SR6014 owners / experts, a question...

If an external amp is used for the front, centre, surround and surround back speakers, can the internal amps be used to power all four Dolby height channels?

I’ve poured through the manual and it isn’t mentioned specifically. Any time four Dolby heights are in play it mentions using pre out for two of them. 

Thing is, it has speaker terminals labelled height 1 and height 2. So surely there is a configuration where they can be used?

For what it's worth, I've got the SR6010 with 4 channels of external amps (front and surrounds), and the Marantz powering the 4 Atmos + Centre. During calibration there's lots of relays clicking as the sound switches between the 4 Atmos speakers, but once setup it works. 

1 hour ago, BenBenBen said:

For what it's worth, I've got the SR6010 with 4 channels of external amps (front and surrounds), and the Marantz powering the 4 Atmos + Centre. During calibration there's lots of relays clicking as the sound switches between the 4 Atmos speakers, but once setup it works. 

Do you have rear surrounds?

No rear surrounds. SR6010 is only 7ch with 9ch processing. This isn't explicitly stated in the manual but I set it to 9.1ch with the pre-out set to front and that gives me 4ch avr amplification for Atmos. 

I imagine that'd you'd set the SR6014 to 11.1Ch, pre-out to front and off you go (but unfortunately can't guarantee it). 

Do you already have the 6014, or is this a pre-purchase question? 

Pre-purchase. 

The thing I’m unsure about is if the AVR is told surround back speakers exist and are powered externally, can its internal amps power four Atmos. 

Something tells me that it surround back are included, whether powered internally or externally the AVR can only assign two amps to Atmos. Not four.  

Here's a screen grab from a youtube review of the SR6013. 11.1Ch Layout is 5 Ch + Surround Back + 4 Height Speakers.

In this example the pre-out is set to Front, meaning that the internal amps for the front are free to be used for other channels (i.e. Height 2). 

You're not the first to ask:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1JTVDPX8SZIIV/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

>Is it possible to use pre-outs for an external amplifier for the front l/c/r channels, and use sr6013 to power 4 surrounds + 4 atmos/height speakers?

>Hello,
Yes, the 6013 can support up to 9 powered channels and process up to 11 channels. In the Amp Assign you can set the Pre Out for Front which will disable the Front L/R amp channels. You cannot disable the Center amp channel, but you can just simply use the Center pre-out to accomplish what you want. At that point, you will have 8 open channels for the 4 Surrounds (SL, SR, SBL, SBR) and the 4 Height channels.

Thanks,
Marantz North America

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ben

Screenshot_20200712_113126_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

• Love 1