Constrained Room - Sealed Option Idea...

Hi All

I'm wanting to add an additional sub into my theatre room however the first was a stretch with the missus in terms of placement.... Unfortunately the couch, tv unit etc was bought before I decided to start playing with the audio and I've really got no where ideal to put it.

What I've been considering today though is our couch is modular with the boxy arm rests able to be removed entirely. On the opposite side of where i've got my current sub the arm rest is approximately 10cm from the wall and what I am considering is replacing it entirely with a built sealed unit.

I've measured it up and I can build it with internal dimensions nearly smack on 4cft which matches the 12 Ultimax I'd likely end up with (already have one)

My question though....

Whilst not ideal in this situation the driver would be firing directly into a wall, there would be a space of approx 10cm (approx 4inch) between the front of the driver and the wall.

Would this make things worse or just mean I'm not getting the most out of the driver?

My poor mans sketchup of what the box / driver might end up looking like, the box would have enough room for the driver to sit in, it could probably go on the front if i widened it but would then be facing away from the people sitting there and straight out of the door.

Untitled.jpg

1 hour ago, Craggs2341 said:

Whilst not ideal in this situation the driver would be firing directly into a wall, there would be a space of approx 10cm (approx 4inch) between the front of the driver and the wall.

Would this make things worse or just mean I'm not getting the most out of the driver?

As long as the subwoofer is restricted to subwoofer frequencies (ie. lowpassed at ~80Hz) .... then this will work better than you might expect.

The biggest worry would be rattles from the wall vibrating, or from the sub vibrating against the couch.

You (as usual) will want EQ capacbilitis somewhere in the system, to be able to get the subwoofer response flat/right.

• Like 1