Posted (edited)

Hi all

Looking to do a similar build to both of these threads with a budget of about $2k

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/305377-a-semi-quiet-pc-gaming-build-suggestions/

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/314309-gaming-pc-purchase-advice/

These threads have been very helpful as have the millions of YouTube videos I have wasted time watching even at 1.5x speed haha.

I haven't built a PC since 2004 but it does look easier now.

I have recently done Win 10, SSD and RAM upgrades to an old Toshiba P750 I7 2630QM GTX540M 8GB RAM and I am finding it very good as a web browser/ general purpose laptop.

I also have a Metabox P157SM gaming laptop also I7 4710MQ with a GTX970M 16GM RAM which has been great but I don't need 2 laptops. I think a desktop will suit me better now. I will advertise the Metabox for sale here and elsewhere soon if I can handle the clowns on Marketplace and Gumtree.

So I am looking to build something that is a decent gaming performer, quiet, upgradeable later, space to accommodate the HDDs I already have and very simple looking with no LEDs or at least the ability to turn them all off, WIFI 6 would be nice, USB C. This will be my for everything PC and mostly attached to a 60 inch TV but I will want a 144Hz monitor later and hopefully ultra wide for extra FPS viewing. This will also run Roon, stream movies etc. I am a little bit flexible with some of this.

I am not a massive gamer but enjoy playing Age of Empires 3, Starcraft 2, Dirty Bomb, COD 2, COD MW3, Destiny 2, Counter Strike GO, Grid and am looking forward to the new AOE 3 DE. Already have a decent wireless keyboard and a very good Logitech G700s wireless mouse that can be wired too. Also using a Netgear D7000V2 NBN modem router which has been fine for me on an NBN 50 plan.

Pretty much set on AMD as they perform, decently priced, don't always need a mobo upgrade and I want to support them. I think there needs to be more competition. I know Intel's single thread and gaming performance is still a bit better. Amazing how good the I3 10100 is but I like the idea of keeping a B450, B550 or X570 and just upgrading a chip whether it be the new 4000 series AMD or just Ryzen 7 3xxx

Anyways this is my list of parts at PC case gear. Not final and hoping for suggestions and help. Open to shopping around etc too

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/bQ47tU

2022687977_pccaseg2.thumb.JPG.696823308ea3ca3599c3c2a506a11781.JPG

Some points on this...

1. I have an SSD I can use for Windows and a few games but would like an M.2 later maybe?
  2. I have 2x 2TB HDDs I would like to use and ideally would like to be able to add another large one like 6 or 8TB. Seems hard to find a tower with three or more 3.5 bays. Ideally would like 4x 3.5 bays. Seems most are mid ATX cases especially if cheaper
  3. Happy to add the Noctua cooler later but would be good to have it sorted from day 1. This isn't so much for overclocking though I would like to play with the standard BIOS overclocking a little. It is more to keep things quiet and cool. I have seen a video showing how these help keep other parts of the mobo and RAM cool as it isn't soaking for the CPU. Also there is no thermal throttling which does look like it happens on the AMD 3600 and 3300x
  4.  I like the idea of a gaming mobo but not set on the one chosen though I do want it to support the next gen. Also a header for front USB C would be nice but maybe settle with 1 on the rear?
  5.  Struggling a little with case. Would like a case with front USB C but not all mobos have front and rear so maybe not necessary. Finding 3x 3.5 drive bays is hard too. I don't need or want a CD drive. Most seem to come with 2 case fans but happy to add 2 more later.
  6. Struggling with what PSU. Would like it to be quiet or even silent at low loads. Maybe auto fan speed? Not 100% on what connectors are needed and would like it to support the next gen processor power input. I did see a video that on the B550 it had 2 or 4 extra power ports that aren't used for gen 3
  7.  Graphics cards are expensive! Doesn't seem to be worth buying used either. Am thinking just buy a card now that will last me a decade. I am open to 'flashing' a Radeon 5700 to save a little bit of money. Also open to Nvidia if necessary.
  8.  What should I do for Windows? Just a cheap CD key from a 3rd party?

I think that's about it. Any advice would be great especially on PSU, case, motherboard and where/when to buy. Have seen staticice and OZbargain

Thanks

Edited by Bunno77
addition

I hear the wraith cooler bundled with the amd chips is quite decent for non overclocking use.

Perhaps dump the noctua cooler and up the gpu to a gtx 2070 super?

@warweary Thanks mate.

Yeah I don't need the Noctua straight away and will likely never get one if I install the standard.

I don't really know which of the 2 to pick. Seems to depend on the game as to which card is best.

Is there any advantage to ray-tracing with Nvidia or PCI 4 with the AMD?

While the Noctua cooler is a great cooler..................when I couldn't find mine recently, I opted for this Coolermaster as a stop gap until I did.

But I'm keeping it in there as it is smaller and just as quiet..............cheap too.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-tx3-evo/

https://www.ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product/122868p108_367/RR-TX3E-28PK-R1.ht

@LogicprObe Thank you

That is a lot cheaper. I guess I am getting suckered into buying the best straight off. How would that go with a CPU upgrade later on?

22 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

@LogicprObe Thank you

That is a lot cheaper. I guess I am getting suckered into buying the best straight off. How would that go with a CPU upgrade later on?

It will still be better than the stock cooler.

I had mine out a couple of weeks ago and lapped the base to a really smooth finish as it is a bit rough out of the box.

@LogicprObe oh that doesn't sound good. Some of the dies are a bit strange with the heat pipe making contact with cpu

24 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

@LogicprObe oh that doesn't sound good. Some of the dies are a bit strange with the heat pipe making contact with cpu

All of them, even the Noctua are rough on the bottom.

The paste fills the gaps but for best performance, gamers usually lap the block.

They even do the watercooling blocks.

That said, it seemed to work fine out of the box.

Sorry wrong Forum. Can this please be moved to computers and tech?

Looks good. Like they said, the AMD cooler is pretty decent as is. To save more cash, you can drop the b550 and get a MSI b450 Tomahawk or carbon gaming max for savings and just pour it all in graphics cards. Don't really need PCIe 4.0 for gaming/typical desktop usage. 5700xt is only a few fps behind a 2070 but if you're chasing performance, nothing wrong with going up the ladder. It's just the price to performance gain that drops. 

So spent ages trying to find what parts to buy then found pcpartpicker. To get everything I wanted was coming to about $2,100 but from many places so shipping etc would be extra and a pain. That was with the Noctua, an M.2 SSD and a case that supported both 3x 3.5inch drives and USB C which can drop back each of those saving about $350

Found this used system for sale and happens to be a friend of a friend of mine and lives close by...

Ryzen 7 3700x - 8 core 16 thread CPU with 4.4GHz boost, using Wraith Prism cooler Radeon MSI 5700XT Mech OC - I have replaced the thermal pads and thermal paste in this GPU, so under full load, memory and core temps hover around 70. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WiFi motherboard 16gb (2*8) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600mhz RAM. Gigabyte 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD. Gigabyte G750H semi modular 750W GOLD rated PSU NZXT H510 case, 4 case fans included (2 nzxt, 2 fractal design)

This system has some pros and some cons.

CONS - No WIFI 6, no rear USB C though there is a header and USB C on front of case, only 2 x 3.5 inch drive bays and the noisiest 5700XT there is, RGB memory but assuming it can be turned off or sold easily, stock cooler but the better one from AMD, Only BT 4.2, HDMI 2.0

PROS - Price, hard drives, better CPU 3700x, case fans, better PSU and it is prebuilt, Windows, will accept the next gen AMD CPUs.

So picking it up on Saturday.

Plan to under volt the graphics card (hoping with his paste and pad swap and under volt it will be quiet), upgrade CPU cooler (seen many vids and it is still noisy and can thermal throttle) the Noctua does fit but may go cheaper, and can add a Wifi 6 card later when/if upgrade the router and or internet (lol this is Australia).

So I think this will be a better overall PC, a lot less drama and cheaper.

107372473_10219777741452869_7329442069097569391_o.jpg

Seems this CPU needs a better cooler even more

Can a moderator please move this to computers and tech?

@wolster @betty boop

To answer a few questions.

Yes AMD have been using the same CPU pin design for a while now, so it's been easy to upgrade a PC by just getting a newer chip and dropping it into the old motherboard.....BUT, don't expect that to stay that way for much longer, they are due for a change.

Unless doing some serious overclocking and worrying about cooler fan noise, then the cooler you have chosen will do the job perfectly well.

This day and age you NEED a SSD for at least your OS, preferably a M.2 Type, cheaper and don't take up a drive bay slot [not that you'll find many drive bay slots on most new PC cases ]

As for Windows, well Windows 11 is released on July 29, so I'd opt to get that rather than Win 10.

Might be a bit different to what you're looking at but I built this through last year's eofy sales for under $2k...saved about $400. Don't know what the deal was this year...Deals were pretty average!

Ryzen 7 2700X

2x8GB 3000mhz ram

Asus ROG STRIX RTX 2060

B450-i motherboard 

Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD

Originally started with the stock cooler but then changed it out after a mild overclock.

Good luck with your quest!

Screenshot_20200708-013723_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200708-013757_Gallery.jpg

20 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Can a moderator please move this to computers and tech?

@wolster @betty boop

@Marc is this possible?

@tim_tam87 looks very good.Huge graphics card

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Tweaky said:

To answer a few questions.

Yes AMD have been using the same CPU pin design for a while now, so it's been easy to upgrade a PC by just getting a newer chip and dropping it into the old motherboard.....BUT, don't expect that to stay that way for much longer, they are due for a change.

Unless doing some serious overclocking and worrying about cooler fan noise, then the cooler you have chosen will do the job perfectly well.

This day and age you NEED a SSD for at least your OS, preferably a M.2 Type, cheaper and don't take up a drive bay slot [not that you'll find many drive bay slots on most new PC cases ]

As for Windows, well Windows 11 is released on July 29, so I'd opt to get that rather than Win 10.

Thanks mate

Yeah looks like they are due for a socket change but apparently the 550 and 570 boards will support whatever the next one is.

Plenty of vids show the stock cooler noise to be quite loud in games and does still thermal throttle especially with the 3700x which gets a bit hotter than the 3600 I was looking at. For a small amount of money for a cooler to keep it and the motherboard cooler/quieter I can't see why not to upgrade it but will have to see how noisy this MSI 5700 is I guess.

Hadn't even heard of Win 11 but good to know thank you. Buying the used one already comes with Windows 10 but I guess 11 will be a free upgrade anyways?

Edited by Bunno77
fix

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Tweaky said:

As for Windows, well Windows 11 is released on July 29...

I think that's a scam.

Edited by Satanica

23 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I think that's a scam.

You might be correct.

I was a bit skeptical when a mate told me about win 11, as I thought it was too quick a upgrade since win 10 release, but I never bothered to check till just now

TBH I couldn't be bothered updating windows yet again when I only just installed Win 10 on two desktops.

But it does beg the question, if Windows 10 is supposedly the last version of windows, and it will be perpetually updated, surely that means that Windows will basically become a subscription model OS by default, and a sneakily changed business model at that.

How long before we have to start paying for Windows updates is the big question.....and if we still want to.

I loathe subscription software, and will avoid it wherever possible, I ditched Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom because it went to subscription only.

It's also the reason I didn't by into Pro Tools audio recording software, went and bought Presonus Studio One DAW software instead, which ironically had a major upgrade to a new version number last night, thankfully I purchased it within the Grace Period, so I get a free upgrade [only eligible by a few days - Phew!], but even with the announcement of the new version this software has now started a subscription model along side it, which is NOT going down well reading posts at the forums.

I have the option to upgrade my software to V 5 or take a one year subscription of the new SPHERE version....V5 thanks.

It's also the way ROON intends to go according to a Interview I read with their CEO, eventually dropping the option to purchase the software.

What is with peoples acceptance of paying for something they will never own ?

Something that if they use and have content made /edited or stored on that software, they will no longer be able to view/edit/access if they stop their subscription.

Madness, and something I certainly won't buy into.

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Thanks mate

Yeah looks like they are due for a socket change but apparently the 550 and 570 boards will support whatever the next one is.

Plenty of vids show the stock cooler noise to be quite loud in games and does still thermal throttle especially with the 3700x which gets a bit hotter than the 3600 I was looking at. For a small amount of money for a cooler to keep it and the motherboard cooler/quieter I can't see why not to upgrade it but will have to see how noisy this MSI 5700 is I guess.

Hadn't even heard of Win 11 but good to know thank you. Buying the used one already comes with Windows 10 but I guess 11 will be a free upgrade anyways?

Not being a owner of AMD CPU's I was surprised by something I just read about in Sound on Sound magazine when they did head to head tests of AMD V Intel CPU's when running various music making software.

This type of software is renown for being incredibly taxing on CPU's

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/core-wars-amd-intel-cpus-tested

It seems to get best performance from AMD CPU's, you need to get RAM that runs at the exact same clock speed as the CPU, which sort of explains some of the [WTF] weird clock speed RAM I saw listed at the PC CASEGEAR site.

QUOTE:

AMD's chip design is based around 'Zen' microarchitecture, with the cores interconnected by an internal data bus known as the Infinity Fabric. We've found the optimum setting for the AMD chips to talk to the GMI (global memory interconnect) to be around 3733MHz. Sadly, for previous Ryzen generations this was impractical and the figure would often be tweaked downwards, to optimise interaction with slower memory.

So basically you want a motherboard that can run high speed RAM, and RAM that runs at 3600 or higher.

@Tweaky yeah I did read about that too. My initial parts list and the PC I am buying have 3600 RAM :)

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

@Tweaky yeah I did read about that too. My initial parts list and the PC I am buying have 3600 RAM :)

I got the same for my recent Intel i5 build. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4

Once I had the OS installed and everything was running OK I went into my MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboards software and let it auto overclock the RAM, it's running at 4000mhz without a sweat and could probably run higher.

@Tweaky wow seems like a big jump. Noticeable difference?

This is on a PC that is built specifically as a DAW, running Presonus Studio One Pro and software instruments like Arturia V7 collection software synths/keyboards, which can big hogs on CPU and RAM.

Loading software instruments and other effect plugins is noticeably quicker, and so is changing from the recording page to the mixing page etc.

My only grip is that I'm going to need a lot more RAM in the future [ I'm talking about 128GB ], and looking at my MB's specs I can only run 2 X 8GB sticks of this particular RAM with this MB, and certainly at this speed.

You win some you lose some.🙄

At least I get to enjoy the speed until the 4 X 32GB sticks of RAM eventually get bought.....in no hurry and it's a big expense.