HDMI ARC Sound Issues

I have a sony KD65X8500C tv and have had HDMI ARC issues for quite some time.
i previously had a Yamaha RXV673 and Intermittantly the sound would cut out & the display would go crazy, almost as if a cable was being plugged/unplugged constantly.

switching off/on receiver/tv would fix it until it would then happen agsin a day later.

Ive now got a Marantz NR1510 receiver & a similar thing happens but worse. Intermittantly, it starts off with a light crackling sound/sound distortion & then lets out a tremendously loud beep. Again, turning tv/receiver off solves it until it happens again.

Aftee some research Im led to believe its HDMI. Ive tried multiple cables & it still does it. Even switched off some ARC features but it still does it. Im now using an optical cable as Im kinda forced to but dont really want to use it as its a pain having to switch power/channels etc independent to tv.

TV was bought in 2012, so Is it just a matter of older HDMI connections not being as reliable so Id need to get a new TV? Is it a cable or receiver thing? (Though Im less convinced its these last two).

Any suggestions?

Edited by Magookas

Guest DrSK
1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

Get an optical cable and stop using HDMI-CEC. 

Doesn't that drop you back to 2 channel only? 

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, DrSK said:

Doesn't that drop you back to 2 channel only? 

No, you should still get 5.1 output. The only thing that is effected is Disney Plus, for some reason they will not downscale to regular Dolby Digital from DD Plus, so in that case you would only get 2.0 output.

Edited by thathifiguy
Typo

2 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Get an optical cable and stop using HDMI-CEC. 

Yeah Im using optical, but its annoying to have to even do that & manually change inputs/power everything on individually. Plus optical is arguably lower quality.

is it a hdmi version thing though? Would a newer tv, and therefore upgraded ARC, solve the issue? Or do these problems still exist even with new tvs?

Guest thathifiguy
19 minutes ago, Magookas said:

Yeah Im using optical, but its annoying to have to even do that & manually change inputs/power everything on individually. Plus optical is arguably lower quality.

is it a hdmi version thing though? Would a newer tv, and therefore upgraded ARC, solve the issue? Or do these problems still exist even with new tvs?

HDMI-CEC has always been a clunky interface. In 13 years, I have never come across a HDMI-CEC linked system that doesn't have brain farts. And when they do, everything needs to be powered off, sometimes from the mains, to get back up and running.

Keep using the optical cable, get yourself a Logitech Harmony Remote and do away with the headaches.

An option could be the Sharc EARC Audio Converter from Then Audio in the USA which sells on Amazon US and enable ARC eARC for older AVRs.

https://thenaudio.com/

Amazon does not ship it to Australia. I contacted their customer service email: thenaudio@gmail.com and they (Jim) gave me a PayPal payment Link and tracked shipping. Mine should arrive soon and I will see if it works on my Sony OLED TV with my 2012 Denon receiver. 

Another option is HDFury however I understand they are more expensive. 

Edited by Huntsman

Guest DrSK
3 hours ago, Magookas said:

It sounds a bit odd even for HDMI. I've got a new TV and now created another problem. Won't communicate via ARC to my older unit. 

HDMI is a bit flaky overall. Gave up on a 3 zone AVR for other reasons but HDMI issues were an ongoing nightmare. Had to continually reboot and switch all devices in the 3 zones with HDMI on in a certain order determined by trial and error to get it all running.