Break/Burn in. Is it Real?

Opinions do differ, experiences do differ, systems do differ, not everyone has a good aural memory and not everyone has good hearing.

No one can argue with what one person hears.

A point less discussion like a lot of subjects related to audio.

Edited by Ihearmusic

Electrolytic caps have a burn in time, was either Nelson Pass or Allen Wright said about Silmic ll's....... 100 hours.

From my personal experience this applies even to resistors to some degree.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ihearmusic said:

Opinions do differ, experiences do differ, systems do differ, not everyone has a good aural memory and not everyone has good hearing.

No one can argue with what one person hears.

A point less discussion like most subjects related to audio.

I agree with the first two sentences, but I strongly disagree with the last sentence. if not for audio discussion, I think this forum would be greatly diminished.

May I ask............if most audio discussions are pointless why are you here?

No offence intended at all.

Edited by rantan

1 minute ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

In my opinion I already did 

Not if what you said here:

7 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Nope, you've got it right

is correct.  :lol:

Andy

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I’m not surprised that people disagree with me. 
What does surprise me is that people are reacting as if no one has ever said it before. 

Must be the quote of the year, we could all learn from  ?

40 minutes ago, was_a said:

I find that statement arrogant and insulting to anyone with ears, a brain and a memory longer than that of a goldfish...

I find that statement arrogant and insulting. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I’m not surprised that people disagree with me. 
What does surprise me is that people are reacting as if no one has ever said it before. 

Some people love to be outraged by comments that are different to their own opinion and make sure to make it clear you are not allowed to differ. Evil witches and wizards!!!! Lets start getting some logs!

• Like 1

If you turn on electronics and it doesn’t agree with you for whatever reason, move it on, no amount of “burn-in “. In hours Will fix it.   Whether it’s out of the box new or 2nd hand!   This is  why it’s so important to not take “reviews” as gospel,  Get it available so you see what it’s like in your rig,  what might be good for some speakers and room may not agree with other setups, that’s the unfortunate issue with this hobby.....  

And yes @sir sanders zingmore I agree with you,  Your brain adjusting to the product is very real,  so are some electronics that changes the delivery after a few hours because the the electronics are designed and adjusted for this temp Range and condition.... I’ve heard Valve amps really come alive after an hour or so,  not so much with solid states unless  It’s pure class A...    But when reps or manufacturers tell you it takes 50, 100, 400, 600hrs move on.  

• Like 4

I am out of here, as I can only see this thread going one way and I am never going to war again on topics like these. I know what works for me and that is my over riding reality and I am pretty sure there are no neurologists posting in this thread.

Have fun guys.

Edited by rantan

Warm up yes, burn in, not so much. At least no longer than the brain needs to adjust to a brand new amp. We’re talking solid state, right? Tubes do burn in (and out).

3 minutes ago, muon* said:

Actually, Goldfish memory capacity has be found to be way way longer than the popular now myth goes.

We should ask the goldfish members of this forum, alas they’re not here, because they can never remember their login credentials...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Warm up yes, burn in, not so much. At least no longer than the brain needs to adjust to a brand new amp. We’re talking solid state, right?

That is your belief and I can accept that :thumb:

3 minutes ago, muon* said:

That is your belief and I can accept that :thumb:

I wouldn’t even call it a belief, it doesn’t have the gravitas for that. It’s what I reckon, but I don’t worry about it, because I know the absorber panel shifting I have planned for tonight is going to be huuugely more impactful. And don’t get me started on the toe-in fine tuning.

I wonder why the almost inconsequential minutiae get all the air time on SNA, and the really big changes one can make for free are only ever mentioned in passing (and generally ignored).

• Like 2

Just now, Steffen said:

I wonder why the almost inconsequential minutiae get all the air time on SNA, and the really big changes one can make for free are only ever mentioned in passing (and generally ignored).

Because those things aren't debatable. That doesn't mean everyone's ignoring them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Warm up yes, burn in, not so much. At least no longer than the brain needs to adjust to a brand new amp. We’re talking solid state, right? Tubes do burn in (and out).

We should ask the goldfish members of this forum, alas they’re not here, because they can never remember their login credentials...

I am happy to assist, as best I can, any goldfish wanting to log in ?

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Because those things aren't debatable. That doesn't mean everyone's ignoring them.

They may not be fodder for arguments, but I find them worthy of discussion. Some of these things are not at all easy to do right, and worthy of exchange of ideas and experiences.

But I suppose people are attracted to controversy much more than to problem solving. A bit like our parliament – instead of trying solve the country’s issues both sides are mostly obsessed with proving the other side wrong.

8 minutes ago, Steffen said:

I wouldn’t even call it a belief, it doesn’t have the gravitas for that. It’s what I reckon, but I don’t worry about it, because I know the absorber panel shifting I have planned for tonight is going to be huuugely more impactful. And don’t get me started on the toe-in fine tuning.

An interesting study to conduct would be around......... why? some feel compelled to challenge others positions knowing that it leads nowhere except to thread locks? Why is it some people can't just be comfortable with their own view when another persons view differs from theirs?

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

just to be the contrary voice here (who me??). Any difference you hear in a sold-state amp after at most, a couple of hours is (IMHO) due to your brain getting used to the sound rather than the sound itself changing

I confirmed through my own testing this is not the case. 

• Like 1

I do believe there is such a thing as burn in with audio equipment, but I also believe that the brain adjusts to anything new or different in our sensory inputs over a period of time. How much of what one hears is due to equipment burn-in and how much is brain adjustment is probably debatable (which I don't intend to do), but I suspect both factors are at play.

A simple non-audio analogy might be spectacles. Every time I get a new pair everything looks a bit strange though them for a while, but after a fairly short period of time that feeling disappears, and everything looks natural again (especially so when switching to graduated lenses for the first time). Have the spectacles burned in? Well, perhaps there is some effect on the lens material from exposure to light, but it is seems obvious to me that in this case the brain has made some adjustments to adapt to a change in its visual sensory input in some way. I see no reason why the same thing wouldn't happen with auditory inputs.

• Like 2