Good RCM for under $1k?

Remember to allocate about $60 or so for a wet shop vac (Bunnings) and use a slotted tube covered in a velvet microfibre (one end closed) to suck the records dry. This takes about a minute and leaves the record ready to play.

• Like 1

I use a hairdryer to dry the LP's off after cleaning, then straight into a new sleeve.

One thing I have found is turn the records very slowly. My US cleaner does 1 revolution every 12min and for old LP's I have purchased I do 2 revolutions 24min.

I have an eBay 6L bath and do 2 LP's at a time, if you don't have at least 25mm around the LP's you do not get good cavitation so cleaning is not as good.

Solution is distilled water and 2% IPA with a few ml of photo solution for a surfactant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, t_mike said:

It's actually about 40mm you need all around. Regardless, the exciters in those Chinese tanks only have enough power for one record at a time.

Not my experience. I clean 2 at a time and have re-cleaned all the LP's that were cleaned with the VRCM and the junk in the bottom of the tank after 6-8 LP's was enough to need filtering the solution and wiping the bottom of the tank.

I have a Stevie Wonder LP that I cleaned multiple times on the VRCM and the stylus was still dredging crap out of the groove. This is what inspired me to build the USRCM. 1x 24min run through the US and all the crud was gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

Not my experience. I clean 2 at a time and have re-cleaned all the LP's that were cleaned with the VRCM and the junk in the bottom of the tank after 6-8 LP's was enough to need filtering the solution and wiping the bottom of the tank.

I have a Stevie Wonder LP that I cleaned multiple times on the VRCM and the stylus was still dredging crap out of the groove. This is what inspired me to build the USRCM. 1x 24min run through the US and all the crud was gone.

I agree that vac is useless on it's own. I spin my records at about 2 rpm for 10 minutes at 35 degrees celcius, and vac dry. I too get a tank full of crud very quickly, but don't get too excited about it as the vac takes any residue out of the grooves. It's all horses for courses, as long as your method works for you. In the end, do the math and we're both energising the records to about the same level.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 7:47 PM, t_mike said:

It's actually about 40mm you need all around. Regardless, the exciters in those Chinese tanks only have enough power for one record at a time.

It's 40mm for a 40kHz tank, Mike ... only 25mm for a 60kHz tank.

But, yes, the cheapest tanks may not have enough power for multiple LPs simultaneously.  :(

Andy

On 05/07/2020 at 6:51 PM, Cardiiiii said:

I reckon the Pro Ject coupled with an ultrasonic cleaner is the way to go.

It certainly is. That's what I use and the double-team is a great way to go.

Pro-Ject VC-S vs Okki, I'd go Pro-Ject. I had a lot of issues with my Okki - not to mention the local distributor for them is a bit of a flog.

7 minutes ago, TDK said:

It certainly is. That's what I use and the double-team is a great way to go.

Pro-Ject VC-S vs Okki, I'd go Pro-Ject. I had a lot of issues with my Okki - not to mention the local distributor for them is a bit of a flog.

Out of interest, do you just use the VC-S for vacuuming, or do you use the cleaning fluid on it as well after the US cleaning?

5 minutes ago, markm1111 said:

Out of interest, do you just use the VC-S for vacuuming, or do you use the cleaning fluid on it as well after the US cleaning?

I use the VC-S first with a home brew solution, vacuum it, and then into the US.

You want to make sure the record is fairly dry before you put it into the US otherwise you'll contaminate the pure water in it. That can cause issues with foaming.

1 hour ago, Honreekea said:

Can I just pay someone in Sydney to US clean my records??? ......

I guess that would depend on:

1. How many records you need cleaned

2. How soon did you need them done

3. How deep are your pockets.

If you had several hundred, then the time factor alone might deter some otherwise willing helpers to decline due to their own time constraints.

I cleaned several hundred of mine prior to offering them on SNA for sale and trust me, it took months so unless someone in Sydney is retired / not working and has plenty of spare time, you might be able to find some kind soul to help out. As to how much to offer to pay, that is a hard one due to each machine / operator requiring a different amount of time to clean each record. As a rough guide, I might spend say 5-10 minutes for each album so might achieve 6-10 per hour. Depending on what hourly rate you negotiate, you might be up for more than a few pesos.

I certainly suggest a visit to BWS or Uncle Dans as a starter then go from there.

It might be cheaper to order the KAB EV1 for US $139 plus bits then you'll have it for life.

Good luck.

Prog

1 hour ago, progladyte said:

I guess that would depend on:

1. How many records you need cleaned

2. How soon did you need them done

3. How deep are your pockets.

If you had several hundred, then the time factor alone might deter some otherwise willing helpers to decline due to their own time constraints.

I cleaned several hundred of mine prior to offering them on SNA for sale and trust me, it took months so unless someone in Sydney is retired / not working and has plenty of spare time, you might be able to find some kind soul to help out. As to how much to offer to pay, that is a hard one due to each machine / operator requiring a different amount of time to clean each record. As a rough guide, I might spend say 5-10 minutes for each album so might achieve 6-10 per hour. Depending on what hourly rate you negotiate, you might be up for more than a few pesos.

I certainly suggest a visit to BWS or Uncle Dans as a starter then go from there.

It might be cheaper to order the KAB EV1 for US $139 plus bits then you'll have it for life.

Good luck.

Prog

All good questions!

I don`t have the room to house and use  such a machine.  I have the time though to operate the machine at some SNAER`S house being able to bring Uncle Dan and a fist full of dollars for the trouble....

How`s that?

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
7 minutes ago, Honreekea said:

All good questions!

I don`t have the room to house and use  such a machine.  I have the time though to operate the machine at some SNAER`S house being able to bring Uncle Dan and a fist full of dollars for the trouble....

How`s that?

It’s a job that is a PITA when doing for yourself. Doing it for someone else would be a flat no for me ?

17 hours ago, Honreekea said:

All good questions!

How`s that?

There's a strange rumour going 'round that SNA is full of piss heads, miscreants and people who cannot say no to a good offer.

I reckon this might help in your endeavour.............. ??

beer.jpg

dollars.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any user thoughts on the Consonance RCM from Osborne? Thinking that one or maybe the Pro-Ject. Both are outside of budget but seems to be the only option(s) unless a 2nd hand one comes up.

• 8 months later...

Using a Moth RCM for years, very noisy but cleans in both directions and always finished with another cycle using just distilled water. Drying - using a wooden plate rack, never damaged an LP yet. However if I could justify the price then an ultrasonic RCM does seem the way to go. The Degritter has some great reviews but look at the price?. It's interesting that this Estonian  company uses a much higher cycle - 120kHz. Has anyone bought and used one, a review would be good.

@kffern

In 4 years and after cleaning thousands of records the only problem I had with the 6lt tank was a wire to a transducer becoming unsoldered and this was easily fixed.

Advantages of a 10lt bath are

not such a tight fit for the records , tank is wider in both directions.

more powerful heater 

an extra transducer, 6 lt has 3 transducers, 10 lt has 4 transducers

Plus 10 lt tanks are presently about the same price as 6 lt. A few months ago, with an offer I got my 10lt bath for $144  including post. Not bad when the 6lt bath cost me $186 four years back.

Present link $151,99

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-10L-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-Timer-Ultra-Sonic-Cleaning-Tank-AUS/353367708490

Link to my thread

This is mine  10 LT tank version  down side the kit that Owen sells will not fit on the  10 lt tank

681053041_URCM10lt4.thumb.jpg.538ace9f5f2d9bdebbcc208844b7803c.jpg368294929_URCM10lt2.thumb.jpg.dcec6f509d373f59229e89e6c15c577b.jpg

Edited by EV Cali