sloper

Is it a good time to sell vintage gear?

Goodaye all

Got a Marantz 2240 l am thinking of moving along so l can partially fund my next Sansui purchase.

Do you guys think its a good time or not, its not ultra urgent as l havent found my new old Sanaui yet.

Its a very confusing time, we are flat out at work yet l talk to people who have no work.

regards Bruce

If anything I'm finding things are easier to sell now than ever, including vintage gear. Covid is making people stay at home and tinker more.

I think it is I think big ticket items might be squeezed plus helps the economy 

I'm finding lower priced items sell quickly, more expensive not so much. That said my LTA MZ3 sold quite quickly as it's a fairly rare component in this country. That and about $2k off the buy it new price is a fair incentive also.

Yep I agree with Matt. Bargains, rare items and cables will always sell but it's a little slow IME for general hifi.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Yep I agree with Matt. Bargains, rare items and cables will always sell but it's a little slow IME for general hifi.

On another note, my little one is getting closer to walking. Once she's able to escape so I can do away with the playpen I need to arrange a listening session with you, @muon* and Geoff (Aurealis).

I'm banned from any further purchases until I sell off and the unused gear I have.  Beginning to list all the extra bits I have stored in my office.

Edited by MattyW

The Covid superannuation release has probably been part of the reason we've seen an uptick in Classifieds turnover.

Everyone who applied for the 2020-21 release last week should have the funds hitting their accounts later in the week.

In answer to the question, probably not but a good time to be a buyer.

3 hours ago, deanB said:

The Covid superannuation release has probably been part of the reason we've seen an uptick in Classifieds turnover.

Everyone who applied for the 2020-21 release last week should have the funds hitting their accounts later in the week.

The idea of people early drawing their super to buy hifi gear or other non essentials makes me shiver.

Guest jakeyb77
39 minutes ago, zenikoy said:

The idea of people early drawing their super to buy hifi gear or other non essentials makes me shiver.

Depends... if it’s $10,000 and you’re very close to withdrawal age it’s not going to make much difference at all. 
If you’re 25 then that’s another story. 
But, I got a lot of people I knew never made it that far either. 

I could be wrong here but I don't think it has been a good time to sell anything audio related for several years at least, unless it is at firesale pricing or is the flavour-of-the year dac.:rofl:

I actually think the whole argument about whether now or another time in the past was a good or bad time to sell audio gear is a bit of a Bank spelt with a 'W'.

When the Aussie peso was a $1.08  only a few years back, that was a great time to buy anything from OS.

But it quickly came to an end and we've sat down here in the gutter at a fluctuating 60c to 69c something for awhile...meh, it is what it is.

I snaffled a Sansui 555A two weeks ago for $40, it was at a garage sale so that was a win. If I want a Sansui AU X11 then i have to pay a premium due to scarcity and our dollar.

There's honestly never a good time or a bad time to sell audio gear, the market factors in all the variables and if your as smart as the market then you'll buy at market prices and...you'll just live with that.

Things like my win at a garage sale don't come into it.

Mind you if I'd won one of these, then it'd be straight onto here in the classifieds and paint me as a flipper.

https://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/san/BA5k.jpg

A person in Illuka picked one of these up from a skip...a skip...you have to be f-ing kidding...a skip!(you know who you are...lol)

Anyway, There is never a good or bad time to sell, we're not talking houses here, were talking stuff that audio nut jobs want and they'll pay the market price or their own 'I want this!' price, it's that simple.

10 hours ago, sloper said:

...Its a very confusing time, we are flat out at work yet l talk to people who have no work...

It depends on the type of work you are in.  In general, healthcare, logistics, many areas of education, etc. are excellent industries to be working in.  A lot of people don't need to worry.  Hospitality, entertainment, small business, etc. are very vulnerable industries.  Those who are on part-time/casual are also vulnerable - and they are generally the most vulnerable anyway.  I'd like to see every executive forgo their annual bonuses and donate them to those who have lost jobs during the pandemic - but I don't think that their greed will allow that.  I hope that they at least spend it locally to stimulate the economy. 

I think that those who are in secure financial positions and an interest in audio will be buying as if there was no pandemic. 

Guest jakeyb77

The only thing I can tell anyone is make sure you have income protection insurance and EXTRA TPD insurance. 
I wouldn’t be typing this right now had I not been paying premiums for this since I was 18. 

5 hours ago, zenikoy said:

You got that right. What we're witnessing is a whole new level of stupid.

A young person withdrawing $10,000 today will be out of pocket $100,000+ (*) in their retirement. All for what. Stupid.

(*) past results are not indicative of future results, your mileage may vary, this does not constitute as financial advice, read our PDS for full details.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Depends... if it’s $10,000 and you’re very close to withdrawal age it’s not going to make much difference at all. 
If you’re 25 then that’s another story. 
But, I got a lot of people I knew never made it that far either. 

I'm with you on that one...take advantage of the Economic swings and roundabouts!

Edited by BLAH BLAH

14 hours ago, Luc said:

I actually think the whole argument about whether now or another time in the past was a good or bad time to sell audio gear is a bit of a Bank spelt with a 'W'.

When the Aussie peso was a $1.08  only a few years back, that was a great time to buy anything from OS.

But it quickly came to an end and we've sat down here in the gutter at a fluctuating 60c to 69c something for awhile...meh, it is what it is.

I snaffled a Sansui 555A two weeks ago for $40, it was at a garage sale so that was a win. If I want a Sansui AU X11 then i have to pay a premium due to scarcity and our dollar.

There's honestly never a good time or a bad time to sell audio gear, the market factors in all the variables and if your as smart as the market then you'll buy at market prices and...you'll just live with that.

Things like my win at a garage sale don't come into it.

Mind you if I'd won one of these, then it'd be straight onto here in the classifieds and paint me as a flipper.

https://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/san/BA5k.jpg

A person in Illuka picked one of these up from a skip...a skip...you have to be f-ing kidding...a skip!(you know who you are...lol)

Anyway, There is never a good or bad time to sell, we're not talking houses here, were talking stuff that audio nut jobs want and they'll pay the market price or their own 'I want this!' price, it's that simple.

got to wonder who would be stupid enough to toss one of these out.... I mean, worst comes to worst sell at a thrift store right?

A BA-5000 in a skip?

That's nuts!

3 hours ago, MattyW said:

got to wonder who would be stupid enough to toss one of these out.... I mean, worst comes to worst sell at a thrift store right?

2 hours ago, muon* said:

A BA-5000 in a skip?

That's nuts!

Deceased estate and from what an acquaintance told me, was that the  relatives after removing all the furniture and things that they wanted, called in cleaners to get rid of the rest and prepare the unit the old guy lived in for sale.  Real estate agent was in charge of the whole thing. If this was in the bin...what happened to the rest of the system?

Apparently has a bad scratch down one side and a small amount of  liquid got inside but not damaging. Currently at repair shop in Coffs I believe.

Moral of the story is never pass a skip without a quick squiz inside.

22 minutes ago, Luc said:

Deceased estate and from what an acquaintance told me, was that the  relatives after removing all the furniture and things that they wanted, called in cleaners to get rid of the rest and prepare the unit the old guy lived in for sale.  Real estate agent was in charge of the whole thing. If this was in the bin...what happened to the rest of the system?

Apparently has a bad scratch down one side and a small amount of  liquid got inside but not damaging. Currently at repair shop in Coffs I believe.

Moral of the story is never pass a skip without a quick squiz inside.

Enough to make you rise from the grave I reckon.... Pretty much guarantee that the zombie apocalypse will start with a relative or some such tossing out the decease's prized stereo equipment, the deceased rising from the grave to confront them over it!

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Enough to make you rise from the grave I reckon.... Pretty much guarantee that the zombie apocalypse will start with a relative or some such tossing out the decease's prized stereo equipment, the deceased rising from the grave to confront them over it!

I’m not sure which is worse- chucking it out or the wife selling it for what you told her you paid for it!

2 minutes ago, Tim D said:

I’m not sure which is worse- chucking it out or the wife selling it for what you told her you paid for it!

Chucking it out.... I don't care how much she gets for my gear when I go.... Would be nice for it to go to a loving home though.

I’m just going to offload everything before I go. Problem solved...

Guest jakeyb77
7 minutes ago, Tim D said:

I’m just going to offload everything before I go. Problem solved...

Sometimes you don’t get the warning 😳

1 hour ago, jakeyb77 said:

Sometimes you don’t get the warning 😳

Very few people plan to die.....