How to get USB audio to my amp?

Hey all

I'm looking to run audio from my PC to my NAD C 368 integrated amp. My PC only has USB out (for now) and I'm not sure what the best method to get audio out is. Ideally I'm thinking I can probably just buy a very cheap sound card for my PC with optical out, as my NAD already has a good quality DAC? I'm not sure if the sound card makes a difference here - am I better served buying a dedicated DAC that can handle USB input?

If there is not going to be a great deal of difference I'd like to stick to the cheapest reasonable option, as I don't imagine whatever I purchase will be kept for the long term.

Cheers

Gavin

Looks like a soundcard is your cheapest option. 

A dac will most likely cost more than a soundcard, but if you buy used and sell later you may not lose much in the end. Topping Dac's are very popular at the moment.

Stereo 3.5 from PC motherboard to 2x RCA lead.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-5mm-stereo-plug-to-2-x-rca-plugs-audio-cable-3m/p/WA7015

Edit: As you haven't specified it is a laptop, I assume a desktop PC, it will have onboard audio connectors at the back and one will be a 3.5mm analogue stereo out.

Edited by muon*

Yes it's a desktop PC. I am guessing the onboard DAC will be pretty crappy so I'm happy to throw out a bit of cash to get a sound card with optical out or a DAC to get that step up - that's no biggie - I just don't want to splash out as if it's a long term purchase.

9 minutes ago, Gabehcuod said:

Maybe one of those USB to spidif reclocker things. M2Tech make one, Schiit used to make one too, i'm sure there's others too.

Checked out the M2tech one but it's more than $300 - much cheaper and I assume better to buy a sound card then.

Try the Topping D10 USB DAC at around $130, USB input only and also powered by the same USB connector, small footprint and very good spec and SQ.

Can also output digital as well as analogue. Up to 32 bit 386KHz.

I bought one for my Desktop PC, great bit of kit.

Edited by Batty