Item Condition: Very good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Canterbury 3126
State: Victoria
Payment Method: Cash on pickup, EFT
Reason for selling: Downsizing

I am listing this legendary pre amplifier on behalf of a friend who is downsizing. All contact and questions will be directed to the owner. Upon completion of the sale a donation will be made to StereoNET. The gentleman who owns this pre-amp also has a pair Audion Silver Knight monoblocs and a mint pair of Quad ESL 57, with original boxes, that have been fully refurbed by John Hall. Ads for those items to follow...

I've actually never seen this legendary pre-amp before, so to see my friends SP11 was a delight. He has treated the amplifier with kit gloves and not that long ago had Dallas Clarke refurb the unit. In the last photo you can see some of the parts that Dallas replaced. So it's working perfectly... And the valves were replaced when the work was done and have had very little use, so close to new valves.

In 1985 the SP-11 was one of the most complex and sophisticated preamplifiers ever released. Built in two full-size rack-mount boxes with triple-regulated power supplies and three or four active devices (a 6DJ8 triode, a power MOSFET and one or two JFETs) in each amplifying stage. The pre-amp has a phono stage that is still considered as a superb stage for vinyl enthusiasts.

Included is a set of wooden equipment supports - which are made of rosewood or ebony (owner wasnt sure).

To quote some more experienced people...

https://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/audio-research-sp-11-preamplifier/

"I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Kessler that a mint SP-11 is not at all out of place in a modern system today...

In the context of a six-figure system, the SP-11 holds its own with the REF 5 SE and REF Phono 2 SE that I use as daily reference units.  Granted, the newer models offer up more frequency extension, dynamic slam, and a bit more inner detail, but the vintage pre is so damn good in every way, I could easily live with an SP-11 and ignore what I’m missing.  A little help from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio resulted in a great set of NOS tubes, taking my SP-11 to an even higher level.

And the phonostage is fantastic.  As more and more rack space seems requisite these days, it’s wonderful to revisit this concept of a great linestage and phono stage all in one chassis, much to the chagrin of the wire barons.  I defy you to find anything this good built new today for anywhere near this price."

And from the legendary J. Gordon Holt of Stereophile fame...

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/898/index.html

"The Audio Research SP-11 is an incredible preamplifier, very probably the best preamp that any amount of money can buy today. If it does not sound as musical on some loudspeakers currently in my house than some other preamps I have, I am willing to blame that on the loudspeakers and look for other ones. And I don't usually make that kind of excuse for any product. This calibre of sound quality is what high-end audio is all about!—J. Gordon Holt"

The owner has boxes (not original) that can be used for sending by courier at buyers expense, but would prefer a local sale due to the rareness of this superb pre-amplifier.

Photos:

01SP11.jpg

02SP11.jpg

03SP11.jpg

04SP11.jpg

05SP11.jpg

• Like 4
On 12/07/2020 at 8:55 PM, Max Headroom said:
Price: $5500
Item Condition: Very good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Canterbury 3126
State: Victoria
Payment Method: Cash on pickup, EFT
Reason for selling: Downsizing

I am listing this legendary pre amplifier on behalf of a friend who is downsizing. All contact and questions will be directed to the owner. Upon completion of the sale a donation will be made to StereoNET. The gentleman who owns this pre-amp also has a pair Audion Silver Knight monoblocs and a mint pair of Quad ESL 57, with original boxes, that have been fully refurbed by John Hall. Ads for those items to follow...

I've actually never seen this legendary pre-amp before, so to see my friends SP11 was a delight. He has treated the amplifier with kit gloves and not that long ago had Dallas Clarke refurb the unit. In the last photo you can see some of the parts that Dallas replaced. So it's working perfectly... And the valves were replaced when the work was done and have had very little use, so close to new valves.

In 1985 the SP-11 was one of the most complex and sophisticated preamplifiers ever released. Built in two full-size rack-mount boxes with triple-regulated power supplies and three or four active devices (a 6DJ8 triode, a power MOSFET and one or two JFETs) in each amplifying stage. The pre-amp has a phono stage that is still considered as a superb stage for vinyl enthusiasts.

Included is a set of wooden equipment supports - which are made of rosewood or ebony (owner wasnt sure).

To quote some more experienced people...

https://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/audio-research-sp-11-preamplifier/

"I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Kessler that a mint SP-11 is not at all out of place in a modern system today...

In the context of a six-figure system, the SP-11 holds its own with the REF 5 SE and REF Phono 2 SE that I use as daily reference units.  Granted, the newer models offer up more frequency extension, dynamic slam, and a bit more inner detail, but the vintage pre is so damn good in every way, I could easily live with an SP-11 and ignore what I’m missing.  A little help from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio resulted in a great set of NOS tubes, taking my SP-11 to an even higher level.

And the phonostage is fantastic.  As more and more rack space seems requisite these days, it’s wonderful to revisit this concept of a great linestage and phono stage all in one chassis, much to the chagrin of the wire barons.  I defy you to find anything this good built new today for anywhere near this price."

And from the legendary J. Gordon Holt of Stereophile fame...

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/898/index.html

"The Audio Research SP-11 is an incredible preamplifier, very probably the best preamp that any amount of money can buy today. If it does not sound as musical on some loudspeakers currently in my house than some other preamps I have, I am willing to blame that on the loudspeakers and look for other ones. And I don't usually make that kind of excuse for any product. This calibre of sound quality is what high-end audio is all about!—J. Gordon Holt"

The owner has boxes (not original) that can be used for sending by courier at buyers expense, but would prefer a local sale due to the rareness of this superb pre-amplifier.

Photos:

01SP11.jpg

02SP11.jpg

03SP11.jpg

04SP11.jpg

05SP11.jpg

Hi Max ,

Can I have your contact details please ?

Chris