Sure thing. I'm sympathetic because I do - or did - some blind testing myself whenever I planned a major change to the system. My biggest conclusion is cables of any sort do not come off lightly in the testing...

Just now, Ittaku said:

Sure thing. I'm sympathetic because I do - or did - some blind testing myself whenever I planned a major change to the system. My biggest conclusion is cables of any sort do not come off lightly in the testing...

Cant agree enough...and immediate switch is important to understand the difference.

Using a simple RCA switcher currently.

For XLR , controlling volume from DAC or AMP (made markings on them so that they are as closely volume leveled as possible)

10 minutes ago, peppy said:

Cant agree enough...and immediate switch is important to understand the difference.

For XLR , controlling volume from DAC or AMP (made markings on them so that they are as closely volume leveled as possible)

I find that grouping dacs in a common Roon zone makes instant switching really simple 

7 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I find that grouping dacs in a common Roon zone makes instant switching really simple 

I was doing this a couple of days ago. Volume leveling in roon helps with any differences in output voltage between the dacs too.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Yes it does.

But connecting 2 DACs both RCA to 1 RCA in Amp needs that switcher ofcourse.

XLR is even worse as I don’t have an XLR switcher.

easy to compare All in one machine DAC to external DAC just toggling between the two.

Planning to get XLR split cables tomorrow.

Ares II —> XLR Out —> 1 to Taurus amp + 1 to Audio GD amp

easier to determine the best pairing.

And 1 in —> 2 XLR outs to 2 different DACs for DAC testing.

Easier for future, stand by my current findings.

Edited by peppy
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, peppy said:

Yes it does.

But connecting 2 DACs both RCA to 1 RCA in Amp needs that switcher ofcourse.

XLR is even worse as I don’t have an XLR switcher.

easy to compare All in one machine DAC to external DAC just toggling between the two.

Planning to get XLR split cables tomorrow.

Ares II —> XLR Out —> 1 to Taurus amp + 1 to Audio GD amp

easier to determine the best pairing.

And 1 in —> 2 XLR outs to 2 different DACs for DAC testing.

Easier for future, stand by my current findings.

My DAC comparisons have been done with dacs connected to my preamp. I can individually adjust the gains on the preamp inputs so I can volume match and switch instantly via the remote. 

(and as a spoiler, level matched and not knowing which is which, DACs are remarkably hard to tell apart)

Edited by sir sanders zingmore
Just now, sir sanders zingmore said:

My DAC comparisons have been done with dacs connected to my preamp. I can individually adjust the gains on the preamp inputs so I can volume match and switch instantly via the remote. 

Any good and not too expensive preamps , that you can suggest ?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, peppy said:

Any good and not too expensive preamps , that you can suggest ?

Stereo coffee passive attenuator is pretty good value (assuming you can get the gain structure right). But not sure if you can individually set volume. 

I haven’t tried any preamps for ages as I’ve been very happy with what I’ve got (Sanders pre)

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Stereo coffee passive attenuator is pretty good value (assuming you can get the gain structure right). But not sure if you can individually set volume 

Thanks...will look into it.

Was thinking of these 2

$170 each

http://www.arx.com.au/worldwide/audibox-iso-selector.htm

http://www.arx.com.au/worldwide/audibox-iso-switcher.htm

Edited by peppy
1 minute ago, peppy said:

So you’re really just after a switch rather than a preamp? I don’t know much about those sorry 

16 hours ago, elisix_ said:

If I wear a lab coat, will that add to the legitimacy of my findings? 

As long as you also have a clipboard, definitely.

A switch with trim resistors or similar would be nice, to equalise levels between inputs.

So a minimal passive preamp, individual volume trim for each input and a master volume for listening level control.

Perhaps with the moden LDR opotocoupler designs (ala stereocoffee) this would not degrade the signal.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, lemarquis said:

Science aside, seems like the Audio GD was a consistent winner. Thanks for sharing :)

Yes...fortunately i dont use all the scientific items some have mentioned here when listening to music, neither am I listening to music in an audio lab.

At my desk , audio level matched to human ear , and at my desk...this is what me & my mate discovered , in an a blind audio test.

Edited by peppy
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2020 at 6:13 PM, elisix_ said:

If I wear a lab coat, will that add to the legitimacy of my findings? 

Yes !!!

LAB COATS | The Scrub Store

BTW I like your test.

I did some tests myself and my conclusion was that my personal preferences are stronger than my ability to recognise better sound. 

On 06/07/2020 at 7:32 PM, peppy said:

Yes, quick switching is very very helpful..... and level matching of the outputs is also critical (and can make the testing very difficult without the ability to measure ... and sore/recall levels on switch.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, 7502dan said:

Any opinions on the Denefrips aries2?

Sound preference is subjective :

As a DAC alone (no feature or functionality comparison) purely on sound, the way I perceive, ARESII is the best I have owned.

I have either owned, or tried:

• RME ADI V2 DAC
  • Hugo2 (Qutest dac inside I believe)
  • AGD D77
  • and a few not so famous ones.

I have found Ares II , that suits me best.

Edited by peppy

I'm happy that your findings mirror mine,it makes most bad recodings listenable and the good ones analog(natural).i think people get hang up on specifications too much,the specs are only a good staring point .The best dac I've ever heard is the AudioNote dac3 se.A simple black box with a couple of ins and outs .No digital displays or multicolor lights and 101 switches and buttons and switches. I think the ares2 comes  close to AN.as far as sound ,it could even be better .It's a long time since I heard it..We are trying to emulate art with technology. How would we measure one Stradivarius violin to another?

I've owned wadia ,sonic frontiers,audio research, sony cd5es,some othes that don't come to mind

Edited by 7502dan
Incomplete
8 hours ago, 7502dan said:

I'm happy that your findings mirror mine,it makes most bad recodings listenable and the good ones analog(natural).i think people get hang up on specifications too much,the specs are only a good staring point .The best dac I've ever heard is the AudioNote dac3 se.A simple black box with a couple of ins and outs .No digital displays or multicolor lights and 101 switches and buttons and switches. I think the ares2 comes  close to AN.as far as sound ,it could even be better .It's a long time since I heard it..We are trying to emulate art with technology. How would we measure one Stradivarius violin to another?

I've owned wadia ,sonic frontiers,audio research, sony cd5es,some othes that don't come to mind

Agree, the most analog sounding DAC I have ever had . My experience or collection, not as rich as yours though, so knowing your experience makes me feel even better about the device I own.

On 16/07/2020 at 5:31 PM, Irek said:

BTW I like your test.

I did some tests myself and my conclusion was that my personal preferences are stronger than my ability to recognise better sound. 

My thoughts, exactly!.. personal taste always gets in the way!..

I agree with that, which is why it's important to describe the sound differences. 

More air, more bass, etc. It shouldn't be just about which you think sounds better.