Jump to content

Felix..

Faulty channel with Elektra Theatron Amp

Recommended Posts

Hi guys

 

I have an Elektra Theatron 7.1 channel amp which I purchased as part of a group buy on DTV forum back in around 2008. However one of the 7 channels failed some time ago (2013?). It didn't bother me at the time as I only have a 5.1 set-up so I just switched over to one of the other un-used channels.

 

However I'm now looking at selling the amp and it would obviously have much more re-sale value if all 7 channels were fully working. I'm not even sure whether its an input or output problem or with the actual amplification itself. The only symptom is that I get no sound whatsoever from that particular channel.

 

So is there anyone who is familiar with this amp who might like to speculate on what the issue could be, or would like to offer any advice? I live in Perth so on the other side of the country to its original manufacture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can offer some strong advice here. Get the amp serviced by Arthur Rappos himself before selling.
I had the same model amp from the same era, purchased second hand of the forums here. 

I bought it with the knowledge that like yours, one channel was not working and it did not concern me for my application.

 

Some months later, I had left the system on while I had gone into another room of the house, only for the house to fill with smoke. The amp had caught fire. 

Upon opening it up, it was obvious the cause was the faulty module for that channel. The amp was well beyond repair by this point.

 

The point of the story - a channel not working indicates a fault that can potentially get worse. I underestimated the seriousness of that which could have had far more serious consequences.

 

Send it back to the manufacturer for the necessary repairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok many thanks for posting this Marc.

 

I will contact Arthur and see what he says. But if it's going to lead to costly repairs and a hefty freight bill shipping it back to VIC I may as well take it to my local dump then.

 

Cheers

 

Glenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthur is a very fair guy in regards to repair bills, and he doesn't like his gear not up to par. Freight will be the issue to deal with. I've got a Theatron which has been flawless for many years but I have had a 2ch pre amp repaired and he fixed the issue in under a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, blybo said:

Arthur is a very fair guy

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Felix.. said:

I may as well take it to my local dump then.

That might be the only option unfortunately. Speak to Arthur first though.

If you do dump it, please cut the power leads or disable it some other way.


I know our local tip has a habit of filling their shop with items that were thrown out for a reason that might not be so obvious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all of the replies. I've called Arthur and he said he will get me a discounted rate on freight. He also asked for some snaps of the internals (as attached).

 

I couldn't see anything out or order to my untrained eye such as obvious physical damage, disconnected wiring etc.

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

Edited by Felix..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you get it sorted Felix.

 

Been a long time since we had our speaker shootout in your living room! Your name came up in an email exchange with Lyle from DTV Forum about a year ago. I'll tap him on the shoulder and let him know that you've popped your head up in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


18 minutes ago, Mining Man said:

Lyle from DTV Forum 

Now that's a blast from the past!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Mining Man said:

Hope you get it sorted Felix.

 

Been a long time since we had our speaker shootout in your living room! Your name came up in an email exchange with Lyle from DTV Forum about a year ago. I'll tap him on the shoulder and let him know that you've popped your head up in here.

Great to hear from you Mining Man! Geez I can barely remember that but then again my memory aint that flash to begin.

 

Those were the days with epic arguments over Blu-ray v HD DVD and all those tremendous group buys that were organised on DTV Forum. Seems a previous lifetime to me nowadays. 😔

Edited by Felix..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good to see you around felix.... been some years ! ps do hope have some joy with the elektra, should no reason can't be easily sorted to go on for many more years ..... :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Felix.. said:

Thanks for all of the replies. I've called Arthur and he said he will get me a discounted rate on freight. He also asked for some snaps of the internals (as attached).

 

I couldn't see anything out or order to my untrained eye such as obvious physical damage, disconnected wiring etc.

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

It is a modular design, should be easily sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


45 minutes ago, betty boop said:

good to see you around felix.... been some years ! ps do hope have some joy with the elektra, should no reason can't be easily sorted to go on for many more years ..... :) 

Cheers Alebonau. I recognise that avatar! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it’s related to a speaker relay contact getting dirty, I use to own that model prior to upgrading to the HD2.

 

JDH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

Sometimes it’s related to a speaker relay contact getting dirty, I use to own that model prior to upgrading to the HD2.

 

JDH

yes i believe arthur routinely upgrades these older gen to gold contact relays he uses on the later HD series models....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yes i believe arthur routinely upgrades these older gen to gold contact relays he uses on the later HD series models....

I also owned an original Elektra Reference that had the issue with the speaker relays, I sent the amp from Sydney to Melbourne to have it serviced, while it was there Elektra Audio  installed  a 12V trigger, it wasn’t standard on the older models. Again the upgrade bug got to me and a few years later I sold my original Elektra Reference for a new Elektra HD Reference.

 

The speaker relay issue I raised generally only resulted in sound dropping out, usually only on one channel, the way the original post reads, it sounds more like the entire amp module is dead. Like others have indicated, best to have it shipped to Melbourne if you want it repaired properly.

 

JDH

Edited by jdh500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, Felix.. said:

Thanks for all of the replies. I've called Arthur and he said he will get me a discounted rate on freight. He also asked for some snaps of the internals (as attached).

Hi Felix ; can see why its worth getting fixed looking at the size of the toroid ;  some current available to control your speaker load there :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Felix.. said:

Great to hear from you Mining Man! Geez I can barely remember that but then again my memory aint that flash to begin.

 

Those were the days with epic arguments over Blu-ray v HD DVD and all those tremendous group buys that were organised on DTV Forum. Seems a previous lifetime to me nowadays. 😔

I remember lugging my Paradigms to your place as part of a comparison between your Marantz / Elektra combo and Lyle's Denon / Elektra combo. My speakers actually spent a few weeks at Lyle's while I was looking for a place to live.

 

I also vaguely recall we'd almost crossed paths previously with a common employer. Normandy rings a bell for some reason...

 

 

Sounds impressive, but I'm buggered if I can remember important stuff, like birthdays and anniversaries etc. 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cwt said:

Hi Felix ; can see why its worth getting fixed looking at the size of the toroid ;  some current available to control your speaker load there :)  

Yeah it drives my Monitor Audio GS60s beautifully! No complaints whatsoever. And as I only have a modest 5.1 set-up and nothing fancy that single channel problem really wasn't an issue for me.

 

But now it's time to sell as I recently upgraded my receiver to a new Denon model (after my Onkyo prepro gave up the ghost due to the dreaded HDMI board issue!) and am happy enough with the amplification the Denon provides. I wanted HDCP 2.3 so it was time to upgrade the receiver anyway.

 

Another Perth member seems very interested in the ET (along with a couple others) so it's great to know it will be going to a good home where it will be fully appreciated and I won't have to tolerate low-ball offers on Gumtree. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mining Man said:

I remember lugging my Paradigms to your place as part of a comparison between your Marantz / Elektra combo and Lyle's Denon / Elektra combo. My speakers actually spent a few weeks at Lyle's while I was looking for a place to live.

 

I also vaguely recall we'd almost crossed paths previously with a common employer. Normandy rings a bell for some reason...

 

 

Sounds impressive, but I'm buggered if I can remember important stuff, like birthdays and anniversaries etc. 😂

 

Now it's all coming back!

 

Yep remember your Paradigms. Damn I really liked that Marantz receiver and can't even remember why I sold it. Probably because I thought I needed some new you beaut feature the Onkyo PR-SC5508 provided. Wish I kept that Marantz as the Onkyo prepro gave me nothing but trouble.

 

Yes again correct re: Normandy. Was FIFO at Big Bell gold mine for 3yrs in the mid 90s.

Edited by Felix..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Felix.. said:

Wish I kept that Marantz as the Onkyo prepro gave me nothing but trouble.

I had a similar buyers regrets with my Onkyo prepro, I purchased it new and turned it over and resold in in under 12 months. An early model Emotiva prepro also purchased new was sold in under 3 months.  Certain  brands just don’t work for me, currently using a Marantz for over 2 years and previously a long run with various Rotel Prepros for 12 to 14 years.
 

The brand I used continuously the longest is Elektra Audio amps, 18 years now, also used Benchmark DAC’s, Bel Canto for 2ch, and logitech Squeezebox Music streamers for 15 years. Other brands have come and gone.

 

JDH

Edited by jdh500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jdh500 said:

I had a similar buyers regrets with my Onkyo prepro, I purchased it new and turned it over and resold in in under 12 months. An early model Emotiva prepro also purchased new was sold in under 3 months.  Certain  brands just don’t work for me, currently using a Marantz for over 2 years and previously a long run with various Rotel Prepros for 12 to 14 years.

Yeah the HDMI board on the Onkyo died on me not once but twice! The first time it was covered under warranty. Onkyo/Integra did at least extend their warranty for this repair as soooooo many of their models suffered from this manufacturing/design f-up. But the second time it died it was past even this extended period and I couldn't be bothered forking out $700 to fix up that pile of rubbish.  😆

 

I did see a youtube DIY guide on how to perform the replacement on another Onkyo model to mine which seemed relatively straight forward:

 

 

But obtaining the precise part here in Australia seems pretty much impossible and of course Amber Tech won't sell you the part, you have to take it into one of their affiliated service centres. 🙄

 

I also had a Pioneer receiver that died on me within a couple of weeks from purchase, again a HDMI problem. Thankfully I was able to send that straight back at zero cost under ebay's rather generous buyer protection policy and get an immediate full refund. 

 

Touch wood I've never had a problem with a Yamaha, Marantz or Denon product, although of course no brand is perfect - there will always be a certain % with defects.

 

However it's going to be hard for me to forget about my Onkyo experience and regain my trust enough to buy anymore of their garbage ever again!

Edited by Felix..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2020 at 11:19 AM, Felix.. said:

Hi guys

 

I have an Elektra Theatron 7.1 channel amp which I purchased as part of a group buy on DTV forum back in around 2008. However one of the 7 channels failed some time ago (2013?). It didn't bother me at the time as I only have a 5.1 set-up so I just switched over to one of the other un-used channels.

 

However I'm now looking at selling the amp and it would obviously have much more re-sale value if all 7 channels were fully working. I'm not even sure whether its an input or output problem or with the actual amplification itself. The only symptom is that I get no sound whatsoever from that particular channel.

 

So is there anyone who is familiar with this amp who might like to speculate on what the issue could be, or would like to offer any advice? I live in Perth so on the other side of the country to its original manufacture.

Hi Felix

 

I had a problem with my Elektra a couple of years ago and sent it back to Arthur and he fixed it in good time.

 

I think I paid the shipping one way and he paid it the other.

Can't remember for sure.

If my memory is right it was not that expensive

 

Contact Arthur and he will advise you

 

As MM said I tried to contact you a year or two back but your email address bounced.

Mine is still the same if you want to contact me

 

50mxe20

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...