Retirement for my I7 NEW PC

Goodaye all

Well l think after 10 years of solid service it might be time to upgrade my first generation I7

It was highly specced when l got with 24gig ram and had heaps of slots and sata ports to boot.

Over the years it got a Solid state hard drive, 3 2Tbyte and 1 4Tbyte hard drives.

Acted as general workhorse and Media server and still runs as quick as the day l got it.

Over the last week a heap of new and used goodies fell in my lap.

So the new PC will be a 7th Gen I5, new motherboard, 32Gig Ram (fastest that goes in the new board)

Has 4 6GB sata ports.

New 400G solid state and l will use 2 2TB and 1 4TD out of the old PC

Use the old casewhich is dynomat lined and my Xanar soundcard for opitcal out.

l have a win 7 key l can upgrade to 10.

Instead of spending $2k it will be running for less than $450 and run for years.

If you hadnt noticed l tend to keep old stuff if it works.

l kept getting depressed at the cost of replacing something that still did the job.

Spent a good part yesterday backing up data to my other PC's and setting up my backup computer to do stuff few  a few days if required.

l have data going back to 1996 that can easily be accessed on most of my PC's on my network.

Here's a tip for prepairing a new PC that l have been doing for years.

Load your operating system, get all the updates on that day, load drivers then make a disc image and store it.

Load all the intial must have software and set up email, user accounts, then make another disc image and store it.

You now have a copy of your clean PC and one with your basic configeration.

So as you can guess from day one l never reloaded from scratch but instead choose a image to use.

Image it every 6 months.

For once l am going to use the onboard video to see how that performs.

Cant see myself running out of memory.

Trained a long time ago in this stuff and its only got easier, although l havent updated and tend to cherry pick the tech l use.

Not interested in gaming, overclocking stuff.

l want it to just work and be ultra reliable.

My kids play with water cooled stuff, water electronics. Not a good idea.

Oh and the old I7 will go into a case and sleep till needed.

regards Bruce

• Like 6

I was about to give my 10 yr old the heave ho but after giving the entire unit a blast of Air from a can I am amazed how strongly it has come back.

Touch wood it is flying at the moment.

Fingers crossed it goes abit longer.

GLW the new build.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

Good stuff, nice to read?

Exact opposite here; know nothing and never trained in it. No idea what most of it's about but...I do love gaming and my young bloke does too so with his aid and some people here and some serious gamers at Steam ect ect, I'm building a gaming(audio hifi) rig, first ever attempt at a PC build.

My young blokes 30+ and we've enjoyed games since he was about this big >  .  < . Never play together but both enjoy it in our own ways. Present PC has been on 24/7 nearing 8 years  now.

i5 I think it is, next build is AMD.  My old PC, tower and all it's guts is headed straight for the recycle centre after it's honourable discharge!

I got gifted a several year old Pentium PC that replaced my 11 year old Xeon one, performance is around the same but there is the possibility to upgrade with a old quad core i7 or i5 if I need to.

I like getting the most out of a PC these days, gone are my days of constant frequent up grading and gaming on the latest greatest FPS games.

If anyone in Bris' can use a working Gigabyte board, Xeon 3110 and 4Gb ram give me a shout out.

9 hours ago, sloper said:

What  winner just found a unopened Win95 in the cupboard.

regards Bruce

Oh my!

That was the first OS I cut my teeth on, the daily blue screens used to drive me nuts :lol:

Goodaye all

l write this on the new PC finaly, hate loading computers.

Had only one hiccup, inbox in Thunderbird wouldnt play propley.

Finished up just forwarding everything.

For the first time in years l dont have a CD/DVD burner installed, wont miss it.

Went from 8 Sata ports to 4 but becuase of my network now dont need so much HD space in one PC.

For the first time in a long time just using onboard video on 2 screens, will see how l go with this.

Cost was about $450.

I5 7th Gen

400GB Solid state

8TB Hard drive space (3 Hdisks)

32GB Ram

Xoaner Soundcard.

Win10 Pro

Time setup backups.

regards Bruce

• Like 2