SOLD: FS: Audion Silver Knight S.E.T. monoblocks

SOLD
Item Condition: Very good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Canterbury 3126
State: Victoria
Payment Method: Cash on pickup, EFT
Reason for selling: Downsizing

I am listing these gorgeous amplifiers on behalf of a friend who is downsizing. All contact and questions will be directed to the owner. Upon completion of the sale a donation will be made to StereoNET. The gentleman who owns these mono block amplifiers also has an Audio Research SP11 and a mint pair of Quad ESL 57, with original boxes, that have been fully refurbed by John Hall. Ads for those items to follow...

These monoblocks have been treated with kit gloves by the owner and not that long ago had Dallas Clarke refurb the units. One of the photos shows the innards of the amp and the work that Dallas did. So it's working perfectly... And the valves were replaced when the work was done and have had very little use, so close to new valves.

These power amps use the well known 300B tubes. This amplifier is hand built and point to point hard wired. Wherever possible the components are sourced from Europe and the USA and avoiding inferior Chinese components. This triode based mono-block amp uses no (zero) feedback in the design. The chassis cover is a gorgeous mirror finish brass plate.

These amps are the Single Ended Triode version ie SET class A

The amps had the following work done:

1. New electrical transformers (see pic with the 'B' letter). Bought in France from Audion factory. $900

2. Internal picture shows some of the parts that were replaced in both units. At least $1000,

3. Both units have new brass plates. $ 1200

4. Come with Full Music tubes $800

The Audion monos are in pristine condition, internally and externally.  

Dallas can attest to the work he has done on both.

The amplifiers come with specially made power cords 2m long costing $400 each.

No original boxes for the amps but have box for the valves. Prefer local sale, but will consider dropping off to Pack N Send for them to box up and transport at buyers expense and risk.

Ad now has additional photos supplied by the owner.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item
  • If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved
  • If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

01Audion.jpg

02Audion.jpg

03Audiom.jpg

04Audion.jpg

05Audion.jpg

06Audion.jpg

Resized_2.jpg

front4.jpg

front3.jpg

front2.jpg

front1.jpg

Edited by Max Headroom
Additional photos
  • Like 2

Unbelievably good amplifiers. 18 Watts of Parallel Single Ended 300B glory. These amplifiers rewrote the rules of production amplifiers when released. They will power lots of speakers, the difference between 18 Watts of PSE and 8 Watts of SET has to be heard. They are the original Audion finish and beautiful in the flesh. If you have the right speakers, these are the right amps. 

Passive pots so you can dispense with a preamp should you choose. If I had the cash they would be sold already. 

A little history on the Audion Silver Nights. These would most probably date from the mid nineties. The earliest Silver Nights had both the power on and volume knob on the front fascia, offset to each side and mirror matched to their partnering monoblock. The earliest examples were built in 1992. Later models with the gold finish moved the power switch to the rear and volume knob to the centre. 

Audion was formed by Erik Andersson after he left Audio Innovations in 1886 and joined forces with David  Chessel. Erik was the brains of Audio Innovations, P.Q. was his business partner who went on to run  Audio Note UK. Audio Innovations were responsible for reintroducing the affordable valve amplifier to the English market, the mid eighties were a dire time for lovers of tube amps, choices were limited and prices were high.

The reintroduction of the production 300B by Golden Dragon in 1992 resulted in Audion developing the Silver Night PSE Monoblocks. 18 Watts of bliss.  They caused quite a stir in the world of Audio at the time.  A more pure version, 9 Watts of SET , the Golden Nights became available soon after.

I had the pleasure of owning the Silver Nights for over 10 years and listening extensively to the Golden Nights. With extremely efficient speakers the Golden Nights are incredible but for most speakers, including Klipsch Corner Horns, the Silver Nights reign supreme. They will drive a wide range of speakers with a dense, sweet, fast , detailed layered portrait.

Rolling the input valve has a marked impact on the personality of the amplifiers. Bugle Boys will result in lush tones whilst Telefunkens will give a faster , taughter sound, tune to your requirements.

Absolute High End had the distribution rights at the time. The first pair in Australia were displayed, auditioned at the (second?) Absolute High End hifi show in Melbourne in the early ‘90’s. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Thanks @Ooogh fantastic bit of history there. I've been told by others whose opinion I respect that these amps are really something special. I really should try to hear them before my friend sells them.

If you have speakers to suit and the funds to afford you should buy them!

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

@Ooogh My speakers are sensitivity of 90db. Not sure they are efficient enough...

I'm running a very similar design (300b pse) on 89db Jamos at the moment and it goes more than hard enough.. May be not rock concert levels but I've never run out of power. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 13/07/2020 at 8:21 PM, Ooogh said:

A little history on the Audion Silver Nights. These would most probably date from the mid nineties. The earliest Silver Nights had both the power on and volume knob on the front fascia, offset to each side and mirror matched to their partnering monoblock. The earliest examples were built in 1992. Later models with the gold finish moved the power switch to the rear and volume knob to the centre. 

Audion was formed by Erik Andersson after he left Audio Innovations in 1886 and joined forces with David  Chessel. Erik was the brains of Audio Innovations, P.Q. was his business partner who went on to run  Audio Note UK. Audio Innovations were responsible for reintroducing the affordable valve amplifier to the English market, the mid eighties were a dire time for lovers of tube amps, choices were limited and prices were high.

The reintroduction of the production 300B by Golden Dragon in 1992 resulted in Audion developing the Silver Night PSE Monoblocks. 18 Watts of bliss.  They caused quite a stir in the world of Audio at the time.  A more pure version, 9 Watts of SET , the Golden Nights became available soon after.

I had the pleasure of owning the Silver Nights for over 10 years and listening extensively to the Golden Nights. With extremely efficient speakers the Golden Nights are incredible but for most speakers, including Klipsch Corner Horns, the Silver Nights reign supreme. They will drive a wide range of speakers with a dense, sweet, fast , detailed layered portrait.

Rolling the input valve has a marked impact on the personality of the amplifiers. Bugle Boys will result in lush tones whilst Telefunkens will give a faster , taughter sound, tune to your requirements.

Absolute High End had the distribution rights at the time. The first pair in Australia were displayed, auditioned at the (second?) Absolute High End hifi show in Melbourne in the early ‘90’s. 

Great history lesson. Thank you! I’ve had my Silver Nights from the mid 90’s, never had them modified and they’re still going strong.

CFBF6A48-F5F5-4F05-A1D8-1F8E73F9140F.jpeg

45B7C05D-1CD3-4F48-83F4-5ED7AD559556.jpeg

Edited by Analysis
  • Like 4

On 13/07/2020 at 8:43 PM, Max Headroom said:

@Ooogh My speakers are sensitivity of 90db. Not sure they are efficient enough...

I use the the later Anniversary version of these at 18wpc with Quad ESL57s. The 57s has very complex impedance characteristics And about 86/87 dB sensitivity. The result is magic. Last year when John Hall came over for a listen he  commented that It was the best he’s heard from 57s.

So, if anyone  out there with 57s, go for it!

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 4:47 PM, Max Headroom said:

Jsut for the people who are wondering or who have asked, these are the SET - Single  Ended Triode version of the amp

That pair looks very much like the parallel single ended version (18wpc) rather than the single ended version (8wpc). maybe worthwhile a crossCheck.