I have been on the hunt for a high quality power cable and came across this today: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/McIntosh-Audiophile-AUS-Power-Cable-1m-AU-STOCK/254638577475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I have a feeling it may be fake. I've asked the seller and although he can't prove where he obtained it, he tells me it's the genuine thing.

Does anyone in this community know if McIntosh ever sold these cables separately?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The answer to the original question is, Yes, it's fake. eBay and McIntosh have been notified of the counterfeit items being offered for sale. In regards to other items being sold by the same vend

I have a few questions.   1. Why haven't you declared your commercial interests in your signature as per the Website Guidelines which you agreed to when you signed up? 2. You've openly

If you know some Chinese, you can buy exotic cables/equipments at dirt cheap prices in www.taobao.com:

https://world.taobao.com/item/591761493734.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406-tw.0.0.53d5c5b7c2e0CB

Many of them may not be found in original companies ! FM Acoustics pre amp can be as low as A$500?. Don't buy anything if the price is too good to be true and from unknown source. If the seller bought it from a reputable agent or source, they will tell you straight away.

Screenshot_2020-07-08-19-45-32-373_com.android.chrome.png

Edited by Music & HT lover
Add more details
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Allyouhaveisyoursoul said:

I have been on the hunt for a high quality power cable and came across this today: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/McIntosh-Audiophile-AUS-Power-Cable-1m-AU-STOCK/254638577475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I have a feeling it may be fake. I've asked the seller and although he can't prove where he obtained it, he tells me it's the genuine thing.

Does anyone in this community know if McIntosh ever sold these cables separately?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

can probably ask the seller for it to be any brand you like :D 

• Like 3

McIntosh do not make original power cables, this is a custom made cable by ALA. Audio custom cables using generic branded McIntosh cable fitted with AU approved fittings, (fitting in image is an old photo) Cable is well constructed and has decent performance, we test and tag prior to sale, and have priced it accordingly. Many other cables that are listed e.g furutech are original, all cables are listed within a certain price bracket, a high performance tuned power cable will cost in excess of $500, although there is a large group of people who are looking for a cheaper shielded option hence why we have listed this cable. Happy to answer any questions via PM ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idiomatically said:

Yeah those cables aren’t legal in Australia, there is no shielding on the plug.

What do you mean with 'shielding'? It's plastic. It might not have the proper stamp on it saying it's tested and found legal but I wouldn't say it's a bad plug just by looking at it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Pim said:

What do you mean with 'shielding'? It's plastic. It might not have the proper stamp on it saying it's tested and found legal but I wouldn't say it's a bad plug just by looking at it.

The shielding on the ground pin I assume>?

• Like 1

On the bottom of that page, there's a blue 'Siltech' cable for sale by the same seller. Obviously fake. There's probably a red one for another brand.

The question is does it sound like fake one? 

• Like 1

What does a fake cable sound like.....?

Seems like false advertising and the aus plug doesn’t have a coating on the pins. Stay well away I reckon ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Conch said:

What does a fake cable sound like.....?

Like a fake orgasm. We all know what that sound like don't we blokes? ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Better  to stick to  the Isotek range

Premier perhaps and  can be moved on very easily if not required any more or upgrading up the line 

• Like 1

@es9038pro Thanks for your reply.

So to clarify:

• This is not a genuine and authorised by McIntosh cable, as there is no such thing. It is simply a cable with the brand printed on the side.
  • It is not USA made, rather made in China.

Given those two points, I doubt:

• The listed "5N silver plated copper" is actually real silver.
  • The 5N copper is genuine 5N copper.

Do you have any evidence to prove otherwise in relation to any of the points above?

• Like 1

The cable is either made by McIntosh and available for sale/sold by them or its not - if not then it is a fake.

13 hours ago, Allyouhaveisyoursoul said:

I've asked the seller and although he can't prove where he obtained it, he tells me it's the genuine thing.

It’s not clear how he can say it’s genuine and at the same time say this:

8 hours ago, es9038pro said:

McIntosh do not make original power cables

• Like 1

Hi All,

From the look of the pins it is Chinese, so fake, and would not comply with Australian Standards, and would void warranty on equipment and home insurance.

JJ

• Like 1

Australian standards definitely questionable given the origins but it’s also a breach of  copyright and trademark given the logo is printed on the cable. If I’m running a legit business there’s no way I’d be risking my company by selling them.

A bit like having a sunglasses shop, selling some genuine brands and having the copy Raybans in the corner, acknowledging they are fake doesn’t exclude you from liability, even more so if you are the importer and are deemed the manufacturer.

• Like 2

Fake or genuine?

Enjoying the discussion, but..........why not just go guaranteed genuine, and at reasonable price? Something safe, dependable, fully compliant, value for money.

I will be buying new power cables in the near future (to go with upgraded equipment).

Previously looked at Isotek etc.

Now looking at EGM as most likely choice  

Australian made, high quality materials, proper quality control, excellent price for quality of products.  Recommendations from knowledgeable customers.  Stereonet Commercial member!

Will be able to audition with new gear, before final decision about purchase.

Ticks every box for me.

• Like 1
  • Administrators
9 hours ago, es9038pro said:

McIntosh do not make original power cables, this is a custom made cable by ALA. Audio custom cables using generic branded McIntosh cable fitted with AU approved fittings, (fitting in image is an old photo) Cable is well constructed and has decent performance, we test and tag prior to sale, and have priced it accordingly. Many other cables that are listed e.g furutech are original, all cables are listed within a certain price bracket, a high performance tuned power cable will cost in excess of $500, although there is a large group of people who are looking for a cheaper shielded option hence why we have listed this cable. Happy to answer any questions via PM ?  

I have a few questions.

1. Why haven't you declared your commercial interests in your signature as per the Website Guidelines which you agreed to when you signed up?

2. You've openly admitted that these are not "McIntosh" power cables, yet you seem to be happy to continue offering them for sale and misleading customers?

3. Do these said cables have Australian compliance? Can you post the ID/compliance information that they must have in order to be sold on the Australian market?

4. There are some other brands/products you have for sale that when I checked with the Australian distributors last night, they had never heard of your trading name and confirmed that you do not purchase from them. So where are the products sourced from? Do they have full warranty?

• Like 7
8 hours ago, idiomatically said:

Yeah those cables aren’t legal in Australia, there is no shielding on the plug.

7 hours ago, Pim said:

7 hours ago, kelossus said:

The shielding on the ground pin I assume>?

I think it's actually the shielding on the other two pins, and not the ground pin:

2m PC Power Cable - IEC Power Cable

(EDIT: which I'll admit I didn't even notice until I read the first post!!!)

Edited by Cloth Ears
  • Like 1

Really shits me that people, with the knowledge, actively try to deceive. It's very clearly labelled as a McIntosh cable. Fullstop. I'd have no clue, I'd see what appears a well made cable, good price, good brand, stating compliance.

• Like 1

I would suggest contacting McIntosh to see how they feel about their name being used in this way. I'm sure there's a court somewhere with the manufacturer and distributor of this cable's name on it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Pim said:

On the bottom of that page, there's a blue 'Siltech' cable for sale by the same seller. Obviously fake. There's probably a red one for another brand.

The question is does it sound like fake one? 

Fortunately they all have the same power of suggestion affecting their presumed sound improvements, so sure it will sound fantastic, until you find out it's a fake and then you'll find that with extended listening the sound stage collapsed and it became hard and glary and fatiguing to listen to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is anything in the shop real or is it all fake?

That is my question. Steer well clear.

10 hours ago, es9038pro said:

Audio custom cables using generic branded McIntosh cable ~

what's that mean :D generic branded ? McIntosh cable ? McIntosh we have heard doesnt make a cable...so these are clearly fake then ! :D 

perhaps someone needs to be made aware of ebays counterfeit policy :D 

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/counterfeit-item-policy?id=4276

"We don't allow counterfeit items, replicas or unauthorised copies to be listed on eBay.

Items that bear a company's official brand name or logo can be listed, as long as the products were lawfully made by, for, or with the consent of that company.

Unauthorised copies may include items that are bootlegged, illegally duplicated or pirated. These items may infringe on someone's copyright or trademark.

What is the policy?

• Counterfeit products are illegal and not allowed on eBay. Examples include:
    • Fakes, copies or replicas of brand name items (for example, a shoe with the Nike name or logo that wasn't made by Nike)
    • Electronics or accessories that use or bear the brand name, logo or trademark of a company that didn't manufacture the item
    • Bootleg recordings from concerts or other live shows
    • Unauthorised or pirated copies of movies, videos or software.
  • Listings with photos that hide or blur trademarks are not allowed.
  • If you're not certain that your item is authentic, it may not be listed.
  • We may remove listings if we receive buyer complaints that the item is not authentic. These items may not be relisted.

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, loss of buyer or seller protections, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account."

56 minutes ago, Marc said:

3. Do these said cables have Australian compliance? Can you post the ID/compliance information that they must have in order to be sold on the Australian market?

Apart from Intellectual Property theft, ie branding without owners approval;

It is ILLEGAL to sell a socket, plug or lead set in Australia without all components passing mandatory compliance.

There are no exceptions to this. It is the law.

I would not be purchasing an illegal 240V product and putting life and asset to risk, to save a couple of hundred dollars.

Think about that. Ignore it. But then think about it again.

Purchasing illegal/copied products condones & supports all that is wrong with illegal, inferior & sometimes unsafe copied product.

Legit manufacturers/distributors will cease to exist or give up if too many people goes down this path.

Then, you will only have online access to potentially inferior product that may not be/probably isn't what it claims to be.

Think about that too.

If you buy unauthorised/copied product, YOU are part of the problem.

If you buy legit product, you are part of the solution.

Be part of the solution. The extra cost goes further than you think.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cloth Ears said:

I think it's actually the shielding on the other two pins, and not the ground pin:

2m PC Power Cable - IEC Power Cable

(EDIT: which I'll admit I didn't even notice until I read the first post!!!)

You are 100% correct mate, without those pin being shielded it cannot pass Australia standards and is not legal for use or sale in Australia.

14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

what's that mean :D generic branded ? McIntosh cable ? McIntosh we have heard doesnt make a cable...so these are clearly fake then ! :D 

perhaps someone needs to be made aware of bays counterfeit policy :D 

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/counterfeit-item-policy?id=4276

"We don't allow counterfeit items, replicas or unauthorised copies to be listed on eBay.

Items that bear a company's official brand name or logo can be listed, as long as the products were lawfully made by, for, or with the consent of that company.

Unauthorised copies may include items that are bootlegged, illegally duplicated or pirated. These items may infringe on someone's copyright or trademark.

What is the policy?

• Counterfeit products are illegal and not allowed on eBay. Examples include:
    • Fakes, copies or replicas of brand name items (for example, a shoe with the Nike name or logo that wasn't made by Nike)
    • Electronics or accessories that use or bear the brand name, logo or trademark of a company that didn't manufacture the item
    • Bootleg recordings from concerts or other live shows
    • Unauthorised or pirated copies of movies, videos or software.
  • Listings with photos that hide or blur trademarks are not allowed.
  • If you're not certain that your item is authentic, it may not be listed.
  • We may remove listings if we receive buyer complaints that the item is not authentic. These items may not be relisted.

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, loss of buyer or seller protections, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account."

ebay is full of crap
they sell heaps and heaps of counterfit crap.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

they sell heaps and heaps of counterfit crap.

They only sell it, because people keep buying it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is the guy who was going to sell me Topping gear, and I've been reading reports that there are even fake Topping DACs out there. In a bizarre twist of fate, I can't trust him to sell me Chinese gear and will buy it from a Chinese distributor instead. There's so much irony in this situation I think my head's about to explode.

• Like 3
  • Marc locked this topic