Free-standing bass traps

With an unconventional listening space and unequal corner angles, I've been searching for a free-standing bass trap. 

In America I found the perfect solution, a panel supported by a steel floor stand (link is below pic).

I'm wondering if there's anything similar local.

GIK-Acoustics-4-inch-FreeStand-Bass-Trap.jpg.3ea2b95f6331755847753ea2f0dac481.jpg

Free-stand

Edited by was_a

If you could get a metal shop to make up some feet like those with two upright plates for something like Martini XHD100 (in black) to slot in that might work well.

Something like the footers on this partition.

Freestanding-Partition_Smoke.jpg.7d1024153a04afe099353fb617af6bc5.jpg

• Administrator

There's many DIY options that can be put together on a budget. For me, there were no solutions that were effective at anything under around 80Hz. 

My problem area is 59Hz, so I had to search wider. After some misses on a few products, I bit the bullet and went with the pro solution with MSR Springtraps from USA.

They are not cheap by any means, but you will also see there's a lot more to them than any of the DIY options.

Needless to say, they will never leave my room and gave me a stunning bass response, sans the boomy peaks I had.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Marc said:

There's many DIY options that can be put together on a budget. For me, there were no solutions that were effective at anything under around 80Hz. 

My problem area is 59Hz, so I had to search wider. After some misses on a few products, I bit the bullet and went with the pro solution with MSR Springtraps from USA.

They are not cheap by any means, but you will also see there's a lot more to them than any of the DIY options.

Needless to say, they will never leave my room and gave me a stunning bass response, sans the boomy peaks I had.

I'd like to investigate the MSR traps further so could you please point me in the right direction on how to order (approx price would be great as well)

• Like 1

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

I'd like to investigate the MSR traps further so could you please point me in the right direction on how to order (approx price would be great as well)

Will get back to you (just asked Distributor where they can be purchased and today's price - I bought mine 4-5 years ago now).

• Like 1

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Stump said:

Wheels are a good idea. Mine have a option of absorb and reflect. 
3F143766-311C-4DD6-9353-103A6866E995.thumb.jpeg.0ad5986e7d6c38e9467f1f590e63110f.jpeg

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Solid-wood-movable-acoustic-baffle-for_60564063741.html

That's a great option for freestanding acoustic panels (more show exhibitors should use these) for absorption and diffusion. Bass traps they are not though. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

+1

• Administrator

Arghhh, now I look silly. The manufacturer has not produced Spring Traps for ~ 2 years now. That's all I know.
What a shame! They are that good it would almost be worth reproducing some locally for someone motivated and skilled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chri5tian said:

These bass traps built by Tom Tom Acoustic in Melbourne stack nicely.

They look just like the absorber panels I built. Mine are 100mm Martini HD, framed with a 50mm air gap towards the wall. How do these work? Are they actually bass traps?

5 minutes ago, Steffen said:

They look just like the absorber panels I built. Mine are 100mm Martini HD, framed with a 50mm air gap towards the wall. How do these work? Are they actually bass traps?

Hey Steffen.

They are 1222x598x200mm with a 50mm air gap.

Not sure what kind in insulation he uses but the website says it’s 48kg/m3 with absorption down to 100Hz.

https://tomtomacoustics.com.au/products/p200-t

46 minutes ago, caminperth said:

These look pretty good, is anyone bringing these into Australia?

33 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Was about to ask the same question

I first seen these at a Hifi show. The company Soundbox Acoustic representative have been to Australia a couple of times looking to set up a dealer. There showroom is a one stop shop for everything Acoustic Treatment. I purchased X4 for myself with the intention of  lending them out for trial in Adelaide.Price wise I was stung by shipping broker charges and didn't find any interest. If they ever get a dealer in Australia I would completely re due my HIFI room.. ?

Edited by Stump

• Administrator

The only way to be viable is to bring in a full container at once really. That's the problem with all these acoustic solutions manufacturers. Shipping a few items erodes the low price that is attractive in the first place.

• Like 1