Faulty channel with Elektra Theatron Amp

Thanks man for the suggestion. I'm not quite there yet but yes that is an avenue to be explored at some point if nothing changes. However if I start getting too confrontational involving official complaints then I fear I might not see my Elektra until 2021 if I go down that route which would be a disaster for me.

I don't believe Arthur is actively scamming me as we have had constructive conversations early in the piece and he's been fairly reasonable about costs assuming he's being genuine, which I do. But I just can't get him to make me any kind of priority right now so I just needed to vent here a little so I appreciate your reply.

But yes if he keeps ignoring me as a customer then I will have to look at other options like perhaps Fair Trading although I'm really hoping to avoid that if possible

Anyway another member here has very kindly messaged me to see if they can give Arthur a nudge in my direction so we'll see if that works. ?

Sorry to hear that the manufacturer is ignoring you, must be very frustrating.

And bad for their reputation.

I'd be going to Fair Trading and let them ask the relevant questions,

Hope your buyer is as patient as you have been.

• Like 1

I’m an understanding person but if all he needs to do is put it back in a box, seal it up and get a courier to organise, then quite frankly, I don’t see how this is taking as long as it has.

‘Let’s hope it gets back here sooner rather than later and more importantly is fixed properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

I’m an understanding person but if all he needs to do is put it back in a box, seal it up and get a courier to organise, then quite frankly, I don’t see how this is taking as long as it has.

‘Let’s hope it gets back here sooner rather than later and more importantly is fixed properly.

Cheers Mark!

It's good to hear from you as it's been a while. I actually have been selling off a bit of surplus hi-fi gear lately including a Yamaha 2600 I believe I may have bought from you many years ago?? Still going great guns and the new owner is very happy with it. Never had many problems with Yamaha or Marantz products touch wood.

Yeah it's been driving me a little crazy but someone here at Stereo.net seems to have a personal connection with Arthur. He very kindly said he would contact him tomorrow on my behalf so hopefully that can get the matter moving along. My main worry is trying to get this unit to my buyer asap as he's already waited way longer for this than he should've imo. He's also been waiting on it to be serviced since July like me.

Glenn

Edited by Felix..
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, deblur said:

Sorry to hear that the manufacturer is ignoring you, must be very frustrating.

And bad for their reputation.

I'd be going to Fair Trading and let them ask the relevant questions,

Hope your buyer is as patient as you have been.

Thanks for the vote of support deblur. I'm feeling a little better about the situation than I did earlier today but yes if nothing's happened in a couple more weeks then I think I will have to lodge a formal complaint. I really don't want to have to do that but by the same token I can't be expected to wait forever to get my property returned.

Edited by Felix..
  • Like 1

Fair Trading will be a far more stressful process.  People advise it as though it's an online lodgment of a complaint and they sort it all out.  The truth is far from that. 

I'm not making excuses for Arthur, but I'm aware he's inundated with work on behalf of a well known manufacturer that was unexpected, and this has blown out resource/time estimations. 

Hopefully you get your amp back soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Fair Trading will be a far more stressful process.  People advise it as though it's an online lodgment of a complaint and they sort it all out.  The truth is far from that. 

I'm not making excuses for Arthur, but I'm aware he's inundated with work on behalf of a well known manufacturer that was unexpected, and this has blown out resource/time estimations. 

Hopefully you get your amp back soon.

I agree Kaynin. I actually lodged an ACCC complaint a few years back on something completely unrelated to home theatre and it was a slow and painful process. So I really want to avoid any kind of formal complaint at this time. But as the months keep dragging on am I just meant to wait around for whenever Arthur can get to it - perhaps 2021? It's coming up on nearly 6mths for Interface above and I'm already up to 4mths. 

I realise it's a small operation but surely he has someone else to delegate at least some of the basic tasks to, like invoicing, shipping and other administrative duties. Even if he doesn't it's probably a half hour job, maybe an hour tops, to simply invoice me and arrange a courier, if he truly has to do all that stuff himself. Surely he could find that time in all these weeks?? I really don't think I'm being unreasonable am I?

Edited by Felix..

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

This was not the case for me. It was as simple as an online lodgement of a complaint and then a couple of emails, when I needed assistance with an Australian HiFi manufacturer who decided his best plan was to ignore my communication. 

Once the vendor decides not to reply to emails and palms you off during phone calls with “promises” what does the vendor seriously expect you to do? 

So unexpected work from a “well known” manufacturer trumps @Interfaceand @Felix.. repairs, which just have to be boxed, invoiced and dispatched?That’s a pretty sad look for Elektra. 

2 hours ago, Interface said:

Just received communication from Arthur. Amp will be sent today.

Good news. 

4 minutes ago, Felix.. said:

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable.

You are not being unreasonable. 

Personally, once the emails stopped being replied to,  I would have made the complaint. You are not a second class customer, regardless if Elektra want to treat you like one. 

its not so easy in Vic compared to the rest of the country i guess. no one knows how the guy is holding up and i am guessing he isn't 30 any more?

as for using your consumer rights, why people bag the process is beyond me. go over seas and see what you get.. zippo. friends from some countries i know cant believe we even get a refund/exchange/repair in the first 12months on most things. let alone have rights after the manufacturers warranty expires so stop complaining please or one day we will lose the rights.

as for using them if you are not going to follow though to a small claims court then thats your problem, they are quite easy and interesting to attend really.

nothing against o.p. in all this. i too would have done the same and waited due to the guys reputation and standing in the audio community. unlike some mobs out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

Personally, once the emails stopped being replied to,  I would have made the complaint. You are not a second class customer, regardless if Elektra want to treat you like one.

You are aware that Elektra is a one-person operation? I'm glad I don't have to deal with you on a professional level...

• Like 1

Anyway crisis averted guys! ☺️

Arthur just called me to say he's shipping my unit out pronto and I do actually believe him this time. Said he would send me a tracking notification shortly along with an invoice of costs. On the few times he's called me on his own volition something has usually happened and the matter has progressed. It's only been the many times I've contacted him to get a status update on where things are at that he's either stonewalled me, stalled or not even replied.

It's really handy having a forum like this where you can get a lot of input and suggestions on how to handle a problem like this so I really appreciate all the replies.

I especially appreciate the member who has a personal connection with Arthur who PM'd me yesterday to say he would contact Arthur this morning to try and get things moving along. That appears to have had the desired effect and I'm truly grateful and relieved about that.

My interests have somewhat moved on from home theatre as interests tend to do as one's life changes so that's the only reason I don't really post here anymore. But it's great to know there's a resource here when needed so I will try to contribute more when and where I can, as I'd hate to see this place die out like DTV Forum did. It seems like it's still a passionate and helpful community with a lot of knowledgeable folk so hopefully this place can go on for decades to come.

Cheers!

Edited by Felix..
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

You are aware that Elektra is a one-person operation? 

Yes  I am aware. 

34 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I'm glad I don't have to deal with you on a professional level...

Well if you believe that ignoring emails and being put on the back burner when all that is required is to box, invoice and send is acceptable then ditto. 

25 minutes ago, Felix.. said:

Anyway crisis averted guys! ☺️

Arthur just called me to say he's shipping my unit out pronto and I do actually believe him this time. Said he would send me a tracking notification shortly along with an invoice of costs. On the few times he's called me on his own volition something has usually happened and the matter has progressed. It's only been the many times I've contacted him to get a status update on where things are at that he's either stonewalled me, stalled or not even replied.

Great news!  

2 hours ago, Felix.. said:

I agree Kaynin. I actually lodged an ACCC complaint a few years back on something completely unrelated to home theatre and it was a slow and painful process. 

You’re not wrong mate, better to avoid this where possible.  We have strong laws covering consumers, but the process is ridiculous.

• Like 1

This is absolutely a storm in a tea cup. He’s had the amp since early September. I don't know where you guys get your hi fi repaired but 7 weeks hardly seems grounds for legal proceedings to me in normal times never mind in pandemic. 
In case people haven’t noticed Victoria has been in hard lockdown with many businesses closed down completely. We haven’t been able to get a bloody haircut for the past 4 months, never mind get an amp repaired. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Felix.. said:

Received the TNT tracking notification now. Will get the Elektra back on Nov 2nd.

I'm pleased to hear that you amp is on the way and your sale can be finalised.

For balance, it is probably worth making a few observations. Victoria has been in hard lockdown with people only permitted to leave their homes for essential reasons. Only permitted workers have been allowed to go to work. Many businesses have been shut.

So on the first day out of hard lockdown, when some business premises have been permitted to open and there has been some lifting of the restricted reasons for leaving your home, the amp was sent to you.

We all need to be a little patient and understanding in the current climate. Things are rather different in Perth and Brisbane compared to Melbourne.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Telecine said:

So on the first day out of hard lockdown, when some business premises have been permitted to open there has been some lifting of the restricted reasons for leaving your home, the amp was sent to you.

We all need to be a little patient and understanding in the current climate. Things are rather different in Perth and Brisbane compared to Melbourne.

Yes a good perspective to take ; while not exactly equating with Felix concerns I bought a pana uhd player from Clef hifi about 3 months ago ;and it was only delivered a week or so ago ;Aus post delivery times have exacerbated problems  with state lockdowns etc I hope Felix gets his amp in a reasonable time frame :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

This is absolutely a storm in a tea cup. He’s had the amp since early September. I don't know where you guys get your hi fi repaired but 7 weeks hardly seems grounds for legal proceedings to me in normal times never mind in pandemic. 
In case people haven’t noticed Victoria has been in hard lockdown with many businesses closed down completely. We haven’t been able to get a bloody haircut for the past 4 months, never mind get an amp repaired. 

I tend to agree with you Russ.

Last year made the big mistake of taking my amplifier to a well known repairer with a bad reputation for being slow or even not relinquishing items left with him.

It took best part of the year to extract it from him, (unrepaired),after a concerted campaign of repeated contacting and visiting him.

Sent it onto Caxton Audio in QLD and had it back very quickly. 

Felix's case is pretty mild in the scheme of things.

Arthur and his Elektra amps have a fantastic reputation, and why I'm a proud owner of his Theatron amplifier. 

• Like 4