 and many contemporaries.  Belt-drive suspension design, with a massive brass platter.

[Not a photo of my Source, I have an Alphason arm]

source+wilson+benesch.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Analog Revenge said:

Interesting speakers, Missions by any chance?

Wharfedale 508's. Very good speaker for the money. Had a pair of 708's and Marantz original LS50's too at the time😉

Edited by Wimbo

Posted (edited)

I'm loving my Hitachi PS-38 (late 70's) but don't really have anything to compare it to accept alternative sources in my chain

i lucked out and got my hands on my father in-law's that essentially hadn't been spun since the 80's and prior to that was mostly used to record onto tap

it came with an early re-badged AT VM8 cart which stares the same stylus as the AT10 thru to the AT13 units so its simple enough to move off the stock conical to square nudes or even Shibatas 

the DD looks to have been progressive for the time - https://www.petervis.com/gallery/Vintage Advertisements/hitachi-hi-fi-1979/unitorque-motor.html

i come across a few threads and was able to chat with others about 'back in the day' improvements and hacks etc. including packing out he guts with nearly 2kg of modelling clay and dampening the underside of the aluminium platter with several coats of spray on rubber. 

the speed adjust pots are known for being fickle but respond to non-residue electronic cleaner. after 40-odd years the simple feet could do with replacing but there's nothing readily out there. I think it would respond to a tone-arm upgrade but its effective length at 220mm is not well represented. 

while nothing flash I've progressed thru carts and phono stages to now have an Ortofon Bronze and Graham Slee  Gram Amp SE + PSU1 and at every tweak include matts are noticeable enough, and I don't feel the TT itself is holding things back.

ACtC-3davgG3cbjNioYu6-DSognGcIxWCbwwn_4C4VJ4Xlmp2HF3abgTUBDdaXv2E6k19SOiOpZDLJm4gIZN6rMS4xhWw-bU-ImQ89ORtd9X-GR_cPxcIJNN-oBLVNWn5lzEAt_moDUFwhGXJ3JD5DNUNkpo=w1134-h757-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3cDDxpVTtcLarjazBaAaL0gOQEG-NQGzYvch6Y7IfqA319BISHOizDFKl2vjUsTqcqv1Ff8R_tK1WhpdEnrA1RYChj367GFxIQLSub1uFG5YNVTBXrFOCSrFDCnY_o7Tn3YliQb_sftUnCzrUqnfF66=w1010-h757-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3dmk-CirU1GgRIrhSmn_GVw6SBktFl-NxuBusmTdRw9Efy8CnEBt8z2y8PezMrwfdqa88rr1n0dl5xjAVSbGJ8IrdBRp8hpR9ZjpVhDYgQFBmKeUDVIVsyq9J4ZHsTHJL0iL680nzNIbKKOe_JgbUmI=w1010-h757-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3cqfVXIFbgcGBNwy6N_7YP1ZxYKFAl_AapjfxkbOmYuNu6H14eYMIIVlWRzONq4CwJG6Q7L2xl1MikQvQ8NRh6fYYqVo-lVGRDSVL2_yur3dJMf6yQJCaDxNIR1yVIs_h9ULK4t5jhGnIfenwkv-DuT=w1010-h757-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3cPnM7P6dITGnKiYVu922la1Ua8SXwNQV5ep5f2wPtl8Ts1EKrIvU71luz61yQxQswAzbfQ6YLhvvkoyMLPd0Sn3mar31rdyyB7KMYVISkRTjsnxeYh14v0CqC0uEwlft5W1rim6UsAyL7fRH7AnNuq=w1010-h757-no?authuser=0

Edited by wasabijim

In my office I currently run a late 1070s Technics Direct Drive SL-1100AC with an Acos-Lustre tonearm (and Garrott Brothers K1 cartridge).  I wanted to try a direct drive turntable and to match in with my tube amplifier and office.  It is great. 

This replaced a 1978 Rega Planar 2 with Linn Basik LVV tonearm and Denon DL110 cartridge which is now in service at my sister and brother-in-law’s place. 

Both acquired secondhand from SNA members in excellent transactions and freighted to Darwin without incident. 

56B5BAE3-B751-4629-9BFF-188772084F2C.jpeg

80C71EBA-3EF4-4A19-81A6-6091357EE404.jpeg

12 hours ago, wasabijim said:

the speed adjust pots are known for being fickle but respond to non-residue electronic cleaner.

That's for sure.  I found I always had to tweak mine each time I used it,  so not only were the pots touchy when trying to set the speed, the seemed to vary day to day, so you couldn't set it once, then just leave them alone.  Maybe the control circuit is voltage or temperature sensitive. 

Anyway, yours is looking so good I really have to put mine back together.  I removed the tonearm for use in another project, but I think I'll just clean it up and put it back.

1976 Rega Planar 2, Moth 202 arm, Ortofon Quintet cartridge, Tango Spinner sub platter, underslung Michelle Techno weight, sitting on a slate tile with silicone inbetween, whites vibration absorbing pads, on custom steel sand filled frame with leveling screws. Turntable originally bought off ebay for $150.

1594864211791175932078.jpg

wife's vintage Rotel RP830 with SMM/E cartridge, originally bought from Encel in Bridge Rd Richmond early 80's, still fully functioning with the rest of her Rotel gear and Interdyn speakers

15948810943211925536458.jpg

1594881187757789071357.jpg

I just repaired one of these! 

Had a checking session with it and liked it

The Jelco Arm is what makes it!

Has the Linn 3 point plinth on it so fits straight onto a Linn or any other deck that is equipped with this!

On 14/07/2020 at 9:54 PM, Analog Revenge said:

We all like the new Turntables that are recently been coming onto the market albeit at a considerable price point in most cases.

We all enjoy the resurgence of the mechanical instrument called the record player / Turntable

So for some of us who have enjoyed the roaring 1970ish and early 19naughties  and...

The people who were but a sparke in the eyes. 

Please do post some pictures of your these classics you had, have and still enjoying.

If possible some information regarding the subjects.

I start it off .....

Photo 1; Elac Miracord 610

Photo 2; Transcription Fluid turntable, Tone arm and accessories

In many a view these were the major step forward in the design and engineering of the turntable as a musical reproduction instrument of the master file embedded in vinyls medium

Photo 3; Sanyo TP700SA  One of the more mechanical complex engineered Turntable.

Has options from full manual to full auto and same side auto repeat. 

Elac 610.jpg

2 of the first prototypes David Gammon made!.jpg

Sanyo turntable.jpg

A few more one JH with the train fluid arm and a nice Garrant Zero 100 SB. 

2 real vintage classics

IMG_20200717_132629208.jpg

I managed to find a one owner Pink Triangle Anniversary turntable fitted with a SME 5 arm, it came with it's out board power supply, all tools, boxes and manuals including for the arm. I would put this table up against any modern turntable available today and it would give them a run.

P7230012s.jpg

Some members will doubtless recognise  that I have already referred to this turntable elsewhere before in a parallel thread(s), but to flesh out the full story - My baby, a Goldmund Studietto, was once the premium demo turntable at The Soundcraftsmen in their relocated late 80's shop in Lower Mitcham in Adelaide's inner southern suburbs. I worked nearby and frequently called into the store on my way home, eventually becoming great friends with the owners Paul and Mark Bayly. When they made the decision to upgrade to the bigger brother Goldmund Studio, they organised a ridiculous "mates rates" deal on the thing that I still shake my head at. It was an extremely hi-end product that they virtually gave away to me. When my house fell victim to burglars in 1993, the larger part of my audio system (and many other items) disappeared - Metaxas amps, Nytech components, B&W speakers, Nakamichi tape decks etc etc. They left this, because it was presumably too cumbersome to carry to the furniture truck (really). To my knowledge, it has always been accompanied by the excellent Souther SLA3 linear tonearm. (Please don't be perturbed by the very loosely placed cable tie which is insurance against unbridled spousal elevation of the tonearm.) The unit was extensively overhauled and modified several years ago by John Matheson, who amongst other things, replaced the fussy and ultra-funky slinky-spring suspension with sorbothane hemispheres and built a bespoke power supply. He also set up the current resident cartridge - a Dynavector DV20X2L. All three components are having their say to create my soundstage, but to my ears the synergy is seamless. 20200717_152603.thumb.jpg.d16632154b7662e7314ab8612bb2ebb9.jpgGoldmund certainly conquered the vagaries of direct drive to produce a beast capable of effortlessly detailed musicality, transparency and stunningly real dynamics. This classic is destined to be a lifelong companion.

20200717_152851.jpg

This is my Pioneer PL-340. I resurrected this after nearly 30 years of storage. Got a new cartridge, then got it rewired by SNA's Lovetube/Goldenage Audio.

Works a peach.🎶

DSC_0725.JPG.0319e270608d8ef356c8ad1c99e9cbb0.JPG

The pioneer turntables of the early editions are the ones that are very sought after.

Very well build and go for ever!

This is a stock image, I haven't got one of the original unit, but I had a Beogram 4000 in the late 70's for a year or so. It was a beautiful piece of engineering. Not sure it was the greatest sounding turntable, but it was a joy to watch (and listen to)

beogram4000.jpg

Posted (edited)

DUAL 1219 Idler TT. Works great and sounds good enough for me. 

DUAL 1219.JPG

Edited by Spider27

7 hours ago, mjs said:

This is a stock image, I haven't got one of the original unit, but I had a Beogram 4000 in the late 70's for a year or so. It was a beautiful piece of engineering. Not sure it was the greatest sounding turntable, but it was a joy to watch (and listen to)

beogram4000.jpg

I have a 4002 and I agree they are not the greatest TT but they look good

Maybe the stepup amp that is in built is.the problem?

They are reasonably easy to rebuild which surprised me with all the auto stuff

They sell for at least $1000 which I think is way too much for the SQ you get.

DA6BFEFD-8F23-46CC-84CB-5D4BCE3132CB_1_105_c.jpeg.f703f49f9cb738514cf19c7fa2359bfc.jpeg