best closed headphones better than Sony Z1R 

Hi all

at the moment I have Sony Z1R  with Topping DX7s  ...   I am a bit bored with Sony Z1R and I want to try something else ...

I used to have the sennheiser hd800s  and I liked them very much , but they were not very usable  to me as it was very loud so I sold and bought Sony Z1R... 

I also tried sennheiser hd820s  but to me it was not like sennheiser hd800s... what do you think is the best for the close headphone better than Sony Z1R...also should I think about upgrading my Topping DX7s as well?

also on a separate matter, I dream to own FOCAL UTOPIA if that ever happen, what is the best DAC/AMP , my guess is using Topping DX7s is out of question ?

Thanks in advance

You have 3 options in full size 

Focal Stellia

ZMF Verite Closed

Fostex TH900 MK2 Sapphire

If IEM don't bother you, worlds your oyster. Thousand solid options.

DX7s is a good unit, may be part of your boring feeling though. Has no character at all.

I am so happy with MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R that all my cans and IEMs will be on sale. Except Oppo PM-3, Fostex TH-X00, Meze 99 Classic... Should be enough cans you reckon? :D

Tried Focals but they won't do it for me. I might be too much of a Sony fanboy, dunno... Will try Meze Empyrean next year at their HQ in Romania and if I like it will get a pair.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/07/2020 at 8:53 AM, sabloke said:

Replace the Topping unit with RME ADI-2 DAC and set the parametric EQ to suite your Z1R. You're welcome :)

Thanks , I did that...actually saw a good bargain for the RME ADI-2 Pro and bought it...so far so good,  it seems it has many many options and setting I should try though ...but even out of box, I enjoy the Z1R better ...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Glad to hear that! I use my RME every day with the in ears Z1Rs as the cans are at the office. Thinking about buying a Topping A90 amp to use with the RME DAC as, according to a few users, takes sound to another level. A balanced 4.4mm is also a welcome addition in that combo!

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 11:11 PM, 2Brix said:

Having heard both the K812 and K872, I can say that they shouldn't be assumed as interchangeable. 872s are heavier on bass and don't have the sparkle that make the 812s brilliant. Also, AKG support these days is horrendous/non-existent. Harmon and now Samsung have destroyed the company. I loved my K550s and always wanted to upgrade to a closed 812 type, but I had to give up on that dream.

I rock T5p Gen 2s and love them to bits. Awesome soundstage and you can hear everything. They're also crazy easy to drive, so needing to upgrade/replace DAP/DACs is kept to a minimum.

• Like 1

Ah that's disappointing to hear about AKG's support then especially with $erious dollar items.  I've only ever gone with budget cans (around $150) for commuting use and the AKGs i had were well built (for the price) and sounded/timed particularly well...and i'd thought that if i ever moved up the headphone food chain i'd have AKG's on my shortlist.

2 hours ago, zippi said:

why not try planars?

Once addicted to Z1R bass slam... Planars are nice, no doubt, but they don't hit down low like a potent DD can. And the Z1R is potent! :) 

On 06/08/2020 at 7:13 PM, sabloke said:

Once addicted to Z1R bass slam...

Not having heard Z1R's can't comment on their bass slam (although OP is clearly bored with them), however in my experience the bass slam of every planar mag cans was superior to the bass slam of the dynamic driver cans - in all the cases that I had  a chance to compare. YMMV. Any similarity with persons living or deceased is purely coincidental. Statements non binding. Yadda yadda yadda.....

DDs sound analog while planars are more detailed and sometimes analytical. I'm not saying one is better than the other. However, I would point out that there are not many examples of planars in top 10 basshead headphones list :D

as I said YMMV. Never have I heard of a top 10 basshead headphone list - I guess there is such a thing. Maybe I'm ignorant of it because I'm not a bass head and by the sounds of it - neither is the OP.

On 09/07/2020 at 11:14 PM, Mason Safari said:

I am a bit bored with Sony Z1R and I want to try something else ...

I know both techs have their uses and things they do best across the audible spectrum. Hence I have one of each - open back DD Sennies and closed back mag planar Audeze. Both get used depending on the genre/source type being listened to. Hence never boring. And getting used about 50/50. Best of both worlds IMO.

****Basshead Top 11 lists notwithstanding. YMMV.

****Plethora of other available headphone technologies/combinations thereof - notwithstanding.

Edited by zippi

• 3 months later...
On 04/08/2020 at 11:29 PM, Mason Safari said:

Thanks , I did that...actually saw a good bargain for the RME ADI-2 Pro and bought it...so far so good,  it seems it has many many options and setting I should try though ...but even out of box, I enjoy the Z1R better ...

Can you please tell me your impressions of the RME vs the DX7 with your Z1R?

I got to try the DX7 and liked what I heard but was considering a secondhand RME for not much more. 

** went with the RME

Edited by AK79
update

Fostex TH610 are a bargain and often overlooked because of th900mkll (which i can't stand) or tr-x00 (which you can't get new anymore)

They are very dynamic, lively, punchy sub bass without being bloated, and just fun.  Mildly u shapped though that description doesn't really do them justice.  They sound like a powerful dynamic natural sounding set of speakers in  a medium sized room..... on your head.  Nothing else ive tried compares to bio-cellulose drivers with the proper voice coil formers (like floor standing speakers have)  only very occasionally on a super bright mix you have to pull 2.5db out at 6k and I run +3.5db @ 60hz for just a little more kick impact on my RME ADI2 DAC.

TH610  are Very under rated cans.

They are under rated, but they also aren't some hidden gem. Cups are nice. Comfort is good. Build quality is acceptable.

They have a strong low end. Bit low on clarity overall, but also not too bad for the price.

Addicted to Audios crazy Elegia sell off at the same price point kind of made the TH610's value diminish off.

If they pop up used for under say $400, it's a decent can.

• 4 weeks later...