Pioneer Kuro standby light blinking

Hi all,

I have a Pioneer Kuro PDP-C509a.  I have recently had an issue where there are two vertical lines on the screen. 

So, me being me, I did some google investigation and decided to see if there were any loose connections in the back of the TV.

I powered off the TV and unplugged the power lead .  Laid the TV face down on a thick blanket and removed the back cover.  I reseated a couple of the flat connecters in the back, and decided to see if that had made any difference to the vertical lines.

I sat the TV on a chair and powered it up without putting the rear cover back on the TV.

It powers up briefly, and then shuts down with the red standby light blinking 8 times.  

After further google investigations I believe that it could be either the 'trap switch' needs to reset, or the power card has shorted.  I can see a red light flashing on one of the boards in the back of the TV.

I guess I should have left it alone and put up with the vertical lines..........

Anyone have any idea of how to get in the service menu on the 9th Gen kuro so I can try to rest the trape switch?  I can find the instructions for the previous generations, but not the 9th.

In saying that if I can't get past the blinking standby light can I actually get into the service menu?

TIA

Jeff.

I haven't had any experience with this, but looking over on AVS you need to put the back cover on then to reset:

1. Press the display button then release the display button.
2. Wait between 3 and 7 seconds
3. Press and release the <, ^, <, >, and power buttons in sequence.

Panel will now turn on in service mode.
4. Press muting button 3, 4 or 5 times depending on model you are working on.
Until the display shows the initialize page.
5. Press and hold the display button until the error indicator (red LED) on
either the panel or the media receiver goes out.
6. Exit service mode by pressing the power button on the remote.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I haven't had any experience with this, but looking over on AVS you need to put the back cover on then to reset:

Thanks quark,

I did also find that on the same forum.  My remote does not have a display button ( or at least not one that I  know as the display button).  I'll have a read of my manual and confirm the remote layout.

41 minutes ago, Jeffwbrown said:

Thanks quark,

I did also find that on the same forum.  My remote does not have a display button ( or at least not one that I  know as the display button).  I'll have a read of my manual and confirm the remote layout.

Try the Info button instead.

Thanks for the ideas. I've tried those instructions a few times today without any success.  

Does anyone know where the trap/tamper switch is/looks like?

Tia

Thanks for the additional info and suggestions.  

I pulled the rear panel off the TV on Sunday, and was not able to find the TRAP switch, and was still unable to get to the service menu.

As we have one of my partner's grandchildren with us today I was cordially (not) asked to put the TV out of his reach.  So, put it all put it all together, some last night, and finished it off this morning.

The only thing I did differently last night was that I rechecked the 2 flat connectors that I re-seated.  One seemed to be a bit out of skew so I re-seated it again last night......still didn't work at that point.

Come this morning, finished screwing the rear panel on. Did one more power check...............................the f'ing thing stayed on.  Remounted it in the cabinet. Connected it up properly.......and it works!

Vertical lines are still there, but at this point I don't care.

Thanks for your assistance Quark and Telecine.

Edited by Jeffwbrown
  • Like 4

On 11/07/2020 at 6:35 PM, Quark said:

Just as an FYI for anyone else wanting to put their Gen 9 Kuro into service mode.  The above instructions didn't work for me.  Tried a few times now that the blinking standby light issue is resolved.

J.

Edited by Jeffwbrown
idiot behind keyboard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffwbrown said:

Just as an FYI for anyone else wanting to put their Gen 9 Kuro into service mode.  The above instructions work for me.  Tried a few times now that the blinking standby light issue is resolved.

J.

Did you use the Info button instead of the non-existent "Display" button?

17 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Did you use the Info button instead of the non-existent "Display" button?

Just realised that I left out a key word in my above update.  The word being "didn't" 

yes, used the info button.  

1. Press the display info button then release the display button.

When I push the power button....the TV drops into standby

Edited by Jeffwbrown
  • Like 2

It’s a tricky sequence getting into a kuro service menu

a 1/3 rd of a second too fast or too late and the whole sequence goes to shitt

in the old days it would take me 3 or 4 goes to get the timing right

if you have a harmony/Logitech universal remote you can email Logitech the hex codes (which are freely available ) that’ll get you into 8th and 9th generation kuros service menus with 1 push of a button

that remote I carry with me on eBay or gumtree sales when I see a kuro advertised as “hardly used “

• Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 9:33 PM, Kdjjdk Will said:

It’s a tricky sequence getting into a kuro service menu

a 1/3 rd of a second too fast or too late and the whole sequence goes to shitt

in the old days it would take me 3 or 4 goes to get the timing right

if you have a harmony/Logitech universal remote you can email Logitech the hex codes (which are freely available ) that’ll get you into 8th and 9th generation kuros service menus with 1 push of a button

that remote I carry with me on eBay or gumtree sales when I see a kuro advertised as “hardly used “

Thanks kdjjdk.  I'll give the harmony hex codes a go.