Good RCM for under $1k?

I'm after a record cleaning machine for under $1k. I have a mix of old and new vinyl and where I live has to be one of the dustiest places in the country. I've looked at the Okki Nokki and the Pro-ject units, is there any others I should consider? Are the sonic cleaners better?

Cheers

Blake.

Hi Blake

I got the smaller of the two Pro-ject machines, the VC-E, a few weeks ago, and I reckon it's fantastic. Well-built, easy to operate and every record I've cleaned has sounded better. Well worth considering for sure.

Cheers

Josh

20200705_202211.jpg

• Like 2

Guest jakeyb77

I have been looking at these for some time. 
I had settled on the Consonance one from Osborn. It has fluid and vac in one and is a metal casing. 
The old Pro-Ject was wood which was stupid for a wet system. It’s now metal so it’s another option. 
I just gave away an Ultrasonic RCM as I find it a pain to do that then vacuum or have two units. I know this method may yield better results but I’m lazy 

The Consonance is $980 on the website 

Let us know how you go as I have not committed yet 

Edited by jakeyb77

36 minutes ago, josh0571 said:

Hi Blake

I got the smaller of the two Pro-ject machines, the VC-E, a few weeks ago, and I reckon it's fantastic. Well-built, easy to operate and every record I've cleaned has sounded better. Well worth considering for sure.

Cheers

Josh

20200705_202211.jpg

I have the same one it’s brilliant. 

15 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I had settled on the Consonance one from Osborn. It has fluid and vac in one and is a metal casing. 
The old Pro-Ject was wood which was stupid for a wet system. It’s now metal so it’s another option. 
I just gave away an Ultrasonic RCM as I find it a pain to do that then vacuum or have two units. I know this method may yield better results but I’m lazy 

The Consonance is $980 on the website 

Let us know how you go as I have not committed yet 

I think the Kirmuss is probably the cheapest of the known brands. Since it doesn't have a drying option, I'd probably go with initial was on the Pro Ject, then deep clean on the Kirmuss and then final drying on the Pro Ject again. Cumbersome, but even brand new, you're spending under $3k.

Guest jakeyb77
6 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

I have the same one it’s brilliant. 

Might be a good candidate for a possible group buy?? @Marc ?

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, Cardiiiii said:

I think the Kirmuss is probably the cheapest of the known brands. Since it doesn't have a drying option, I'd probably go with initial was on the Pro Ject, then deep clean on the Kirmuss and then final drying on the Pro Ject again. Cumbersome, but even brand new, you're spending under $3k.

Yeah I loved the Kirmuss the first time I saw it. I just wish they would finally make a lid that took 4 x 12” as an option. I have no need for smaller slots. Then it seems to use its own liquids and endless brushes and anti fungals etc. 

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, Cardiiiii said:

Now that's a good idea, although I'd prefer the larger one myself.

Yes for the extra $100 I would too. 

26 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

My Nitty Gritty - which I've had for 25 years - also has a wood (walnut) case; I've never found it to be a problem?

26 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I just gave away an Ultrasonic RCM as I find it a pain to do that then vacuum or have two units.

If you implement a 1 micron filter circuit in your ultrasonic cleaning regime ... you don't have to vacuum dry, afterwards.  :o

Although I do believe the "Dryer Cube" that I bought - ie. blow dry - is a better option than simply air drying.

Andy

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, andyr said:

My Nitty Gritty - which I've had for 25 years - also has a wood (walnut) case; I've never found it to be a problem?

If you implement a 1 micron filter circuit in your ultrasonic cleaning regime ... you don't have to vacuum dry, afterwards.  :o

Although I do believe the "Dryer Cube" that I bought - ie. blow dry - is a better option than simply air drying.

Andy

You’re probably more careful than others....?. But I meant the MDF based ones with vinyl covering. Eventually the fluid seems to get in. 
I’m assuming this is why the Pro-Ject is now aluminium 

The filter is too much of a PITA for me... And also I don’t like the surface scratches that can occur with drying racks etc. 

Edited by jakeyb77

Just now, jakeyb77 said:

You’re probably more careful than others....?. But I meant the MDF based ones with vinyl covering. Eventually the fluid seems to get in. 

Aah, sure, Jake - you said 'wood' ... so I assumed you meant 'real wood ' ... not sawdust & glue:lol:

Andy

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, andyr said:

Aah, sure, Jake - you said 'wood' ... so I assumed you meant 'real wood ' ... not sawdust & glue:lol:

Andy

I didn’t want to write MDF and then someone come along and tell me it’s some other acronym or material and how could I be so ill informed ?

Guest jakeyb77
2 minutes ago, blackangus said:

I've been using this for the last seven or so years. https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ev1.htm - I guess at the moment post and exchange won't make it as appealing an option.

Also Decibel do a budget RCM although I've not used it

I’m getting anxiety thinking about having to clean your huge collection ?

7 minutes ago, andyr said:

Andy

For those who haven't heard of a Nitty Gritty...They have been going strong since the 80s.

3 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I’m getting anxiety thinking about having to clean your huge collection ?

Although there are definitely countless here with larger collections  than me that's a fair call @jakeyb77 - I reckon other options would be way quicker! I have discovered numerous fluids that seem to make the job go faster...beer...whisky...not on the records...

But this was def way cheap when I bought it and makes a massive difference. 

There is the SqueakyClean, a 3D printed cleaning system for a lot less than $1K.  It's manual, not automatic, and you need to supply the wet vac.  There used to be some good videos on their home page, you might need to search for them on YouTube now. 

I’ve had the original Project VCS with the wooden body for about 3-4 years now and it’s been absolutely amazing. I’ve got a modest collection of about 500 albums and I’ve cleaned them all with the unit. No issues with the wood swelling or anything like that at all. 

Prior to the Project I had the Record Doctor V and before that a Knosti. 

Re-cleaning my collection with the Project was a revelation. It managed to remove junk which the Record Dr could not move. Albums sounded cleaner, better top end and less surface noise. The spindle of the Record Dr used to get very warm and slightly warm up the record during cleaning which would cause it to temporarily warp, no such issue with the Project. 

I switched from the supplied Project fluid to Melody Mate shortly after getting the machine based on the advice from here and was very impressed. It totally out performs the supplies fluid and also any of my home made concoctions. I also ditched the Project wooden brush and use a Shur Line premium wheel edger paint applicator from Bunnings with micro brushes which do a better job, easier to clean and don’t drop fibres on the album. 

I would love to get one of their new smaller aluminium bodied machines just to have the smaller footprint but with my collection all clean I just do the occasional album these days so it doesn’t seem worth it. 

Happy to answer any questions you may have :)

Drew  

• Like 3

I sold my Nitty Gritty RCM as the LPs would dish if I used steam to clean them.

That was necessary for moldy records.

I have a VPI 16.5. They do come up for sale occasionally at around $1k, but you need to be quick.

I have had QAC members bring albums to me to clean after they had already been through a ultrasonic machine.

They have always been happy with the results.

If you have a large vinyl collection, a RCM is an invaluable tool.