MrRogers

Record puck recommendation

What is your record puck recommendation?

This is a very interesting one.

http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct_1.html

https://www.analogueseduction.net/record-clamps/shun-mook-record-clamp.html

https://www.thecableco.com/shun-mook-lp-record-clamp.html

"For 25 years or so we’ve tested record clamp designs (both ours and 3rd parties) and never come across a clamp which was worthwhile to use. Then one year we were sharing a room at the indulgence show with the importer of Shun Mook and he introduced us to their record clamp. To my astonishment this actually worked and enhanced everything in the music with no downside. The only problem was that it cost £2000." https://www.analogueseduction.net/record-clamps/OLVTAweight.html

The subject of Record clamps has been done previously and is an oxymoron.

What is your recommendation?

Looks a bit like my Lignum Vitae puck made by the late Duc, (all 421gms of it).

I use it as a paper weight.

20200712_150915_HDR~2.jpg

Ha!- the good old Mooks --yes well I've owned a couple below-- honestly can't say I found a great sonic improvement  in my time but if it improves the synergy with your

setup fine--I just wanted to give them a go -- I do use the Super Diamond Footers from the Company though--those I like.

With regards to the plethora of clamps /etc out there--well pick ya poison--I'm yet to be won over on their attributes--but try yourself by all means:)!

You must be the judge

Willco

Mook 1.jpg

I use a reflex clamp similar to the Mitchel except mine is DIY. With an acrylic mat a clamp is mandatory. There is an audible difference over the stock Technics rubber mat. The other advantage is the reflex clamp flattens mild warps.

I use the Pro Ject Record Puck myself

Record Weight 1[1].pdf

Don't know if you can open this, but mine is based on it.

@MrRogers here's one to consider...a 45 adaptor (for use on those 7" singles with crazzeey big holes) but also for providing moderate stability on regular to lighter weight LPs.  Weighs 130gm so should be spindle friendly on most tt (users to determine/decide for themselves) 😎

IMG_4532.JPG

I bought a cheap record weight from eBay to try.  I'm not sure how the materials would affect the sound, I would think it would be more about the diameter in contact with the label and the total weight of it. 

@Air Raid Records, mate as we discussed this evening, this thread might also provide some ideas and options.  

I prefer weights to clamps myself.

5 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

What do you find is the difference? I have a weight but am considering a clamp. 

22 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Can I ask why.

I have both and the clamp easily wins. Clamp is a Mitchel style (DIY) reflex so it also flattens warps.

P_20200502_124423.jpg

P_20200530_160828.jpg

A must for my table.

thumbnail_IMG_6553.jpg.9cbce0531b822397172c1d4f66671cdd.jpg

@Warren Jones @punkterfuge I bought the Pro Ject puck initially for my Debut Carbon, and the Music Hall came with it's screw down clamp, and I found it annoying to screw on/off every time and it's not heavy at all. I believe the Pro Ject puck weighs in at about 750g, so it's pretty hefty and I'm sure it would do the same job flattening a warped record as a clamp would. Sonically couldn't hear a difference, it's more of a convenience thing for me.

55 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

@Warren Jones @punkterfuge I bought the Pro Ject puck initially for my Debut Carbon, and the Music Hall came with it's screw down clamp, and I found it annoying to screw on/off every time and it's not heavy at all. I believe the Pro Ject puck weighs in at about 750g, so it's pretty hefty and I'm sure it would do the same job flattening a warped record as a clamp would. Sonically couldn't hear a difference, it's more of a convenience thing for me.

There are different types of clamps, I agree flat bottom screw down are probably pointless. My weight is 500g and does nothing for warps on the flip side.

If you look at the bottom of my clamp in the pic it has a lip around the edge and an aluminium collet. I put an O ring under the LP and the clamp holds the LP flat to the platter.

Here is a demo of how it works

On 15/07/2020 at 9:54 PM, audiofeline said:

I bought a cheap record weight from eBay to try.  I'm not sure how the materials would affect the sound, I would think it would be more about the diameter in contact with the label and the total weight of it. 

Material and weight both play a part. Materials in particular add a sound signature.  Try using one with damping material and one with metal (stainless steel) and hear the difference.
I tried HRS, Harmonix, Duc’s ebony and various others. It is possible to adjust tonality in a minor way (esp in more sensitive system).

Nowadays only use record weight to better hold down a warped record.

4 hours ago, denimhunter said:

Material and weight both play a part. Materials in particular add a sound signature.  Try using one with damping material and one with metal (stainless steel) and hear the difference.
I tried HRS, Harmonix, Duc’s ebony and various others. It is possible to adjust tonality in a minor way (esp in more sensitive system)...

Fair comment.