Maiden speech

Greetings from Lockdown Mk 2!

To kick things off maybe I can get some advice on an imminent change of speakers driven (pardon pun) by an upcoming renovation and the revelation my speakers are "ugly and obtrusive."

Current setup has served me well for 20+ years so I'm not complaining about the opportunity to upgrade - it consists of:

Denon PRA-S10/ POA T2 amplification

Marantz CD 19 source

Nordost  Blue Heaven bi-wire speaker cable

And the outgoing speakers...
JMLAb Electra 905 (ghastly!) 

The brief is to find a compact bookshelf (<400mm height, preferably <360mm) probably with front or downward firing port and a demure cabinet, white would be acceptable...ha!   

Elac Vela is out because my BIL just purchased a pair...but you get the idea of budget...

I could probably get a KEF R3 of VAF I91 over line line size-wise...they will have to sit on a sideboard, sadly stands and floorstanders are ruled out completely.

Any advice would be most welcome.

TAB :)

Edited by F.Ciombola
  • Like 3

Welcome Mike. Have a look into the Dynaudio Zeo or Focus line of active speakers - they come in Black/White, and are active speakers with DSP which allows you to get rid of your amplifiers and DAC. So fewer number of components to manage. There are a couple of bookshelf models in both the lineups.

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Welcome Mike. Have a look into the Dynaudio Zeo or Focus line of active speakers - they come in Black/White, and are active speakers with DSP which allows you to get rid of your amplifiers and DAC. So fewer number of components to manage. There are a couple of bookshelf models in both the lineups.

Thanks Anand, the BIL and I auditioned the Focus 20 XDs against Devialet Phantom and the 20 XD was super fast and detailed....really impressive! I suppose the champagne Denons could become ornamental!

5 minutes ago, F.Ciombola said:

Thanks Anand, the BIL and I auditioned the Focus 20 XDs against Devialet Phantom and the 20 XD was super fast and detailed....really impressive! I suppose the champagne Denons could become ornamental!

Was it the standard Phantom or the Silver/Gold? A few on the forum use the Gold as a stereo pair (i.e two of them) and are very happy with it.

If you are open to buying used - a good deal here in the classifieds section.

Addicted to Audio also had some good discounts on a couple of Dynaudio Xeo models the last time I checked there.

Having moved to Active DSP speakers a couple of years ago after using separates for nearly a decade, I strongly support the 'less is more' approach of Active DSP speakers.

You can always try selling your amplifier in the classifieds here - otherwise will end up as an expensive 'paperweight'!

Good luck with the hunt......

• Like 1

@F.Ciombola your Denon PRA-S10 pre-amp looks pretty nice...i reckon "a keeper".   So either

a) keep your Denon POA T2 2-channel power amp (120W into 8 Ohm?) and go with the VAF i91......or i25 if budget can accommodate.  Maybe VAF can do a white finish on request if that's a deal clincher.

b) move the POA T2 on (might be harder as a standalone item) and carefully demo powered speakers.

Personally i reckon the i90 or i25 would outgun powered speakers at that price point.  

Cheers

2B

Edited by 2Brix

54 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

@F.Ciombola your Denon PRA-S10 pre-amp looks pretty nice...i reckon "a keeper".   So either

a) keep your Denon POA T2 2-channel power amp (120W into 8 Ohm?) and go with the VAF i91......or i25 if budget can accommodate.  Maybe VAF can do a white finish on request if that's a deal clincher.

b) move the POA T2 on (might be harder as a standalone item) and carefully demo powered speakers.

Personally i reckon the i90 or i25 would outgun powered speakers at that price point.  

Cheers

2B

Thanks 2B, the amps have been in tremendous service for a long time with no sign of giving up any time soon, touch wood, so I want to keep the transition as simple as possible in the first instance. What you suggest is kinda what I have in mind,  I also really like the idea of buying local hence VAF and yes they will do custom finish.  I was very close to buying a white pair of I66 ex-factory when I was in ADL by myself over summer for $6K...would have been tragic to bring them home and be told they can't stay, ha!

Ah... shame about the i66's...that sounded like a bargain!  Now i'm wondering whether they still do the Soundwall modules with the i91 coaxial drivers.  I remember being uber impressed by those years ago.  Having those mounted on the wall with hidden cabling (part of reno) and plain or custom fabric covers could be an option?  Then should have no issues with speaker vibes affecting your gear sitting on or in the sideboard.

2 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

Ah... shame about the i66's...that sounded like a bargain!  Now i'm wondering whether they still do the Soundwall modules with the i91 coaxial drivers.  I remember being uber impressed by those years ago.  Having those mounted on the wall with hidden cabling (part of reno) and plain or custom fabric covers could be an option?  Then should have no issues with speaker vibes affecting your gear sitting on or in the sideboard.

On the same page again....I showed the Soundwall concept to the Minister of the Interior and she couldn't quite wrap her head around (a) how it works or (b) why I'd be interested in what is ostensibly an art installation to everyone else, when I've been for so long proud to have everything on display front & center (including...ahem...a custom made Zuster furniture piece for twin decks and a mixer).  Times are a-changin'

• Like 1

If the OP is keen on buying speakers from local manufacturers, lots of options including Krix, VAF, Osborne, Adelaide speakers, Legend Acoustics, Duntech Audio, Lenehan Audio to name a few.

Check out this thread for a full list of Australian made speakers

• Like 1

Well, after a maiden speech like that, in the house of disrepentives, I can only hope you and your wallet are not mislead. One speaker I think you should audition is the Hulgich Nina. From all reports, Nick Hulgich is a really nice guy to deal with, and these speakers have piano white as one of the standard finishes.

Welcome to SNA, Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks Anand - it's possibly a quaint parochial sentiment of mine to buy local again and probably a legacy of growing up in Adelaide at a time when local marques VAF, Krix, Duntech, Sonique, Richter & Whatmough were being promoted in-store against the pop-magazine reviewed imports. I still have the 1994 Richter Dragons Mk 1 from my original setup...

• Like 1

Could even give the new Legend Tripos 3 way standmount some consideration. Would go well with your Denon gear.

Carlton Audio stock Legend. (I run some Kantu 9's off a Denon PMA2500.)

Still have brochures of that Denon gear from late 90's.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Well, after a maiden speech like that, in the house of disrepentives, I can only hope you and your wallet are not mislead. One speaker I think you should audition is the Hulgich Nina. From all reports, Nick Hulgich is a really nice guy to deal with, and these speakers have piano white as one of the standard finishes.

Welcome to SNA, Mike.

Stunning and yet another croweater making top-end speakers!