21stcenturyquaker

Recommended mm cartridge up to $800

I have an Ariston RD80sl with Mission 774 arm and Nagaoka 110 cartridge. I really like the 110 but am looking to upgrade it. Rest of system is Naim 32.5 pre, nap250 power and Teddy Pardo PS and Epos Elan 35 floorstanders.

Any recommendations for a new mm cartridge up to about $800?

Thanks,

Philip.

Ortofon 2M Bronze...

Havng said that, what do you think is lacking with the Nagaoka - it has a good rap from just about every reviewer.. 

Also the Nag needs a bit of running in.

Do you need to think about speaker placement etc. A lot cheaper..

The Nagaoka is a great bang for the buck but it's tax time and I've got bucks for a bigger bang!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Garrott Bros P77i

The bronze seems so popular, there must be something in it.

I know nothing of the Garrott carts but it would be good to support local manufacturing if they are a worthy contender.

Given the Mission is a low mass arm, are the bronze and p77i classified as high compliance cartridges - which I believe are best suited to low mass arms?

Thanks again for your input.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 21stcenturyquaker said:

Given the Mission is a low mass arm, are the bronze and p77i classified as high compliance cartridges - which I believe are best suited to low mass arms?

Yes, you need a high compliance cart for your Mission.

According to the Vinyl Engine cart database, here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Ortofon&mod=&t=any&sort=2&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

... the Ortofon Bronze certainly is.

The VE database also shows the Garrott P77 as high compliance - just a bit lower than the Bronze.  So it's highly likely the P77i is high compliance, too.

Andy

PS: It seems Audio Trends, in Ringwood sell the P771.

Edited by andyr

20 minutes ago, 21stcenturyquaker said:

The bronze seems so popular, there must be something in it.

I know nothing of the Garrott carts but it would be good to support local manufacturing if they are a worthy contender.

All the Ortofon 2Ms are most suitable for low mass tonearms.

I have a 2M Silver on a low mass arm they do like each other...

(must confess to having crossed over to the dark side as in rich dark chocolate and I’m running a Fidelity Research FR-1 mc cart courtesy of my brother and I don’t know that I’ll ever come back...)

3 minutes ago, markielinhart said:

All the Ortofon 2Ms are most suitable for low mass tonearms.

I have a 2M Silver on a low mass arm they do like each other...

(must confess to having crossed over to the dark side as in rich dark chocolate and I’m running a Fidelity Research FR-1 mc cart courtesy of my brother and I don’t know that I’ll ever come back...)

Wow, that's a switch!  :o  FR-1 ... very low output - are you using a SUT with your phono stage?

Andy

Thanks for the compliance clarification and the vinyl engine link.

Of course the dark side is tempting, but the mm phono cards in the Naim pre are keeping me in check!

1 minute ago, 21stcenturyquaker said:

Do you have an opinion on cart choice Andy?

I've heard neither, I'm afraid ... but if I was spending my money ... I would buy the P77i.

That is ... if I couldn't find a top-end Stanton!  :)

Andy

A Stanton 881s or Pickering XSV3000 with original stylus are exceptional in a low mass arm.

These look a little hard to come by, but you never know what'll pop up in the classifieds.

i have used an Ortofon 2M Bronze in a mission arm, worked very well, a friend had a Garrott P77 on a Mission TT and ?upgraded to an Ortofon MC, i preferred the Garrott

6 hours ago, andyr said:

Wow, that's a switch!  :o  FR-1 ... very low output - are you using a SUT with your phono stage?

Andy

Hi Andy, tis indeed a switch. I’ve recently added an NAD C-162 preamp that has MC or MM input and an Advance Acoustic MMA-402 amp. Now, for me that is a big Step Up 😐

Mofi Ultratracker

The 2M black can often be found for the $800 mark both on eBay and locally. May be worth calling a few dealers. 

drew 

1 hour ago, astormsau said:

The 2M black can often be found for the $800 mark both on eBay and locally. May be worth calling a few dealers. 

I’ve read a couple of reviews that have compared the 2M Black (and Orange) to a Moving Coil due to their silver coil windings. Way to go...

Low mass arm? ADC XLM II's supposedly sing on low mass arms and can be obtained second hand for well within your budget. Second hand Grace carts are worth considering as well.....the only is issue there would be availability of replacement styli. Now almost unobtainium.....

Thanks to everyone for your insights and information - you've certainly given me much to consider.

Philip.

+ 1 for the 2M Black. The performance delta between the Bronze and the Black is worth the extra money/wait time, IMHO

10 hours ago, astormsau said:

drew 

What he said

From what I've read, true high compliance carts seem to be confined to the vintage era. As manufacturers tonearms have increased in mass, so cartridges have decreased in compliance.