Is this fake?

I have been on the hunt for a high quality power cable and came across this today: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/McIntosh-Audiophile-AUS-Power-Cable-1m-AU-STOCK/254638577475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I have a feeling it may be fake. I've asked the seller and although he can't prove where he obtained it, he tells me it's the genuine thing.

Does anyone in this community know if McIntosh ever sold these cables separately?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

If you know some Chinese, you can buy exotic cables/equipments at dirt cheap prices in www.taobao.com:

https://world.taobao.com/item/591761493734.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406-tw.0.0.53d5c5b7c2e0CB

Many of them may not be found in original companies ! FM Acoustics pre amp can be as low as A$500?. Don't buy anything if the price is too good to be true and from unknown source. If the seller bought it from a reputable agent or source, they will tell you straight away.

Screenshot_2020-07-08-19-45-32-373_com.android.chrome.png

Edited by Music & HT lover
Add more details
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Allyouhaveisyoursoul said:

I have been on the hunt for a high quality power cable and came across this today: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/McIntosh-Audiophile-AUS-Power-Cable-1m-AU-STOCK/254638577475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I have a feeling it may be fake. I've asked the seller and although he can't prove where he obtained it, he tells me it's the genuine thing.

Does anyone in this community know if McIntosh ever sold these cables separately?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

can probably ask the seller for it to be any brand you like :D 

• Like 3

McIntosh do not make original power cables, this is a custom made cable by ALA. Audio custom cables using generic branded McIntosh cable fitted with AU approved fittings, (fitting in image is an old photo) Cable is well constructed and has decent performance, we test and tag prior to sale, and have priced it accordingly. Many other cables that are listed e.g furutech are original, all cables are listed within a certain price bracket, a high performance tuned power cable will cost in excess of $500, although there is a large group of people who are looking for a cheaper shielded option hence why we have listed this cable. Happy to answer any questions via PM ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idiomatically said:

Yeah those cables aren’t legal in Australia, there is no shielding on the plug.

What do you mean with 'shielding'? It's plastic. It might not have the proper stamp on it saying it's tested and found legal but I wouldn't say it's a bad plug just by looking at it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pim said:

What do you mean with 'shielding'? It's plastic. It might not have the proper stamp on it saying it's tested and found legal but I wouldn't say it's a bad plug just by looking at it.

The shielding on the ground pin I assume>?

• Like 1

On the bottom of that page, there's a blue 'Siltech' cable for sale by the same seller. Obviously fake. There's probably a red one for another brand.

The question is does it sound like fake one? 

• Like 1

@es9038pro Thanks for your reply.

So to clarify:

• This is not a genuine and authorised by McIntosh cable, as there is no such thing. It is simply a cable with the brand printed on the side.
  • It is not USA made, rather made in China.

Given those two points, I doubt:

• The listed "5N silver plated copper" is actually real silver.
  • The 5N copper is genuine 5N copper.

Do you have any evidence to prove otherwise in relation to any of the points above?

• Like 1

• Volunteer
13 hours ago, Allyouhaveisyoursoul said:

I've asked the seller and although he can't prove where he obtained it, he tells me it's the genuine thing.

It’s not clear how he can say it’s genuine and at the same time say this:

8 hours ago, es9038pro said:

McIntosh do not make original power cables

• Like 1