Sign in to follow this  
Stephen McNulty

Project Record Cleaners... have you got one?

Hi. 

I hope this is the right forum. 

I’m thinking of buying one but, before I commit, I wondered if anyone out there could help me with:-

— comparison with an Okki Nokki?

- likely results? I’m a crate digger - I like older records. I’m sometimes cleaning my needle halfway through a side (even after spin cleaning). 
- I have an RP3 with an Audio Technica tip end cartridge, feeding KEF LS50 Wireless air movers. 

many thanks

There's very few new in the country right now and some shops will take your money online without saying they can't send one.

(Ask me how l know).

6 hours ago, Stephen McNulty said:

I like older records. I’m sometimes cleaning my needle halfway through a side (even after spin cleaning). 

I have found this to be a problem recently and as It was happening with records I had recently cleaned with ultrasonic and vacuum so I reached the conclusion it must be static attracting the dust.

You only need a tiny amount of dust on the stylus tip to affect playback.

I tried anti an anti static brush but with not much improvement so I then went for a Zerostat gun and it really appears to make a difference.

As a test I rubbed the lid of my Turntable with a cloth to build up some static and then placed a small piece of paper on it and raised the lid, the paper stayed in position. Zap it with the gun and it falls to the floor.

Shop around for the best price ,about $125.

https://klappav.com.au/products/zerostat-3-anti-static-pistol-for-vinyl-records-cds-or-dvds

Zerostat 3 Anti Static Pistol For Vinyl Records CDs or DVDs

I've got a Project VC-S MK 1, though I haven't tried the Okki Nokki. The VC-S works great for me. I've run some pretty grimy looking records through it, and it comes out looking like new (aside from the scratches, but what can you do). I've attached before and after pictures of a particularly dirty record I cleaned the other day. There were still some crackles in playback but I assume that's from the scratches. 

I've seen some YT videos of people using the machine, and only do one or two revolutions under suction and then they're done. You can do this if you like, but they're surely not dry after two revolutions. Most of the liquid is definitely gone after two revolutions, but if you view the surface closely with a light reflecting onto it, you'll see that grooves are still 'streaky' from moisture. I'd say it takes around 30 seconds to properly dry it.

The downside to me is the noise. I'm not sure how much noise other vacuum-based cleaners make, but I find it almost intolerable. Maybe a bit louder than most domestic vacuum cleaners, and you're hearing it from an arm's length away. Not a pleasant experience, and definitely not something you'll want to use while someone is sleeping in the house.

Also, for some reason the motor in mine makes a terrible grinding/crunching sound when on. Not a loud noise, and it's pretty much entirely drowned out by the vacuum noise, but when the vacuum's not on, the sound is not exactly confidence-inspiring. Doesn't seem to affect the turning of the record though, thankfully. 

Oh, and I'm replacing the brush it came with, with a Tonar Wetgoat. The original one has a wooden body, and has soaked up enough liquid in the wood that it's expanded and chunks of bristles have fallen off. Not sure if that's the common experience with these brushes, but seems like a poor choice on Project's part to include a brush that can break in that way, especially given the application. The Tonar brush has a plastic body which will hopefully alleviate the problem.

Again I haven't used the ON, but the main thing that repelled me from it was the fact that it has a full-size platter, versus Project's label-size platter. That alone was probably the deciding factor for me. I mean, what sense does it make to put your newly cleaned record, onto a platter that's dusty? Madness!

Anyway, hope that helps. Not sure how Project's later iterations compare to my old MK 1. I know that the MK 2 has an aluminium enclosure, maybe that helps with suppressing the noise.

IMG_20200706_190929.jpg

IMG_20200706_190941.jpg

IMG_20200706_191303.jpg

IMG_20200706_191307.jpg

IMG_20200706_191313.jpg

IMG_20200706_191323.jpg

IMG_20200706_190917.jpg

I'm planning on wearing my noise cancelling headphones when l can actually get one.

Get yourself an ultrasonic cleaner, these are by far the best way to clean old LP's.

I have had a couple LP's that I cleaned multiple times on a vacuum RCM and the stylus was still digging crud out of the groove. 1 pass through the USPCM and no more crud.

My USRCM is DIY and turns the LP at 0.08rpm so 1 revolution in 12min. This leaves the LP in the bath for a longer period and I found this to clean better than spinning the LP faster.

I think there are a fair few people waiting for the Pro Ject to come back in stock.